Three tone Native point located while digging a pulltab signal, ID Please!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just dug this point up 30 minutes ago while metal detecting a colonial homesite. I really like the three colors the native incorporated. I would like to know what type it might be and of what vintage. Any responses will be appreciated!
IMAG0522.jpg
IMAG0529.jpg
IMAG0530.jpg
IMAG0535.jpg

Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Pretty sure it's rhyolite. The top is the rind or outer layer of the stone. Can't say I've ever seen
A point showing the outer portion of the host stone. I bet that was either the first or the last point produced from its blank.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They never finished it by the looks of the tip. Pretty cool how its made. I always figured the tip was chipped first then the rest was done. But I guess not. Nice study piece you have found. Now go back and find some more.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks complete to me.
Just an interesting piece the maker decided to use.
Looks like a Savannah River point.
Nice find.
Imagine the piece that it was made from coming off the core vertically..... the base being from further to the center of the material and the tip from the outer edge.

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
for the life of me I will never understand why you detectorists keep finding point digging random holes. Makes me want to take a shovel out the the woods and dig random holes like a gopher.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for the life of me I will never understand why you detectorists keep finding point digging random holes. Makes me want to take a shovel out the the woods and dig random holes like a gopher.

Haha.. so true!
I'm willing to bet there is a source of fresh water nearby.

OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the ID! What time frame are "Savannah River" points from? Woodland? I believe the stone is rhyolite. For everyone wondering why we detectorists keep finding points in random holes(at colonial sites) the reasoning is simple. Most colonial homes were placed on hilltops, high ground, and near a fresh water source. Natives occupied this same land until the early1700s in some places, so it is just a matter of time before you dig a Native relic.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Savannah River points date roughly between 2000 and 5000 b.p.

Brandiwine

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know right? I'm in fields full of plowed debitage, broken pieces and maybe a nice scraper....still no nice points much less a museum grade piece and watching metal detector enthusiasts pull them out randomly makes me wonder...

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, Brandi & Unclemac, they used to make me wonder as well...
I know right? I'm in fields full of plowed debitage, broken pieces and maybe a nice scraper....still no nice points much less a museum grade piece and watching metal detector enthusiasts pull them out randomly makes me wonder...

OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMAG0567.jpg
IMAG0569.jpg IMAG0569.jpg

This is the other nice point I dug while detecting, two miles away from the "Savannah River" point. I have found plenty on the surface, in poor condition most of the time, but the two dug ones ae' complete. I had this one Id'ed already, but I forgot what the fellow called it. I am thinking it also started with an "S."

Last edited:

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Savannah River point! I haven't really seen rhyolite like that here so that material itself looks cool. Here's two that I found in Surry County near Pilot Mtn; one is speckled rhyolite and the other is aphyric rhyolite. That's not too far from Mebane down I-40.

Attachments

• 0613132354.jpg
    0613132354.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 0614130004.jpg
    0614130004.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 108

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That last one pictured looks like a Stanley. Or a Stanley converted in a Savannah River. Stanley's have bifurcated bases as well but are a few thousand years older. That material itself, I have never seen before, not sure what that is? Brown rhyolite? That is a neat point too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread