Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out twice this weekend and found some interesting stuff. My favorite find is the silver knee or hat buckle. I anticipate some debate on the material but I'm pretty sure it's fire damaged silver. (I'll test it later). It had its guts, but they were a solid glob of rust and I gave up trying to restore it.

On the other hunt, I broke the coin drought with a toasty KGIII Hibernia. Rough but I'll take it.

I'd love to get some feedback on the small buckle with the unusual chape. I haven't seen on like it. Wondering if it might be a spur buckle.

Also, found what I think is a fragment of powder flask with a deer on it. I searched hard for other pieces but found none.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_4264b.jpg IMG_4265.jpg
IMG_4267.jpg IMG_4268.jpg
IMG_4266.jpg IMG_4270.jpg
IMG_4285.jpg
IMG_4277.jpg IMG_4276.jpg
IMG_4290.jpg IMG_4281.jpg

Upvote 32

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That knee buckle is awesome and the rest aren't too shabby either- Congrats!

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunts! Congrats on the awesomeness!!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds LS. I would agree with your assessment about the knee buckle being fire damaged. Beautiful buckle!

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds! I'm hoping your knee buckle is solid silver, but it could also be silver washed/dipped. Back then many people did this to get the appearance of silver without the full cost. For example, here are a pair of silver-washed buckles I found at an old farmhouse on Long Island:

shoebuckle4.jpg IMG_4974.JPG

Either way, your finds are stellar! Let us know the results of your testing and keep it up!

Attachments

• IMG_4967.JPG
    IMG_4967.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 38

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds, LS! Could that possibly be a dog and not a deer?

attachment.php

Attachments

• flask.jpg
    flask.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 244
OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone.

Shakakka,
Still looking for mbcuce's missing silver test. It's definitely solid but it could be some alloy that I'm not familiar with. I do have some fire damaged silver coins that have the same appearance, though. I've included a side view, so you can see how thin it is. I think if it was plated, they would have used a beefier stock. The rust is on the surface. The buckle's innards had swollen and spilled out over the surface of the frame. I've saved one that was similar but this one just crumbled away.
IMG_4298.jpg IMG_4261.jpg

WannaDig,
Definitely could be a dog, now that I see yours. Thanks. That will help with searching for an exact match.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice finds. Were you able to uncover the date on the KGIII? It looks like it might have some detail under the dirt. (I Love KG coins....)

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice finds. Were you able to uncover the date on the KGIII? It looks like it might have some detail under the dirt. (I Love KG coins....)

Thanks, Brian. I toothpicked it and brushed it, and can't see a date, but I feel like there is still a film of crust or dirt. Do you ever use the heated peroxide method? I'm inclined to leave it, but I do like getting a date.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Brian. I toothpicked it and brushed it, and can't see a date, but I feel like there is still a film of crust or dirt. Do you ever use the heated peroxide method? I'm inclined to leave it, but I do like getting a date.

Lost, I try to use dry methods to the greatest extent possible. Specifically I like Andre's Pencils a lot, although I'm told tightly wound fine steel wool in some sort of tube (a thin straw maybe) can work like an Andre's Pencil.
I haven't had too much luck with liquids - they always seem to expose the pitted surface of the coin, and I feel like once that's exposed the coin looks worse than it did when there was dirt on it.

I posted a couple of threads about this exact subject that you might enjoy: (I have no idea why there is weird text throughout the post that looks like "?€™")

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/650751-large-copper-how-clean-properly.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/652171-cleaning-another-copper.html

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't find anything like that small buckle. Closest thing I see is the spur buckle. May be something else like horse tack buckle but from the same era, 1700's maybe.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't find anything like that small buckle. Closest thing I see is the spur buckle. May be something else like horse tack buckle but from the same era, 1700's maybe.

I was thinking it might be a spur buckle too, but the ones that are similar to mine have a loop that is oriented in the opposite direction, so that they can link to the spur hardware. The one I found wouldn't seem to work for that, so maybe it's from a bridle or something. It's still different from any that I've seen. Hmmmmmm.

IMG_4266.jpg
https://finds.org.uk/counties/findsrecordingguides/spurs/#18th-_and_19th-century_spurs

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking it might be a spur buckle too, but the ones that are similar to mine have a loop that is oriented in the opposite direction, so that they can link to the spur hardware. The one I found wouldn't seem to work for that, so maybe it's from a bridle or something. It's still different from any that I've seen. Hmmmmmm.

attachment.php

https://finds.org.uk/counties/findsrecordingguides/spurs/#18th-_and_19th-century_spurs
Very interesting not seen this type either.
Maybe a boot buckle??

awdw

Jun 19, 2017
Awendaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if Crusader hasn’t seen one, good luck finding an example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread