This picture is 1900-1925 where is this hole ?

bjcvieira

Sep 25, 2015
LIsbon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• oak_island.jpeg
    oak_island.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 262

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea. But I doubt it has anything to do with the money pit. It is a long way away from where that was thought to be.

It is also not the cave in pit.

OP
OP
B

bjcvieira

Sep 25, 2015
LIsbon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea. But I doubt it has anything to do with the money pit. It is a long way away from where that was thought to be.

It is also not the cave in pit.
Until they found something, the money pit can be anywere, there is no documentation, this is indeed a big and old hole, prior to William Chappell.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any clue on these guys ? View attachment 2051272
That’s from the time that folks thought pirates hid billions of gallons of crude oil under the island waiting for scientists to discover how to make gasoline for upcoming internal combustion engine automobiles.

The pirates were accomplished future thinkers.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes. so this hole no longer exists ? strange!!!!
Every shot (of that same area) I've ever seen All show the road, with no hole in sight.:icon_scratch: So when/who built the road ?

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Every shot (of that same area) I've ever seen All show the road, with no hole in sight.:icon_scratch: So when/who built the road ?
i love reading yer comments guys. gee, what kinda bull will they pull tonight. no kidding there are structures down there. how many seeker tunnels are there and i would guess they had snack bars so they would not have to come up all the time for air and food.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until they found something, the money pit can be anywere, there is no documentation
No... It has always been known the general area where the money pit was (to a 20-30 square feet area) thought to be. It was only ever the exact location that was in doubt. It is very well documented every hole dug after the first one... The first few of the holes dug in the 1800s included members of the original finders.

OP
OP
B

bjcvieira

Sep 25, 2015
LIsbon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No... It has always been known the general area where the money pit was (to a 20-30 square feet area) thought to be. It was only ever the exact location that was in doubt. It is very well documented every hole dug after the first one... The first few of the holes dug in the 1800s included members of the original finders.
From what i read that documentation that suposed to exist was lost, thats why they dont even know where is Chappel's Vault, and william chappell is 20th century it was supose to be well known less than 100 years later. There is indeed some area that is considered by everyone to be the money pit area, but i never saw any solid documentation that comproves that theory, if you are aware of such documentation please share i would love to read it. What i can see in this photos that are prior to william chappel is that is there a big hole in a place that today is consistent with the road location, if documentation about the money pit existed like you said why would they dig a hole in this location ?

Reactions: bjw

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what i read that documentation that suposed to exist was lost, thats why they dont even know where is Chappel's Vault, and william chappell is 20th century it was supose to be well known less than 100 years later. There is indeed some area that is considered by everyone to be the money pit area, but i never saw any solid documentation that comproves that theory, if you are aware of such documentation please share i would love to read it. What i can see in this photos that are prior to william chappel is that is there a big hole in a place that today is consistent with the road location, if documentation about the money pit existed like you said why would they dig a hole in this location ?
There have been links to lots of original documents in threads discussed here. The earliest documents are from the 1840s and have been shown/discussed here. (I believe I started a specific thread with links to a site that had posted the documents online in the past)

The reason no one can find chapels vault is because the original Chapel (1890s)never claimed it was a vault. The whole vault story was created by his son when raising money for his search in the 1930s. The original Chapel never claimed to have found something he thought was a treasure chest (unless he only told his son about it).

The son had the location of his fathers digs when he dug his hole in the 1930s

If you really want to do some research I recommend J.Steeles book "Oak Island Mystery Solved" there is also an updated edition "the final chapter" This was published a few years ago before she passed away. She has done extensive research. J.Steele was a local historian that spent many years researching Oak Island.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason no one can find chapels vault is because the original Chapel (1890s)never claimed it was a vault. The whole vault story was created by his son when raising money for his search in the 1930s
Chapell’s son…..yet another in a long line of hoaxers.

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a picture of a cove. There's a quarried hole adjacent to the cove at the foot of lot 18. The alleged money pit hole is said to be on lot 18 which was purchased by John Smith in 1795 from Casper Wollenhaupt who had owned that end of the island and used it for commercial purposes. He was a textile merchant from Lunenburg. The OI story rests on the suggestion that the treasure pit which brought outside speculation and investment was allegedly discovered on unfamiliar land visited by chance which had untouched evidence of older activity. The fact that it is isn't the case, and that one of the three involved in the story telling owned the lot at the date given is highly suspicious. Whoever crafted the OI origin story wasn't aware of the exact history of lot 18, or else he was and assumed that this sort of thing would not be scrutinized or be discoverable by casuals half a century later. It's hard to know for sure when the origin story was popularized, but it could be that it was only after the death of John Smith himself in the late 1850s. That would make sense, because the first printed rumblings of this are from the early 1860s. All efforts to pin down any factual details pertaining to searches prior to the 1840s have come up empty, but it does not mean that what was once onerously tried out/tested/suggested at an earlier time wasn't re-suggested later. The first rumblings of a depression over a pit with a block hanging over it from a tree branch are details in the events reported at Hobson's Nose, an island in Mahone Bay South of OI that has the distinction of being the first such story of a treasure mystery which is written about ca. 1830. Hobson's Nose is a minor account, yet it is noted in lore. Alleged earlier events at OI, ca 1803, are alleged to have been much more involving, and yet there isn't the slightest mention of that anywhere. Only later recollections serve as "evidence". The stories we get are inconsistent with reality. Today, this largely isn't considered even if a considerable amount of money was spent researching this in the 1980s. The consulting firm that did the history work concluded that there likely was nothing to these stories and that what proceeded to occur at OI was part delusion and part deception. In my opinion it is originally not-so-clever deception. In time the story will evolve to become a cleverer bit of storytelling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread