Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! I hope you're doing well.
Recently I was granted permission to hunt at a home here in town that dates to the mid 1700's. Apparently there's a beam in the home with "1753" carved in it, and homeowners have kept it preserved (and not covered up or painted over) since then.

Anyway, I've only detected there for a few hours so far and I haven't found any old coins yet, but near the old barn stone foundation (which the owners have turned into a cool flagstone patio, where you can sit at a nice table surrounded by the old stone walls) I found three intact crotal bells, pictured below.

I've done my research into these types of bells but I seem to find conflicting information:
- since these are plain (they don't have the petal design), does that make them newer or older? (I've read that plain ones are often newer)
- It looks to me like the bells are made of brass, but I'm wondering if they're made of tombac? (that would make them older)
- it looks to me like the suspension "loop" was part of the casting and then drilled (I've read that this was an older approach to making the bells). NOTE: I added the wire to the single bell so that it was easier to hold onto and so that I wouldn't drop it.

Anyway, if any experts out there can weigh in on the approximate age of this design, I'd appreciate it.
I've given all 3 bells to the homeowners since they have 3 kids (about 5,7 and 8) and the kids thought they were super cool. I'd like to give the family accurate information on the age of the bells.

Thanks!

- Brian

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 544
  • 65663070236__CCE63DD3-B1C6-4D1A-B398-9407199A94C2.jpg
    65663070236__CCE63DD3-B1C6-4D1A-B398-9407199A94C2.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 19

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently I was granted permission to hunt at a home here in town that dates to the mid 1700's. Apparently there's a beam in the home with "1753" carved in it, and homeowners have kept it preserved (and not covered up or painted over) since then.

Anyway, I've only detected there for a few hours so far and I haven't found any old coins yet, but near the old barn stone foundation (which the owners have turned into a cool flagstone patio, where you can sit at a nice table surrounded by the old stone walls) I found three intact crotal bells, pictured below.

I've done my research into these types of bells but I seem to find conflicting information:
- since these are plain (they don't have the petal design), does that make them newer or older? (I've read that plain ones are often newer)
- It looks to me like the bells are made of brass, but I'm wondering if they're made of tombac? (that would make them older)
- it looks to me like the suspension "loop" was part of the casting and then drilled (I've read that this was an older approach to making the bells). NOTE: I added the wire to the single bell so that it was easier to hold onto and so that I wouldn't drop it.

Anyway, if any experts out there can weigh in on the approximate age of this design, I'd appreciate it.
I've given all 3 bells to the homeowners since they have 3 kids (about 5,7 and 8) and the kids thought they were super cool. I'd like to give the family accurate information on the age of the bells.

Thanks!

- Brian
Very nice congratulations

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks!

- Brian
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the 3 crotal bells Brian.
From digging many over the years dating from the 16-20 Century they are still a wonderful find.
The petal design was still around to the mid 19th century.
"Bells that are decorated only on the lower hemisphere tend to be of later date, usually late 18th to mid 19th century. Those with no decoration also usually date to this later period. There are, however, exceptions to this general rule, and plain bells of early post-medieval date are also known."
Though the reference for the latter plain bells would pre-date your find.
If I had dug them I would probably think very late Victorian early.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Probably the bronze type and late 18th to early 19th century. Some later ones were silver plated.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks!

- Brian
very cool finds, bet there is a lot more coming from that site

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Bells !

Look for maker's marks / initials on the bottom of Crotal Bells.
Then Google search - "Dating Crotal Bells" - there's one or two good websites with historical info.
If they are marked - you can usually find out the who, when and where of the bell.
Seems like a lot of them were made in the UK.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Bells !

Look for maker's marks / initials on the bottom of Crotal Bells.
Then Google search - "Dating Crotal Bells" - there's one or two good websites with historical info.
If they are marked - you can usually find out the who, when and where of the bell.
Seems like a lot of them were made in the UK.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've read those "dating crotal bells" websites (be careful what you google search when using the word "dating....") but didn't see clear guidance on this specific type of bell.
And these are very plain - no makers' mark, no designs...nothing.

As others have suggested my best guess is that they're from around 1800.

- Brian

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds and gesture on your part!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread