This is VERY UPSETTING 1!1!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a Auto Zone store the other day, I had a box of DEF Fluid (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) Set of Windshield wipers for my truck . When i walked in the counter help were talking and laughing about something. I went and got all this stuff by my self. No one offered to help or ask me if i needed help. I went to the counter to pay for the items. One clerk said this counter please. I stepped there and the clerk started to ring me out, He told me that would be 57.28 i started to pay him and the phone rang. He then told me just a minute ND PICKED UP THE PHONE !!! He then starterd asking the person that called what kind of car and year. he had and started talking to him about options. WHILE i was THERE WITH CASH IN HAND FIRST waiting to pay and he IGNORes me and thinks he is doing a SERVICE to the person on the phone. I WAS NOT POLITE when i told him where to STICK the things i was GOING to PURCHASE !!! and STORMED OUT !!! When i got home i called a Auto Zone office and reported it. They told me they had to answer the phone . I TOLD them Cash IN hand was MORE IMPORTANT then a PRICE QUOTE!!! What do you think ?

JethrowClampett

Greenie
Oct 7, 2019
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra 3Vi, Whites MX Sport, Whites TDI, Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I find many of the retail stores are short staffed, resulting in the employee wearing several hats. There is also competition to get good employees with increased benefits and wages leaving some employers hiring workers with little or no experience. Many retail outfits are now offering $22.00/hr ($45,700.00/yr) plus benefits to attract employees.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!" as they say. Corporate policy let a paying bird get away.

I'm with you and feel you handled it perfectly. You let corporate know they need to adjust their policy with that call.

Answering the phone is important but what happened was tantamount to someone cutting in line and the employee saying it is ok to do that and in fact "It's company policy".

Similar things have happened to me before and usually, I'm patient but sometimes I get rubbed the wrong way.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to even find a good parts store anymore. I chop some of that up to poor training, but alot of these younger kids are very inconsiderate these days in my eyes. The other thing I see in my area, is alot of stores dont like accepting cash either.
They would rather you pay with a plastic/card. Times are definitely changing, for the worse it seems.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to even find a good parts store anymore. I chop some of that up to poor training, but alot of these younger kids are very inconsiderate these days in my eyes. The other thing I see in my area, is alot of stores dont like accepting cash either.
They would rather you pay with a plastic/card. Times are definitely changing, for the worse it seems.
This is ALSO TRUE !!!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a Auto Zone store the other day, I had a box of DEF Fluid (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) Set of Windshield wipers for my truck . When i walked in the counter help were talking and laughing about something. I went and got all this stuff by my self. No one offered to help or ask me if i needed help. I went to the counter to pay for the items. One clerk said this counter please. I stepped there and the clerk started to ring me out, He told me that would be 57.28 i started to pay him and the phone rang. He then told me just a minute ND PICKED UP THE PHONE !!! He then starterd asking the person that called what kind of car and year. he had and started talking to him about options. WHILE i was THERE WITH CASH IN HAND FIRST waiting to pay and he IGNORes me and thinks he is doing a SERVICE to the person on the phone. I WAS NOT POLITE when i told him where to STICK the things i was GOING to PURCHASE !!! and STORMED OUT !!! When i got home i called a Auto Zone office and reported it. They told me they had to answer the phone . I TOLD them Cash IN hand was MORE IMPORTANT then a PRICE QUOTE!!! What do you think ?
LOL at a local hardware store its just the opposite.The door hasn't even shot and "can I help you" rings out. Same thing going down ever stinking isle ,another... "can I help you" ? :BangHead: I can't get out of that place without 4 to 5 No thanks I know what I'm looking for

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL at a local hardware store its just the opposite.The door hasn't even shot and "can I help you" rings out. Same thing going down ever stinking isle ,another... "can I help you" ? :BangHead: I can't get out of that place without 4 to 5 No thanks I know what I'm looking for
I also have experienced this also. . This is fine with me. When I walk in the door they ask me . This is ALSO WHY i go to them places FIRST !!! ACE Hardware is a prime example /To me this is not being rude just good business

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never understood why/how stores operate like this. They need to staff places with more than one person at a register. The goal is to make money. Paying should be top priority. I see this everywhere in retail. Probably why it’s dying off. Level of service isn’t there.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have experienced this also. . This is fine with me. When I walk in the door they ask me . This is ALSO WHY i go to them places FIRST !!! ACE Hardware is a prime example /To me this is not being rude just good business
Amazon Prime ! One or two clicks, No questions asked,No BS, 2 days its here .And returns are easy as buying .:icon_thumright:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's almost as annoying as having to wait in line while the cashier diddles around with lottery tickets for somebody. Many times I just set my stuff on the floor and walked out.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me, everyone is in a hurry.
Granted, most business phones have a "hold" button, but if you're in that big of a hurry, maybe you should have left 5 minutes earlier.

S L O W D O W N people.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not surprised and, like you, I refuse to beg any business to take my money. It is their job to make it as easy as possible to get you to spend. Employers get from their employees exactly as much as they expect. I blame top management for the poor attitudes in retail business today. Corporate investors only worry about making a profit today and selling tomorrow. No long term ambition to grow a business as long as they get theirs today. I wonder who, if anybody, trained this employee. Most likely this is the same attitude towards customers they have.

I guess we shouldn't expect much when you consider most people are letting the public schools and universities raise their children and decide what values they shall instill. Look around at what teachers and their unions are pushing today and tell me its not a direct correlation.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit a usual parts place.
They know me.
Many has been the time they get a dead battery or two out of the bed of my truck and put the new ones in thier place. I consider it considerate service.

Traffic ahead of me , or taking calls , or a conversation with the mechanic about something? There are stools there.
Multiple stores I've encountered someone I know taking a stool behind the counter to visit and socialize. Not a crime.

Sometimes I tell myself I have the rest of my life to work on something , or go home. A rare occasion when I encounter much delay looking for parts though.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've actually had that happen more than once. Standing there waiting to pay & they're wasting my time with someone shopping prices!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to new Amerika. it will only get worse. Many younger people these days are brain dead twits that couldn't find their private parts if they weren't attached, much less understand customer relations and common sense etiquette. I actually expect ignorance and stupidity these days. It's the status quo.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me, everyone is in a hurry.
Granted, most business phones have a "hold" button, but if you're in that big of a hurry, maybe you should have left 5 minutes earlier.

S L O W D O W N people.

You are missing the point. It is common standard business practice to take care of the customer in front of you first. rather than a potential customer on the phone. a simple..."Hello, this is Autozone can you hold please?" would have sufficed It's disrespectful to the customer to be shunned aside when he was already in the process of a business transaction. if the OP was in that big of a hurry, he wouldn't have left his stuff and went somewhere else. Think about it. It's called principle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread