This metal detector just convinced me I am 'getting' old.

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
trdis.jpg

Found some random metal detecting blog today and he had some photos of machines under the title

"What they looked like before we were born. Old metal detectors"

Of course the first photo just happens to be the first machine I bought from Sears when I was in the 11 grade.
It broke and ended up in the trash heap but now I wish I still had it along with all the guitar effect stomp boxes I bought new in high school because I know now they are easy to fix and vintage cool now.
That first time I took that machine out in the middle of the woods I found my only walking liberty half I have ever found, found it immediately , did not even swing the coil, set the coil to the ground to get a good grip and it went off. Boy I thought finding treasure was going to be easy after that!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice vintage detector! :occasion14:

Yesterday, I was thinking "if I only had a high end detector in the early 70's"...all that silver! :dontknow:

Last edited:

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1732973

Found some random metal detecting blog today and he had some photos of machines under the title

"What they looked like before we were born. Old metal detectors"

Of course the first photo just happens to be the first machine I bought from Sears when I was in the 11 grade.
It broke and ended up in the trash heap but now I wish I still had it along with all the guitar effect stomp boxes I bought new in high school because I know now they are easy to fix and vintage cool now.
That first time I took that machine out in the middle of the woods I found my only walking liberty half I have ever found, found it immediately , did not even swing the coil, set the coil to the ground to get a good grip and it went off. Boy I thought finding treasure was going to be easy after that!

Hey! That's kind of a new looking machine to me!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were around when there were no cell phones my kids always say and I say yep I was lucky I played outside.....

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...that's an oldie! My first detector was a mid 70's Compass detector that you would strap around your waist. I didn't find much with it, but enough to keep pursuing this most enjoyable hobby. My next machine was a late 70's Garrett Ground Hog. That machine sniffed out a lot of silver back in the day. Wish I had held on to it.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best detector I ever had (and I've had a bunch) was the 9000 Teknetics. That thing would give you a different tone for everything so you didn't even have to look at the screen. I found a lot of coins and stuff with it in 15 years. It would go deep too. Just got a T-2 today so I hope it compares with the 9000....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread