✅ SOLVED Thought it was a fishing sinker but not sure.

WVExplorer

Jul 9, 2014
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garret Carrot, Recently retired Bounty Hunter Quicksilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find this on the river today and just assumed it was a normal fishing sinker. But I can’t find anything really like it. Most discs like this have a brass ring at the top. Maybe a home made sinker? I have found a lot of musket balls and case shot in the same area but I haven’t really seen any carved bullet sinkers like this. Also thinking a lead medallion for whatever reason?

Thanks.

7030BF3B-EF29-4116-9953-114A2D484A58.jpeg

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a home made sinker probably made from a musket ball. I have found them made from smooshed bullets and others that were cast in spoons and ladles. The heavier ones were probably used for hand thrown lines anything over a pound was probably a trout line sinker. Neatest one I have found was made out of a corn cob Cornbread mold.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WVExplorer

WVExplorer

Jul 9, 2014
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garret Carrot, Recently retired Bounty Hunter Quicksilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a home made sinker probably made from a musket ball. I have found them made from smooshed bullets and others that were cast in spoons and ladles. The heavier ones were probably used for hand thrown lines anything over a pound was probably a trout line sinker. Neatest one I have found was made out of a corn cob Cornbread mold.

Awesome. Thanks. The cornbread sinker would have been neat to find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat handmade item.
Corn shaped Bulk Lead ingots are still available today, don't know why the shape is so common.
but they do appear to be made in cast iron cornbread molds
I had recovered dozens of them while detecting New England shorelines :icon_scratch:
Then i found a pair attached to a square wooden shaft, and realized that if below the float section,
they'd keep your lobster trap bouys upright

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread