OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me, everyone is in a hurry.
Granted, most business phones have a "hold" button, but if you're in that big of a hurry, maybe you should have left 5 minutes earlier.

S L O W D O W N people.
MAYBE you was the person that Called !!!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are missing the point. It is common standard business practice to take care of the customer in front of you first. rather than a potential customer on the phone. a simple..."Hello, this is Autozone can you hold please?" would have sufficed It's disrespectful to the customer to be shunned aside when he was already in the process of a business transaction. if the OP was in that big of a hurry, he wouldn't have left his stuff and went somewhere else. Think about it. It's called principle.
Diggumup you hit the nail on the head !!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just FYI, Many stores require employees to answer and help the caller, employees don't have a choice. Not saying it is right, just that many times the employee's hands are tied if they want to keep their job.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gare, I managed a Schuck's auto parts in the eighties. I would put all lines on hold ( not with a hanging customer, just to stop incoming ) when we were getting slammed. I thought it more important to help the person right in front of me.

Sometimes, I would answer the phone, say hello, and put them on hold, until finishing up with my customer, or until an employee was available.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The employee should have answered the phone with "thank you for calling Autozone please hold."... finished with you and then taken the call.

Or just finished with you then answered... one or the other only.

In my opinion this is a no brainer... and "the way" things have been and are done round me anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just FYI, Many stores require employees to answer and help the caller, employees don't have a choice. Not saying it is right, just that many times the employee's hands are tied if they want to keep their job.
Every time I run into a store like this I ALWAYS tell the store manager if around and then call the higher ups and give them my view point and tell them i WILL NOT BE BACK !!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life is full of many problems and setbacks, I try to choose my battles these days by not sweating the small stuff. I'm holding out for the day they put pickles on my burger after I told them NO pickles.
I ALSO tell them NO PICKLES !!!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never understood why/how stores operate like this. They need to staff places with more than one person at a register. The goal is to make money. Paying should be top priority. I see this everywhere in retail. Probably why it’s dying off. Level of service isn’t there.
VERY WELL SAID BENNY !!!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in retail, and that was total BS, Gare. I have to multitask and I prioritize. I don't have to answer the phone that much, but a lot of other things I got to juggle. Very simple, I will answer that phone right away, tell the guy on the phone hold on a second I got to take care of this customer and I'll be right back with you. They don't like it they can call back, but you're there in person with cash in hand and that is our goal to get your money. I have told corporate before employees need training in how to prioritize. Come to my store, you need help, doesn't matter how much I got goin on, I WILL get you taken care of, right away. I'm old school, customer first, plus, I'm a customer still sometimes.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a Auto Zone store the other day, I had a box of DEF Fluid (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) Set of Windshield wipers for my truck . When i walked in the counter help were talking and laughing about something. I went and got all this stuff by my self. No one offered to help or ask me if i needed help. I went to the counter to pay for the items. One clerk said this counter please. I stepped there and the clerk started to ring me out, He told me that would be 57.28 i started to pay him and the phone rang. He then told me just a minute ND PICKED UP THE PHONE !!! He then starterd asking the person that called what kind of car and year. he had and started talking to him about options. WHILE i was THERE WITH CASH IN HAND FIRST waiting to pay and he IGNORes me and thinks he is doing a SERVICE to the person on the phone. I WAS NOT POLITE when i told him where to STICK the things i was GOING to PURCHASE !!! and STORMED OUT !!! When i got home i called a Auto Zone office and reported it. They told me they had to answer the phone . I TOLD them Cash IN hand was MORE IMPORTANT then a PRICE QUOTE!!! What do you think ?
Sad... But..... The new normal.:BangHead:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been in an AutoZone store since the counter person asked me what is a "Nova"...
Kind of along the same lines back in 2004 I drove my 67 GTO to the local Pontiac dealer to look at the new 2004 GTO. A young salesman walked out and asked if he could help me. I told him I was just looking at the new GTO. He looked at my car and asked what it was. When I told him it was a 67 GTO he asked me who made it. I just smiled, thanked him for his time and drove away.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I get it. My wife and I went into an Office Depot store last weekend to purchase some printer ink and a few other items. The store we went to was in the town next to where we live now. Long story short, we felt very unwelcome by the employee staff. No one, not one spoke to us or asked if they could help us find anything. Instead we were met with a few glares as if to ask what we were doing there, and some actually saw us and walked away from us in an opposite direction. I wish we had an Office Depot in our town, but we'd most likely be met with the same rolled out welcome mat.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare, I managed a Schuck's auto parts in the eighties. I would put all lines on hold ( not with a hanging customer, just to stop incoming ) when we were getting slammed. I thought it more important to help the person right in front of me.

Sometimes, I would answer the phone, say hello, and put them on hold, until finishing up with my customer, or until an employee was available.
kay you did the right thing as far as i am concerned. But stores should take care of the customers in front of them first :)I f i walk in and they are on the phone this is a different story :)

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AutoZone here they know me by my first name, but call me by my last with a Mr.I have been at the counter many a time and they have answered a ringing phone with me standing there but they always say AutoZone can you please hold, I am waiting on a customer checking out.But I do use Rock Auto a lot for price you can not beat them just have to plan ahead but they usually have parts with in a couple days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread