Thrift store silver!

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I've always heard stories about people finding Sterling silver in thrift stores but I've never seen any in all my years of thrifting until today. About $450 melt worth for a little over 3 bucks. woohoo! Haven't checked yet if any might be worth more as actual silverware. (estimating weight on knives based on info from internet) Just mixed in with the usual piles of forks & knives I saw the color & started digging.

Attachments

• DSC07380.JPG
    DSC07380.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 18

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always heard stories about people finding Sterling silver in thrift stores but I've never seen any in all my years of thrifting until today. About $450 melt worth for a little over 3 bucks. woohoo! Haven't checked yet if any might be worth more as actual silverware. (estimating weight on knives based on info from internet) Just mixed in with the usual piles of forks & knives I saw the color & started digging.
Great pick.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorham Sterling

That's great. It's Gorham's "Chantilly" pattern, designed by William C. Codman in 1895. For sure those will be worth more than melt. They look to be in lovely condition.

Chantilly.jpg

Chantilly was in production for a loooong time and unfortunately Gorham didn't use their date marking systems on small pieces of flatware. Whatever the age, there will be folks wanting to expand a set they already have, or looking to fill gaps in partial sets which have missing pieces.

Last edited:

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found plenty of "Sterling" ware in various thrift shops over the years. I have never found any that were actually solid sterling with the exception of a singular baby cup that was solid .925. Every piece I've seen was plated and mentioned the word "sterling" in some kind of context with other words that makes it ambiguous. I.E. "Sterling Mills" or the like. Yeah, says sterling but in reality, it's plated. Fingers crossed for you on these. Hope the research pans out in your favor!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2011156 Would like to see the makers marks on all of these.
One mark that I can see on the knives looks an awful lot like STAINLESS.

Yes, it does. I didn't try zooming in to look for marks. No problem if that's what it says. It just means the pieces are later and - if they do actually say "Gorham Sterling" - then that refers to the knife handles being silver, not the blades.

Stainless steel became increasingly common for the knife blades on silver cutlery from the 1920s onwards. For Gorham's Chantilly, 1895 was the date for the pattern, not the production date. As I said, it was in production for a long time, and a lot of it was made in the 1950s.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Score!!!! Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet silver, congrats!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
View attachment 2011156 Would like to see the makers marks on all of these.
One mark that I can see on the knives looks an awful lot like STAINLESS.
It's common for sterling silver sets to have stainless blades and sterling handles. The fact that the blade is stainless doesn't necessarily mean the handle is as well. Now, a lot of these sterling handles are filled, so larger handles will average about 1/2 oz of silver per.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's common for sterling silver sets to have stainless blades and sterling handles. The fact that the blade is stainless doesn't necessarily mean the handle is as well. Now, a lot of these sterling handles are filled, so larger handles will average about 1/2 oz of silver per.
Yes, many of the handles were filled with a cement-like substance with a thin layer of metal on the outside.

OP
OP
gilgar

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Yes, many of the handles were filled with a cement-like substance with a thin layer of metal on the outside.
yeah, blade is stainless and handle likely filled, pure silver handles are not common at all. I found a site that gave estimates for how much silver might be in knives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread