Thoughts on the Minelab Excalibur II

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking at doing some shallow water hunting this summer. I have a Blu3 Nemo so I'm not getting into deep water and only really want to hit old swimming holes. I was going to try hunting with a Nokta Pulsedive but the more I think about it I'm leaning towards an Excalibur II. I've never done underwater hunting so I'm clueless. How's the depth? How is it finding large coppers and silver coins?

Thanks for any help

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking diving or wading? If wading then why not just use the 800 or CTX? If wading then you're not going to like the Excal stock shaft and arrangement, super front end heavy, which is why just about everyone buys or makes an aftermarket shaft so they can redistribute the weight. Just not sure what you mean by "water hunting?"

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you talking diving or wading? If wading then why not just use the 800 or CTX? If wading then you're not going to like the Excal stock shaft and arrangement, super front end heavy, which is why just about everyone buys or makes an aftermarket shaft so they can redistribute the weight. Just not sure what you mean by "water hunting?"

The "Blu3 Nemo" he says he has is a battery operated snorkel system, 10 ft max.
Would not advise taking the Nox to 10 ft on a routine basis, with all the reports of water failure just wading. Any detector will find large coppers and coins to a decent depth, I think the Excal would be overkill for casual detecting, but you do need a dedicated water machine [as opposed to all the hybrids like the nox,simplex,at pro] to go down 10 ft. I would look into a CZ-21, I got a scuba buddy who uses one and besides being simple and reliable, you can strap the control box to your belt and wave the coil by hand.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have both the 800 and the CTX.....

But I also have the Excal II, so there's no question what I use in the water. Too many posts about both the 800 and the CTX leaking, and that Excal = VERY pleased with it....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Blu3 Nemo" he says he has is a battery operated snorkel system, 10 ft max.
Would not advise taking the Nox to 10 ft on a routine basis, with all the reports of water failure just wading. Any detector will find large coppers and coins to a decent depth, I think the Excal would be overkill for casual detecting, but you do need a dedicated water machine [as opposed to all the hybrids like the nox,simplex,at pro] to go down 10 ft. I would look into a CZ-21, I got a scuba buddy who uses one and besides being simple and reliable, you can strap the control box to your belt and wave the coil by hand.

To me, there's not enough difference in price between the Excal and CZ21 to choose one over the other. I'd recommend you rent, borrow, or at least handle both in person before making that decision. I like the Excal sounds and threshold hum much better than the CZ21 myself. Either one can be hip mounted, so, neither one has an advantage there. The Excal has more aftermarket coil options than the CZ. Both have excellent depth too.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll generally defer to those who own and use them, $400+ is a quite sizable difference to many. No question though that the Excal is still the queen of the water.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Excal so much I own 4 of them, all customized, all have straight shafts and each one has different size coil and all have the reverse discrimination switch mod. Also owned the Equinox 800 and CTX, If I'm hunting in the water I'm using the Excals, if on the beach I use the Nox 800.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, TH has 4 of them! And he's certainly been around the block a time or two :)

That should say something to all the wannabe water hunters out there!

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand

why you only have 4 ?

Attachments

• IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 203

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If the latest technology with a faster processor, enhanced sensitivity, light weight with VDI is important to you and you’ll not be diving and using it for land, dry and wet sand then the Equinox is for you.

If reliable waterproof capability when submerged and/or diving is the objective, then the Excalibur is the detector of choice. Keep in mind it has a slower processor and you’ll eventually modify it like Treasure Hunter described if you want the best it can be.

Personally, I have both and use the proper tool for the job at hand.

Just the view from my foxhole.....

OP
OP
Thebigd81

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Waterproof is my #1 objective. I don't want to submerge the CTX or Nox only to have water get in it. I have no issues learning a new machine and spend $ modding it down the road. Just want to get into swimming holes where there are probably things very few can get to.

Looks like I should get an Anderson straight shaft and knob guard? Again I'm clueless with underwater detecting but you all have been a help and I thank you

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Excal so much I own 4 of them, all customized, all have straight shafts and each one has different size coil and all have the reverse discrimination switch mod. Also owned the Equinox 800 and CTX, If I'm hunting in the water I'm using the Excals, if on the beach I use the Nox 800.

Yup, I have 3 Excals myself, along with the Equinox. As ColonelDan said, "proper tool for job at hand".

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal is certainly still king of the beach and shallow water hunting. Also has a long history of success and reliability. And once it's out of warranty you can even add all of the mods to make it even better.

OP
OP
Thebigd81

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been checking out the Anderson over/under shaft. Is that a good shaft to have for underwater?
Again all of this is foreign to me so I need some help haha

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Own all 3; Excal II, CTX 3030 and Nox 800. All have a place and price range.
Been using CTX 3030 w 17" coil lately for coverage in quiet surf (after breaking ear on 15" Nox coil). Have drowned CTX twice in past 5 years.
Really like Nox 800 w 15" coil in low surf and 11" coil for low rough surf and for small gold chains. Drowned it once, so far after 23 months (with pod in 2 ft of water). Now repairing 15" coil.
Had used Excal for all depths and surf conditions for 9-10 years. Never has been drowned. But battery cable rotted and I replaced, but wonder if it is still waterproof given my repair??? Coil cable might be going next...Now my back-up. But thinking of buying another Excal for deep water. Can't beat Excal for water proofing and deeper targets. At this time, I prefer the Nox 800 w 15" coil for low surf water/low tide hunting for recent drops.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been checking out the Anderson over/under shaft. Is that a good shaft to have for underwater?
Again all of this is foreign to me so I need some help haha
\
Check Steve's Detecting Rods, and Plugger for more options before you buy. I've used all three companies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions