bullnose

Jan 21, 2019
Clinton County Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have insights on a good small magnifier or larger loupe that would help 52 year old eyes see detail on coins and such? I have a hard time seeing dates on coins with my bifocals on and off...

I've tried loupes in the 20mm range, but the small diameter and constant monkeying around with the focal distance just don't work for me.

I'd like something that I could hang from a neck strap, and I don't necessarily need something with illumination.

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a ten power loop that could hang. A cheap magnifying glass might work

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought a cheap 2" magnifying glass at the "dollar store"...works for my coin viewing!:icon_thumleft:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that bifocals (and trifocals) can be a problem when checking dates. I also use a variety of loupes but the greatest difference was to ditch my regular glasses for a pair of cheap reading glasses bought at the hardware store for a couple of bucks. In fact, I tested the glasses in the store by looking at a coin from my pocket. When I sit down to go through a couple of thousand coins, those reading glasses and decent light work for most. For double dies and errors, I grab a loupe, with the magnification depending on the type of error I suspect.

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into a waltex 3.5 inch round magnifier. It rotates in its own case and has 8 different power settings. just do a google on it. It is about $10.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The local Dollar Tree sells reading glasses for $1.00.
The 2.50 and 3.00 power glasses work well for me.
If I need more power I go with a lighted hands free desk magnifier.
It allows you turn the object at different angle easily.
I don't use this one, but I like it, it has different power mag glasses:
https://www.amazon.com/YOCTOSUN-Mul...gateway&sprefix=lighted+mag,tools,182&sr=8-34
Proper lighting is very important, It doesn't matter what power mag you're using, if you don't have good illumination at the proper angle, you are defeating the purpose of the magnifier.
Now only is brightness is important, but also angle of light.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did a short vid on you tube on loupes - dont know if it would help
search Casper metal detecting - youll find it and others

too_pointer

Apr 24, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro.
Garrett " Carrot " Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The local Dollar Tree sells reading glasses for $1.00.
The 2.50 and 3.00 power glasses work well for me.
If I need more power I go with a lighted hands free desk magnifier.
It allows you turn the object at different angle easily.
I don't use this one, but I like it, it has different power mag glasses:
https://www.amazon.com/YOCTOSUN-Mul...gateway&sprefix=lighted+mag,tools,182&sr=8-34
Proper lighting is very important, It doesn't matter what power mag you're using, if you don't have good illumination at the proper angle, you are defeating the purpose of the magnifier.
Now only is brightness is important, but also angle of light.

Looks like a good deal, and I need one anyways, so I ordered the one you have. Price is fine.
too_

lostcoast

Greenie
Nov 8, 2021
I've tried several real cheap loupes and found them wanting. Also, anything higher than 10x is mostly useless due to the narrow lens. Picked up a Belomo 10x and it's great. Has a 21mm lens. But I'd add that something about 4x to 6x power is what coin graders typically use.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an Optivisor for business reasons, but found it to be great for coins. It is expensive, though. Sits on your head and you can raise or lower the magnifier - will swing down over your eyeglasses, if you wear them.

DSC01946.jpeg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have insights on a good small magnifier or larger loupe that would help 52 year old eyes see detail on coins and such? I have a hard time seeing dates on coins with my bifocals on and off...

I've tried loupes in the 20mm range, but the small diameter and constant monkeying around with the focal distance just don't work for me.

I'd like something that I could hang from a neck strap, and I don't necessarily need something with illumination.

Look at Harbor Freight . They have the visor type magnifiers that the lenses plug into. You can combine two lenses if needed. Only ones I've found that actually work with my bifocals. With the 20% coupon around $10.

Blewfur

Jan 12, 2021
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have been magnifying my coins with my phone. Works ok for the clad I have been able to dig so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread