Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is unbelievable this might be my most precious relic yet. I didn’t have much time I went on my lunch break because I saw this stream that runs through my town and normally it’s got a lot of water in it but it hasn’t rained in a while and I saw some rocks so I went for it. I saw lotta broken glass, blue white shards and a lot of iron and then I pulled up this NOT A DING ON IT!!! How can one man be so lucky? The Lord is good

Attachments

• D4D6FF75-A2EB-4059-ACE9-B6F0DC8532A2.jpeg
    D4D6FF75-A2EB-4059-ACE9-B6F0DC8532A2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 474,008
  • 1D8F9DB1-D4BC-4ABA-AD46-EC602CA4A03D.jpeg
    1D8F9DB1-D4BC-4ABA-AD46-EC602CA4A03D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,407
  • C1C88572-9D72-4793-8F48-B64AACDEBFFC.jpeg
    C1C88572-9D72-4793-8F48-B64AACDEBFFC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,088
  • FBD9E28F-1D03-418D-B30B-553DBBF122C1.jpeg
    FBD9E28F-1D03-418D-B30B-553DBBF122C1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,124
  • 270A2B9C-FF54-4300-968C-C43ADC7D35FE.jpeg
    270A2B9C-FF54-4300-968C-C43ADC7D35FE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,433
Upvote 153
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is unbelievable this might be my most precious relic yet. I didn’t have much time I went on my lunch break because I saw this stream that runs through my town and normally it’s got a lot of water in it but it hasn’t rained in a while and I saw some rocks so I went for it. I saw lotta broken glass, blue white shards and a lot of iron and then I pulled up this NOT A DING ON IT!!! How can one man be so lucky? The Lord is good
Awesome find I dont think I would have returned to work lol Congrats thats really nice

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need some advice on this powder flask. I got good news the good news is I got it open and what was in there was the mechanism that opened it up which was so hard to get open but I have the peace the bad thing was was I broke the shell holder in the top on hopefully I can get that soldered is that possible? Third it’s got a whole lot of black stuff in there what should I clean it with?

It was a little lever that went on the flask that was in there while I was put a little too much muscle on getting it open the brass sides of the tub broke I have to have it re-soldered I don’t know who does that
Any tinsmith at a sheet metal shop should be able to do that,or a jeweler.

AlluvialFan

Greenie
Aug 24, 2019
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool! Congrats!

AlluvialFan

Greenie
Aug 24, 2019
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple rub with a soft cotton cloth in an inconspicuous area would reveal the yellow color of brass underneath. If the color remains reddish copper it's not brass.

I seriously doubt it's brass, being in the water, the zinc would have migrated to the surface and you would see gray/green/white crumbly residue on the exterior instead of the red color of copper.

During the period your design was manufactured the better ones were made with a copper body and a brass measuring spout. It was believed that combination was sparkless (an important consideration!) and the copper was less prone to corrosion from the powder than brass.

As far as conservation the first step would be to get the top unscrewed and give the inside a thorough cleaning with clean cold water. The Potassium nitrate in the gunpowder residue will have displaced most of the more soluble copper sulfate in that wet environment. Hot water will put any copper sulfate still in the flask into solution and you really don't want to lose that while there are still nitrates in the flask.

The washing should be a slow gentle process. Keep the flask under clean cold water without any agitation or rubbing. Change the water every day or so. Try not to disturb the flask while you are changing the water. This is no time to use a hose or faucet, just gently and slowly fill the soak container from a pitcher. A bottom drain will be helpful. This process may take a week or a month or a year. Patience is the key to success. Placing the flask on a removable rack will make the whole process much easier and you won't have to handle the flask to remove it from the water bath.

If you start to see a green tinge on the copper your water is not clean enough, you will have to use distilled water if that's the case.

Once you think you have gotten most, or all, of the residue from the inside shine a bright light into the flask in a very dark room. Look for pinholes and areas where you can see some light through the metal. If the flask shows no light and the gunpowder residue is gone you can move on to final conservation or restoration. You will have to decide which you want to do because the copper will continue to deteriorate if you just leave it in it's current state.
Lots of great info/instructions! Curious, did you major in Chemistry?

Ole man Digger

Greenie
Sep 10, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet find of a lifetime

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe someone knows. Did the soldiers carry a Powder flask during the revolutionary war or war of 1812 ? I think during the civil way they charges were wrapped in paper and carried in a leather pouch type container

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find and we’ll deserved banner. I hope you have success in repairing and preserving.

My queen just passed away two months ago from Covid I haven’t done much Detecting but I guarantee you she had something to do with this It was too perfect I shove my hand in this water and gravel I just pulled this thing up in all it’s glory no model on it now I have an aerobic clean it it came out just like that it’s mine blowing
I’m glad you said that. I was thinking the same thing.

AlluvialFan

Greenie
Aug 24, 2019
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, that's not one of my majors but I've worked with several major museums and high end auction houses. The former conservator at the Met was my best friend, we had a lot of fun with some of the goodies there. :thumbsup:
Wow! Sounds like fascinating work! If I ever find anything even half as good as Truth, I know who I’m reaching out to for advice! :notworthy:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The flask is fixed and it came out more beautiful than ever. I learned where I messed up was for some insane reason I thought it’s screwed so I was trying to twist it hindsight I knew nothing screwed back then rookie mistake. I’ve always had to learn the hard way

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The flask is fixed and it came out more beautiful than ever. I learned where I messed up was for some insane reason I thought it’s screwed so I was trying to twist it hindsight I knew nothing screwed back then rookie mistake. I’ve always had to learn the hard way
Truth, as to;
" I’ve always had to learn the hard way, "
I have been there & done that many times myself ! I'm sure many others T'hers here can say the same. We are always learning new
methods & ways of going about saving an old piece of history.
You did a great job all-around. First you found & saved it. Then you restored it very nicely. Congrats !!!
I added a second image to commemorate your great find & restoration. CHEERS !!!
Truth's Colt Powder Flask#2.png

Attachments

• Truth's Colt Powder Flask#2.png
    Truth's Colt Powder Flask#2.png
    1 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, as to;
" I’ve always had to learn the hard way, "
I have been there & done that many times myself ! I'm sure many others T'hers here can say the same. We are always learning new
methods & ways of going about saving an old piece of history.
You did a great job all-around. First you found & saved it. Then you restored it very nicely. Congrats !!!
I added a second image to commemorate your great find & restoration. CHEERS !!!
View attachment 2005588
Jose I love how you do that for me visually shows me the journey I’ve been through with the mistake of learned a lot from but all is well and again I appreciate you doing a fantastic job of presenting it to meI love it and I appreciate you my friend

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time in awhile I logged into T-net truth and the very first posting I see is of you with another fantastic find. Congratulations old buddy. Also so very sad to hear about the queen. Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread