Thought I had a $500 skunk box.... but not so fast!!!

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Work got crazy busy the past couple weeks and I had not been able to hunt. I saw the sun on the horizon and had a chance to go out during lunch today to pick up some coin. First stop was my lucky bank of they year where I have pulled 3 silver quarters out of $600 of CWR. (really good numbers for quarters :)

I had never asked for a full $500 at this location before, but they were not busy and I did not want to make multiple stops. I did ask if they could make it up of as many customer wrapped rolls as they could which he said he "would see what he could do". To my displeasure he walked out with a beat up quarter box held together with clear packing tape. He opened it up and as expected they were all rolled in the same manner with the same exact wrapper. A GIANT $500 DUMP.

Being that it was the first time I asked for a box at this location and it is the closest bank to where I work I did not want to cause any issues and I told him it looked great with a smile on my face and walked out the door with it.

Upset that I got a $500 dump I decided to hit up one more location and get some MWR to hunt with the dump box so as to not be depressed going through 50 rolls of quarters. The teller only had $300 which I was more than happy to take off her hands.

When I got back to work I had 20 minutes to spare so I decided to crack open a few rolls. Much to my amazement the first MWR that I opened I found my first ever West Point quarter, a Lowell. I have gone through approximately 5K in quarters this year and finally found one.

Here is the kicker though.... Like I said I got the MWR to open intermittently with the CWR dumps that I picked up to keep it exciting. Well I popped open the 1st of 50 CWRs and out popped another W Lowell quarter :headbang::headbang::headbang:. and three rolls later I got another!!!!!!

I was only able to go through 6 rolls so I will be going through the rest throughout the week but I have a feeling I will finally get my West Point thirst quenched. :tongue3:

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good. I have gone through 20k of quarters and I'm frankly tired of it! I got 2 last week.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Congrats on finding your first West Point. Keep us updated. I've been hitting them consistently since April and I still don't have WiP or San Antonio.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were there any bag/machine marks on any? The last War in the Pacific I got has some mars on it.

OP
OP
moff347

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Were there any bag/machine marks on any? The last War in the Pacific I got has some mars on it.

Thankfully all 3 were in fantastic condition with no major bag marks. I will post pictures of all finds when I finish up the rolls.

ILikeMoney

Dec 21, 2014
OHIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the W’s. I’ve searched 6k and have found 8. Still have yet to find a single San Antonio. Keep us posted!

OP
OP
moff347

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well........ Unfortunately I went through an additional $200 worth of rolls during lunch today with zero W quarters found and noticeably lower 2019 coins. I guess I may have just gotten extremely lucky with the first couple rolls. I was really hoping that I had stumbled across a nice vein of them. To be clear I am not complaining at all I am very very very satisfied with finding the 3 I did yesterday.

The one find of today's search was an extra cactus leaf Arizona State quarter. Not a rare find, I personally have 5-6 of them from over the years, but I had not found one since picking quarters back up so a keeper non the less.

We shall see how tomorrows lunch search goes.

OP
OP
moff347

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Still making my way through the box. I have another $200 or so to go through. However, yesterdays lunch pulled out a 1964 silver and another Lowell W quarter!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds I'm still looking for a W mint mark quarter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread