This must be my Month for strange Things Worms in Books HELP PLEASE ~~

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked on some books i had in one of my storage buildings. I had 3 books setting near the middle of one building. I looked at the top book and it looked like acid had gotten on it. After picking the books up and looking closer this is what i seen

worms2.jpg worms3.jpg

worms1.jpg

This was the bottom book of the three worms4.jpg

I have NEVER seen anything like this before. In my one storage area I have probably over 10,000 books. I am sure i need to do something about this . Does anyone else have any information and ideas. Most of my books are history books . Some of you that know me know that i have some very valuable books and i have gave some away to people on here. I need to save what i can. Please give me your ideas. What are these insects ?

Thanks in Advance

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,d say termites,run don,t walk to your nearest exterminator for a positive ID and what to do.

Many THANKS crashbandicoot !! BUDDY !!! I will look into it and report

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many THANKS crashbandicoot !! BUDDY !!! I will look into it and report

We gottem bad down here,they,ll destroy any thing wood or that once was wood,think paper.I,m a book guy,it ain,t real if I don,t have a book in my hand,so i can imagine your consternation.Best of luck getting them dead!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I'm glad that's something we don't have to deal with over here. When one of my friends was living in California he got fined for not carrying out his periodic fumigation for termites. Not something a Brit would be aware of as a requirement. I've seen similar damage caused by carpenter ants, which we do have (so does the US) but they're not a widespread problem.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gives a whole new meaning to "Book Worm!"

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Termites can digest cellulose with the help of microbes in their gut. Cellulose is the main component of paper made from wood, cotton or papyrus. So books are food for them. I've never seen damage to books before but my knowledge of termites is largely from the books of my profession (wood scientist) because we don't termites yet this far north. Good thing they didn't get at my books or I may never have learned about them! They sure are damaging!

Gulf Coast Pirate

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2021
Bayport, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be silver fish too, they are known to destroy books
Could be silver fish too. They are known to destroy books.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are numerous types of grubs that will eat paper. Call an exterminator asap. Sevin dust can kill a lot of bugs, but if you bring some inside the house, they may go nutso inside. I would not bring any inside till I knew for sure what they were.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All books with that damage need to be destroyed. Do not take any into your house. If you have some remaining that are not damaged, have them fumigated by a professional. I know books; it's what I do.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like termites. I hope you can save most of your books!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you were just being emphatic!:occasion14:Seriously,I,ve had that happen to me too,don,t remember what I did to fix it,I,m not real computer literate.Hey,I liked it all three times!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just go down to the feed store, 50 lb bag for $60 or so.
Put a mask on powder the living $hit out of that storage place.
End result:

Diatomaceous Earth is one of the most effective and generally safe insecticides for ridding your home of infesting insects—including termites.
The product works by shredding the outer shell of the termites and dehydrating them in a matter of days.

You probably got some around the farm.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go down to the feed store, 50 lb bag for $60 or so.
Put a mask on powder the living $hit out of that storage place.
End result:

Diatomaceous Earth is one of the most effective and generally safe insecticides for ridding your home of infesting insects—including termites.
The product works by shredding the outer shell of the termites and dehydrating them in a matter of days.

You probably got some around the farm.

It does work and is certainly eco-friendly, but it only works 'on contact' so it won't necessarily destroy a colony or nest (unlike efficient fumigation). If you're going to use it, make sure to get agricultural/horticultural grade... not the stuff sold for swimming pool filtration.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It does work and is certainly eco-friendly, but it only works 'on contact' so it won't necessarily destroy a colony or nest (unlike efficient fumigation). If you're going to use it, make sure to get agricultural/horticultural grade... not the stuff sold for swimming pool filtration.
Out of the 600+ mines in the states there's only 6 that are food grade quality.
If a person puts in the trackway of ants they'll bring back to the nest.
The worker termites will also spread the product to the soldiers, kings, and the queen over time.
"With all residual insecticides, the application process is key in effectively ridding the infestation. Never clump this product and always use a dust applicator to create a fine, nearly invisible layer of product over all structures infested or prone to infestation. Diatomaceous Earth will work if you have the patience to wait for the product to spread to the entire colony—which is worth the wait."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread