Three Good Days at the Beach (Post-Ian)

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to get in three days at one of my favorite beaches in Northeast Florida this week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and today - Saturday). Although Hurricane Ian didn't directly impact the area, the storm surge completely changed the profile of the beach, and made hunting it worthwhile.

DAY ONE
All Finds 10-04-2022.JPG

In addition to five wheat pennies from the 1940's and 1950's I found the following:
1906 Barber Half Dollar
1958 Quarter
1943 Mercury Dime
Three silver Roosevelt Dimes (1950's and 1960's)

DAY TWO
All Finds.JPG

The rings at the top are costume jewelry. However, I did find one wheat penny and two silver Roosevelt Dimes. I also found four silver chains (three in the same hole) marked "925 Italy" which weighed in at 102 grams. (I gave all of the fishing weights I found to a fisherman, just in case you were wondering why there weren't any!)

Here are the silver coins from days one and two post-cleaning:
Silver Coins Post-Cleaning Obverse.JPG
Silver Coins Post-Cleaning Reverse.JPG

DAY THREE
All Finds 10-08-2022.JPG

The finds of the day were:
2 silver rings (with the smaller weighing less than one gram and the larger weighing 12 grams)
2 wheat pennies
1937 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
Unknown Year Standing Liberty Quarter (toasted!)
2 Mercury Dimes
2 Roosevelt Dimes
1 small brass ship or boat spike

Here are the rings and coins.
Silver Rings.JPG

Silver Coins Obverse.JPG
Silver Coins Reverse.JPG

And, the brass spike:
Brass Ship or Boat Spike.JPG

I haven't had time to the clean the silver chains from Day Two or any of the silver coins or jewelry from today - I'm just too tired! As always, though, thank you for taking the time to view my post and I hope your next hunt brings you joy!

Upvote 38

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to get in three days at one of my favorite beaches in Northeast Florida this week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and today - Saturday). Although Hurricane Ian didn't directly impact the area, the storm surge completely changed the profile of the beach, and made hunting it worthwhile.

DAY ONE
View attachment 2049761
In addition to five wheat pennies from the 1940's and 1950's I found the following:
1906 Barber Half Dollar
1958 Quarter
1943 Mercury Dime

DAY TWO
View attachment 2049762
The rings at the top are costume jewelry. However, I did find one wheat penny and two silver Roosevelt Dimes. I also found four silver chains (three in the same hole) marked "925 Italy" which weighed in at 102 grams. (I gave all of the fishing weights I found to a fisherman, just in case you were wondering why there weren't any!)

View attachment 2049763 View attachment 2049764

DAY THREE
View attachment 2049765
2 silver rings (with the smaller weighing less than one gram and the larger weighing 12 grams)
2 wheat pennies
2 Mercury Dimes
2 Roosevelt Dimes

View attachment 2049766

View attachment 2049767 View attachment 2049768

And, the brass spike:
View attachment 2049769

I haven't had time to the clean the silver chains from Day Two or any of the silver coins or jewelry from today - I'm just too tired! As always, though, thank you for taking the time to view my post and I hope your next hunt brings you joy!
Great Post with Great Details.
I like the way you explained your day to day hunts
Congratulations

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k

DAY ONE
View attachment 2049761
1906 Barber Half Dollar
1958 Quarter
1943 Mercury Dime

DAY TWO
View attachment 2049762

DAY THREE
View attachment 2049765
2 wheat pennies
2 Mercury Dimes
2 Roosevelt Dimes

View attachment 2049766

And, the brass spike:
View attachment 2049769

What a haul!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I
Could the brass spike be 18th century or older, perhaps part of a Spanish Galleon maybe? Could be a good indicator of the location of a possible wreck nearby. You had a great hunt! 😁👍
I‘m not sure of the age, and this is the only time I’ve found something like this on this particular beach (North of St. Augustine).

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i THINK YOU DID fantastic !!!!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DAY ONE
View attachment 2049761
1906 Barber Half Dollar
1958 Quarter
1943 Mercury Dime

DAY TWO
View attachment 2049762

DAY THREE
View attachment 2049765
2 wheat pennies
2 Mercury Dimes
2 Roosevelt Dimes

View attachment 2049766

And, the brass spike:
View attachment 2049769

Awesome!!!!! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a great haul. By the way, how did you get the black off the old silver? That Barber looks especially nice. Congrats!
The dimes cleaned up quickly using a method posted by BuckleBoy:

The larger coins were more stubborn, so I let them soak in a mixture of 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt (well stirred) in an aluminum foil-lined bowl. It's a much slower electrolysis process, and you'll need to change the aluminum foil every 4 to 5 hours (as well as adding a new water/baking soda/salt solution). I must admit, I did rub the coins as the blackened corrosion began to fade (and attach itself to the foil). However, I've read that it's best to just rinse the coins in HOT water each time you replace the foil and solution.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread