Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is unbelievable this might be my most precious relic yet. I didn’t have much time I went on my lunch break because I saw this stream that runs through my town and normally it’s got a lot of water in it but it hasn’t rained in a while and I saw some rocks so I went for it. I saw lotta broken glass, blue white shards and a lot of iron and then I pulled up this NOT A DING ON IT!!! How can one man be so lucky? The Lord is good

Attachments

• D4D6FF75-A2EB-4059-ACE9-B6F0DC8532A2.jpeg
    D4D6FF75-A2EB-4059-ACE9-B6F0DC8532A2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 474,008
  • 1D8F9DB1-D4BC-4ABA-AD46-EC602CA4A03D.jpeg
    1D8F9DB1-D4BC-4ABA-AD46-EC602CA4A03D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,407
  • C1C88572-9D72-4793-8F48-B64AACDEBFFC.jpeg
    C1C88572-9D72-4793-8F48-B64AACDEBFFC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,088
  • FBD9E28F-1D03-418D-B30B-553DBBF122C1.jpeg
    FBD9E28F-1D03-418D-B30B-553DBBF122C1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,124
  • 270A2B9C-FF54-4300-968C-C43ADC7D35FE.jpeg
    270A2B9C-FF54-4300-968C-C43ADC7D35FE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,433
Upvote 153

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No I’m not gonna polish it LOL I’m gonna do some research on that preserving brass thank you
It appears to be copper. Is that just the photo or is it really copper color?

I'm not sure why cleaning and polishing it would be bad. In museum restoration metal objects are usually cleaned and restored to their original condition as much as possible.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me say how sorry I am for the loss of your wife Truth, my condolences my friend. :sadsmiley:

You'll always have the memory of this incredibly historic find, congratulations on achieving BANNER #2!

Dave
I appreciate everything you said yeah it was like being in the movie I never hot in water streams of what not we have a lot of lakes and rivers and they all are saying bottoms that go down about 3 1/2 feet but this was like a waste stream and I found it in less than 20 minutes I went back there again today warmer bought out and I found was iron pieces and smashed aluminum cans.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations, Truth! What a fantastic find, especially for a short lunch break! Thanks for sharing!
Alfie it always happens I will find the most incredible thing in the first half hour and get nothing after that and I’m talking about a whole field I found a 8 Reales and nothing I mean nothing else. You probably never noticed but I don’t really show a whole Lotta great things that I found while on a four hour hot if I get something GREAT normally it’s the only thing I half to show Because this is happened to me so many times it’s true everything I find is 95% public property so I have to detect a lot to find great finds i’m just glad we have the history here to be able to do it my state has old history it could be anywhere

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears to be copper. Is that just the photo or is it really copper color?

I'm not sure why cleaning and polishing it would be bad. In museum restoration metal objects are usually cleaned and restored to their original condition as much as possible.
It could very well be copper I wonder how your test it

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That, my friend, is an absolutely INSANELY GOOD FIND!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely Banner worthy IMHO. Congrats!!!!!!
Hey silver I am still just amazed I went back at the same spot today found all aluminum cans in my first 15 minutes of fun that and got a leave the whole night I was thinking it was filled with buttons and everything else it was a rough day. But yeah this baby is getting buried with me For sure

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would be the prize of any collection ! Well deserved banner find.
I appreciate that LowTide it’s out there. I don’t water hunt ever are we go to the beach is in Mississippi but they’re filthy and I’ve done in Florida Beach Detecting and it burns my calves and it was never my thing I like that dirt and the first time I do this I found that beautiful specimen it was like I pulled Excalibur out the rock lol

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is unbelievable this might be my most precious relic yet. I didn’t have much time I went on my lunch break because I saw this stream that runs through my town and normally it’s got a lot of water in it but it hasn’t rained in a while and I saw some rocks so I went for it. I saw lotta broken glass, blue white shards and a lot of iron and then I pulled up this NOT A DING ON IT!!! How can one man be so lucky? The Lord is good
Wow, I don't know what to say...that's an awsome find. Congratulations are in order. A find like that is a once in a lifetime!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It could very well be copper I wonder how your test it
A simple rub with a soft cotton cloth in an inconspicuous area would reveal the yellow color of brass underneath. If the color remains reddish copper it's not brass.

I seriously doubt it's brass, being in the water, the zinc would have migrated to the surface and you would see gray/green/white crumbly residue on the exterior instead of the red color of copper.

During the period your design was manufactured the better ones were made with a copper body and a brass measuring spout. It was believed that combination was sparkless (an important consideration!) and the copper was less prone to corrosion from the powder than brass.

As far as conservation the first step would be to get the top unscrewed and give the inside a thorough cleaning with clean cold water. The Potassium nitrate in the gunpowder residue will have displaced most of the more soluble copper sulfate in that wet environment. Hot water will put any copper sulfate still in the flask into solution and you really don't want to lose that while there are still nitrates in the flask.

The washing should be a slow gentle process. Keep the flask under clean cold water without any agitation or rubbing. Change the water every day or so. Try not to disturb the flask while you are changing the water. This is no time to use a hose or faucet, just gently and slowly fill the soak container from a pitcher. A bottom drain will be helpful. This process may take a week or a month or a year. Patience is the key to success. Placing the flask on a removable rack will make the whole process much easier and you won't have to handle the flask to remove it from the water bath.

If you start to see a green tinge on the copper your water is not clean enough, you will have to use distilled water if that's the case.

Once you think you have gotten most, or all, of the residue from the inside shine a bright light into the flask in a very dark room. Look for pinholes and areas where you can see some light through the metal. If the flask shows no light and the gunpowder residue is gone you can move on to final conservation or restoration. You will have to decide which you want to do because the copper will continue to deteriorate if you just leave it in it's current state.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I don't know what to say...that's an awsome find. Congratulations are in order. A find like that is a once in a lifetime!
I would agree when I found my first 8 reales I thought once in a lifetime and now I got three but I believe this relic in this condition is definitely definitely once in a lifetime my friend I appreciate the kind words all throughout the day I keep staring at it LOL

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one heck of a find! I've never seen one in that good of shape. Congratulations on the find and making the banner.
I appreciate that my friend when I pulled it out of the murky water hole and it was shiny with that big beautiful eagle no cleaning necessary it was like a spiritual awakening lol

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic! I wonder if maybe some kid was playing with it more recently and lost it? I read about a guy in the 1930s who found some kids playing with an old revolver in a sandbox. He examined it and it was a genuine Colt Walker .44. He traded a brand new cap pistol for it, and it is now valued at over $100,000.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Truth, Great to see you not only posting, but Saving some fantastic CW History! Your right, this powder flask is in near perfect condition. It doesn't get any better than this. The Lord is indeed Good. Take Care and Congratulations to you on a Banner find sir. Well Done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread