Thrift store Silver!!!

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking through the silver plated spoons at a thrift store not expecting to find anything because I never do. Well. Bingo. Don't know a ton about silver spoons but %99 percent sure this is sterling!!! Can anyone varify for me? What stuck out is that it's not rainbowy colored like most plates, the markings look old, and it doesn't have 'plate' on it. Would it have value beyond the silver?

20210303_121344.jpg 20210303_121338.jpg 20210303_121325.jpg

Interested in all thing treasure related? Gemstones, metal detecting, silver 'n gold, vintage...you name it!!! Follow me and my treasure hunting on Instagram: @treasure_uncovered_

Last edited:
Upvote 25

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver indeed.

Joseph Rodgers & Sons of Sheffield, England with Sterling hallmark for 1911.

“A famous firm of cutlers and silversmiths founded in Sheffield in 1682. It was converted under the style of Joseph Rodgers & Sons Ltd in 1871. The factory was at 6 Norfolk Street, Sheffield and a showroom at 60 Holborn Viaduct, London. New large works were opened in 1899 at River Lane, Sheffield.”

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good eye, Congrats
Now what did you have to spoon out for the lovely deal?

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol your "jokes" sound like mine. It only cost $1!!! It's worth $13.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver indeed.

Joseph Rodgers & Sons of Sheffield, England with Sterling hallmark for 1911.

“A famous firm of cutlers and silversmiths founded in Sheffield in 1682. It was converted under the style of Joseph Rodgers & Sons Ltd in 1871. The factory was at 6 Norfolk Street, Sheffield and a showroom at 60 Holborn Viaduct, London. New large works were opened in 1899 at River Lane, Sheffield.”

Great!!! Thanks so much for the info!!! I have a treasure hunting Instagram account ( treasure_uncovered_ ) and was wondering if if you'd mind if I used your info for my post?

Also...since it's so old would it be worth more then it's silver value?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great!!! Thanks so much for the info!!! I have a treasure hunting Instagram account ( treasure_uncovered_ ) and was wondering if if you'd mind if I used your info for my post?

Also...since it's so old would it be worth more then it's silver value?

Feel free to use the information. The quote about company history was lifted from the "silvercollection.it" website.

As a generality, unless from a scarce maker; a highly decorative pattern; very early; or in really nice condition, Sheffield sterling flatware doesn't usually command much of a premium above spot price for silver. Sometimes pieces floated on eBay can do better since they may catch the eye of someone who needs a piece to add to or complete a set.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Feel free to use the information. The quote about company history was lifted from the "silvercollection.it" website.

As a generality, unless from a scarce maker; a highly decorative pattern; very early; or in really nice condition, Sheffield sterling flatware doesn't usually command much of a premium above spot price for silver. Sometimes pieces floated on eBay can do better since they may catch the eye of someone who needs a piece to add to or complete a set.

Great thanks so much for helping me :)

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice find ! I would most certainly polish it up and put it back into domestic service.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find Mvgirl, I second the motion of cleaning it up and putting it back in service. PS: 1911 was a good year!

Kalupa

Mar 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know about this coin? I couldn’t figure out how to post F5C3D0A7-7141-4E0C-B5B8-F37B790DF39B.jpeg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know about this coin? I couldn’t figure out how to post View attachment 1906994

It appears to be Spanish States, Fernando V and Isabel from between 1474-1497, but difficult to say if its authentic from the picture. I suspect it may be a copy. When you re-post could you kindly show the other side and give us the diameter (and weight if possible)?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice that it's Sheffield, makes it a little more interesting than London or Birmingham.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be Spanish States, Fernando V and Isabel from between 1474-1497, but difficult to say if its authentic from the picture. I suspect it may be a copy. When you re-post could you kindly show the other side and give us the diameter (and weight if possible)?
Agreed, a poor quality copy.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I've found that a fair amount of silver that is not marked with the word "sterling" that ends up being donated to many thrift stores is being overlooked and then considered to be silver plate and priced as such.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice, good eye! There's treasure everywhere!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread