Threshold and depth

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A detector that is designed as a silent threshold machine can at times match the depth of a threshold running detector however if your tecta has threshold adjust then by setting the threshold to just on silent then not much if any depth is lost but if you turn the threshold well below the silent point then considerable depth will be lost due to the target signal having to rise above the threshold setting before you can hear the tatrget signal.
My SST is silent threshold but the machine can still detect a 0.13g bit of gold as effectively as my gold bug pro in all metal mode in an air test. But If I set the Bug to a tad below silent threshold then It cuts the detection depth/distance in half for this machine.
If there is a lot of EMI about or the detector is chattering due to ground noise.then some people will set the threshold low enough to not hear the chatter which will result in lost detection depth.
Setting the threshold to just audible is ideal. Setting it loud will override a lot of target signals depending on the type of threshold operation.
Some detectors have two thresholds, one controlled by the Gain control and the other controlled by the Threshold control. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

yammy

May 19, 2019
West Sussex, UK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Golden Mask One 15 kHz, Whites DFX300mm, Quest Q40, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The biggest problem for me is I suffer from tinnitus and the last thing I need is a constant tone in my headphones so I set it just below audible and that works fine for me. Not noticed any loss of depth but of course as has been mentioned, if you go too far it will impact on detection depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread