Thoughts on CT point?

ShortLobster

Jul 17, 2022
This was found in SW Connecticut. Seem similar to this Bare Island point: https://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/Bare_Island.html

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

IMG_3191.jpg

Upvote 13
OP
OP
S

ShortLobster

Jul 17, 2022
Well, I certainly don’t consider myself the be all or end all on Northeastern types. Most of the cherts that show up in Ct., and southern New England in general, will be Hudson Valley cherts. Almost always actually, except for jasper, which can be either from Pa., or from RI.

As for type, like yourself, I might lean Atlantic phase blade. But we should keep in mind Atlantics are considered an eastern correlate of the Snook Kill point. If found in eastern Ct., collectors might call it an Atlantic. But in western Ct., collectors there might know it better as a Snook Kill point. Need not be a coastal find, just as common in the interior.

My best guess…..
Charl,

I found this in SW Connecticut, about 10 miles from the coast. I'll see if I can connect with some locals to get their opinions as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

OP
OP
S

ShortLobster

Jul 17, 2022
I want to make an additional observation regarding the stem. After having a good look at both sides; it looks to have a snapped-off base. This could throw Adena in as a suspect type.

It’s a stunning artifact either way.
Just beautiful.
There is a chip on one side of the stem going up into the shoulder. I'm away for a week but will take a closer look at the end of the stem when I return.

And thanks, I'm really excited about this piece. I've found a few other pieces but nothing this nice.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a small well-used, broken Levanna just outside of New Britain CT made of that black material. I couldn’t locate it.

I’m going to post separately, a Susquehanna Broad point that I believe may be made of a variety of that material.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a small well-used, broken Levanna just outside of New Britain CT made of that black material. I couldn’t locate it.

I’m going to post separately, a Susquehanna Broad point that I believe may be made of a variety of that material.
Found it. Used up and missing an ear. I do think this little triangle is made of the same Delaware River - Black Chert.

Attachments

• CBED0D46-ADE8-4BDA-9F65-D11092AE713A.jpeg
    CBED0D46-ADE8-4BDA-9F65-D11092AE713A.jpeg
    376.4 KB · Views: 30

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m not familiar with the Delaware lithic. I showed the photos to Bill M., of Martha’s Vineyard, one of my local lithic go-to guys, and he could only suggest “probably one of the Hudson Valley cherts”. Here’s a broad point from Danbury Co., Ct., which would be SW Ct. I have some personal finds from RI that are glossy black chert. We always just assume NY Hudson Valley cherts, because that’s the usual source of chert in southern New England.

I’m not great at ID’ing the NY cherts because it’s very much a minority lithic in our personal experience. I can ID some of the Normanskill Chert, which comes in several colors. Onondaga Chert is grey to black, mottled, fairly easy to recognize.

4AEAA7B3-9628-4583-BFF2-F6316C6B8496.jpeg

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do not know how one distinguishes glossy black chert from New York from glossy black flint from Delaware. I do believe the black chert we find at our RI sides is far more likely to be one of the black Hudson Valley cherts….

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread