Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing new, I believe this same pea trap style riffle is use in the gold cube.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The underflow is great... if all of the particulate matter is like sized. Like on a beach, where 95% of all sand grains are the same size. Otherwise, the user will be adjusting the moveable blades up or down all day. Built one myself, didn't work too well. As advised by another experienced individual, moved on, bought a sluice that really works exemplary on the super-fines.

I noticed that most of the videos on youtube take place indoors or in a lab setting that is carefully controlled. Please note that there are plexi-glass windows on the sides for the user to monitor the flow characteristics. This, in my humble opinion, will be a great sluice for the "process the sand by the tablespoon" user.

I suggest that you look at http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/481612-boil-box-fine-gold-beach.html

Check out http:/www.grumpyprospector.com if you want to buy one. Caveate emptor.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Underflow riffles and vortex mat make a superior, fine sand, beach gold set up(gold cube), but it must be 1/8- material going down the mats or you risk losing the good stuff. On the beach the material is almost all 1/8-.

and also watch Ray Rusaw videos on youtube, he's the king of beach sand....and that's all I got to say about that
unhappysmiley.png

For other places, look into http://goldhog.com/ mats....

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those sands in that video look like the Lake Michigan beach sand I deal with, only there's more of it and more gold too!

If that sand feels silky it's the same grain size.

OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The underflow is great... if all of the particulate matter is like sized. Like on a beach, where 95% of all sand grains are the same size. Otherwise, the user will be adjusting the moveable blades up or down all day. Built one myself, didn't work too well. As advised by another experienced individual, moved on, bought a sluice that really works exemplary on the super-fines.

I noticed that most of the videos on youtube take place indoors or in a lab setting that is carefully controlled. Please note that there are plexi-glass windows on the sides for the user to monitor the flow characteristics. This, in my humble opinion, will be a great sluice for the "process the sand by the tablespoon" user.

I suggest that you look at http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/481612-boil-box-fine-gold-beach.html

Check out http:/www.grumpyprospector.com if you want to buy one. Caveate emptor.

If you look at the finished product on the website you posted you see that the finished product is for concentrate separation.
The plexiglass version you see on the video is just the prototype of the product, allowing you to see how well the system works.
My plan is to run my material (Arizona desert) thru classifying screens first and use this system for the final cleanup. Seems more efficient than running everything thru a sluice or dry washer, cleaning out the miners' moss, then doing a final cleanup. Boil Box doesn't apply here.

* When we try to make a product ourselves...sometimes we don't always get it right and shouldn't expect excellent results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underflow riffles and vortex mat make a superior, fine sand, beach gold set up(gold cube), but it must be 1/8- material going down the mats or you risk losing the good stuff. On the beach the material is almost all 1/8-.

and also watch Ray Rusaw videos on youtube, he's the king of beach sand....and that's all I got to say about that
unhappysmiley.png

For other places, look into Gold Hog - Gold Prospecting Equipment - Sluice Mat mats....

The underflow system isn't about just doing beach sand.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The underflow system isn't about just doing beach sand.

Folks use the Gold Cube on lots of material other than just beach sands!

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Gold Cube is great, but the underflow sluice that is depicted in the very first part of this thread might work, but it might prove to be somewhat labor intensive. If you go to the grumpyprospector website, take note of the plastic view ports as shown on his youtube video.

The gold cube is one beast, underflow as shown in the beginning of the thread is another. Just keeping apples to apples.

OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my system of getting the gold.........Using the Gold Fever Buckets to classify down to 1/8"
and then using the underflow sluice to do the final cleanup. Use my metal detector to check the classified piles for larger nuggets.

This is an inexpensive set-up and an efficient method for gold recovery.

Last edited:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've used my cube with a 3/16" classifier at the river with great results but for a hike it's a bit bulky. I hope your set up works out well for you.
Keep us posted.

OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing new, I believe this same pea trap style riffle is use in the gold cube.

The gold cube has matting that you have to clean up......more labor intensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks use the Gold Cube on lots of material other than just beach sands!

You must have thought I didn't already know that............!
I'm very familiar with the Gold Cube.........not saying it's not a good product...it is.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Throw away my pan? Don't think so. Best thing I have found for very fine gold recovery is a fluid bed, especially for some of the stuff we have here in Arizona.

Some of this is getting to the point that your just wasting time trying to recover every last particle of gold. That will never happen.

The biggest question to ask here is it worth trying to use this to recover the finer gold or is it more worthwhile to use that time to run more material?

OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw away my pan? Don't think so. Best thing I have found for very fine gold recovery is a fluid bed, especially for some of the stuff we have here in Arizona.

Some of this is getting to the point that your just wasting time trying to recover every last particle of gold. That will never happen.

The biggest question to ask here is it worth trying to use this to recover the finer gold or is it more worthwhile to use that time to run more material?

It's amazing to me how people on here that have commented don't seem to understand the system we are talking about here.
A few people said this would be for processing sand.....no....not just for processing sand. If you do a little looking at the guys website...you will see that the underflow sluice can classify your materials from big rocks to the small ones. The prototype you see in the video just shows how the system works. It's basics. The system can be adapted to large scale production if needed. The vortex that is caused by the water flowing under the gate is the key to the simplicity of the system. This design allows the water to separate the gold from everything else....including the black sand. With this design there is no need to use a gold pan to separate gold from anything. There is no need for miners' moss to catch the gold either. It's all done in the 2 traps on the sluice. There's also an attachment to put on the end of the sluice to catch any micro flakes of gold that might make it's way past the 2 traps. This system is not just for processing the smallest gold....everybody certainly wants the bigger nuggets. But...truth is....there is a lot of the smaller gold present when digging the dirt. Would you just throw that all away and say....too much trouble....when all you have to do is run it thru this sluice and the job is done for you? I have nothing to do with this product as far as their sales. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I do know that anything that makes my job easier is worth trying. I expect to be in Arizona before the hot season is here again....and from there I'll be heading to Colorado in the spring. I only posted this because I thought that there might be a lot of other people that would be interested in saving themselves time and money when they are in the field.....trying to process gold in the most efficient manner as possible.

*Dig the dirt....classify the dirt....clean up of concentrates. No Panning....no cleaning of miners' moss.
When I was in the Army we used the KISS system. I will continue to use that system when mining for gold.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Begin selective quote from above -

If you do a little looking at the guys website...you will see that the underflow sluice can classify your materials from big rocks to the small ones. The prototype you see in the video just shows how the system works. It's basics. The system can be adapted to large scale production if needed.

Ending selective quote from above -

I would suggest that this device can not be set up as a classifier. Unless you install one before the material reaches the underflow section of the sluice. But acting as a classifier, probably if there is one person continually cleaning out the material jams. If however, the material is pre-classified, either mechanically or by nature, it physically or mechanically, cannot accommodate rocks of any large size. Large scale production must mean scaling the tablespoon quantities up to a garden trowel.

In any event, keep your sluices, pans, buckets, trommels and miners moss before investing in this quality piece of equipment... especially if your are in an arid area of the U.S.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold cube has matting that you have to clean up......more labor intensive.

Ok fare enough, the mating is there to work in conjunction with the pea trap rifle, it also has multiples of both traps and rifles. This is due to the fact that the pea trap does not catch everything and from what I've witnessed with the cube the majority of the gold ends up in the rifles in the first trays. This would leave one to believe that the pea trap works but it is not efficient enough to work alone. Variance in size and consistency and pressure of material should have an affect on the efficiency of the pea trap, I think this is why the cube works as well as it does as the many stages distribute the material and pressure equally as the material makes it s way through. I'm not discrediting the pea traps ability to catch gold, I just don't think it is the end all technology your making it out to be.

OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Begin selective quote from above -

If you do a little looking at the guys website...you will see that the underflow sluice can classify your materials from big rocks to the small ones. The prototype you see in the video just shows how the system works. It's basics. The system can be adapted to large scale production if needed.

Ending selective quote from above -

I would suggest that this device can not be set up as a classifier. Unless you install one before the material reaches the underflow section of the sluice. But acting as a classifier, probably if there is one person continually cleaning out the material jams. If however, the material is pre-classified, either mechanically or by nature, it physically or mechanically, cannot accommodate rocks of any large size. Large scale production must mean scaling the tablespoon quantities up to a garden trowel.

In any event, keep your sluices, pans, buckets, trommels and miners moss before investing in this quality piece of equipment... especially if your are in an arid area of the U.S.

You're correct ncclaymaker....
In one of the videos it shows the sluice with a classifier for the bigger material to be separated from the sluice so it doesn't go through the trap. This was showing the underflow sluice setup in a stream.
For my purposes...I would rather use the classifying screen buckets and then just run my smaller material thru the sluice.
Where I would be working would make this a better way to do it.
Setting up the sluice at a campsite to do the cleanup would be a better situation.
The sluice also has the screen attachment to go on the end to catch any flakes or micron gold that make it thru the traps.
I realize that people have their own way of doing things, and have been doing them that way for a long time. And that's ok too.
One product will never make everybody happy..............
I would still use a pan to test an area.......so everything has it's purpose.

OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok fare enough, the mating is there to work in conjunction with the pea trap rifle, it also has multiples of both traps and rifles. This is due to the fact that the pea trap does not catch everything and from what I've witnessed with the cube the majority of the gold ends up in the rifles in the first trays. This would leave one to believe that the pea trap works but it is not efficient enough to work alone. Variance in size and consistency and pressure of material should have an affect on the efficiency of the pea trap, I think this is why the cube works as well as it does as the many stages distribute the material and pressure equally as the material makes it s way through. I'm not discrediting the pea traps ability to catch gold, I just don't think it is the end all technology your making it out to be.

In the business of finding and processing gold...I'm sure there's yet to be the perfect end all product.
Maybe when you can send a drone out to the gold fields and have it locate, dig and classify the gold for you and bring it back home, then that might be
something. Give someone an idea and they may try it.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Years and years ago, a friend of mine had a backhoe, trommel, conveyor w/rubber belt, and an electrostatic charger. The trommel acted as a classifier to rid the material of large rocks and stones. The material then went up the vibrating conveyor, towards the end of the belt, the material received a very strong electrostatic charge. The silica lost or did not retain the charge and fell off of the end of the moving conveyor. The gold, copper and silver retained the electrostatic charge longer, and stuck to the belt longer than the silica, then it fell into a collection box. Nice, neat, no water required. Not a cheap setup, but effective. If I was going to mine the arid parts of the southwest, this would probably be my starter kit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread