xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend the silver bandit, myself and our buddy went on a tidal adventure where we all ended up with something to save! The hunt started off a little slow for me but after awhile I found a badly deteriorated pewter medal or medallion. I believe it's two busts facing right. The area had slim pickings so we moved on. There was an area that looked promising to me because it had a lot of brick all over the place. I quickly found a musket ball so we decided to focus on the area a bit. A minute later I found a tiny 14mm button that could military still kind of unsure on it but it looked old. Next my buddy found a superb eagle artillery button that was a convex one piece. I didn't know the exact story of that style but it looked early. Like two minutes later he finds a nice green draped bust like a foot from my hole! Oh dang I missed that one! I high hopes as we were on some kind of hotspot. A few minutes later I got promising signal and dug a nice little military eagle cuff convex button that appeared to be a match to my buddies eagle a! I was stoked! The real showstopper happened a minute later though! The bandit popped out a William and Mary halfpenny! This coin is 1600's all day! I believe they only made them in 1694! What a find! I was a little jealous of that one!!! I also eyeballed a nice clay marble, a beat up glass marble and a nice looking bronze boat spike prob from the 18th or 19th century. It was a day to remember! 7C5D56E8-51D3-4E2A-9F1F-22308117D84E.jpg 882C8745-1561-4AB1-A4B7-1285E4B398A9.jpg CB173AC3-9801-4022-A8F7-CA6DCD456414.jpg 3CDF61F1-18E2-4426-AB64-055846834295.jpg

Upvote 16

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a fun day and some interesting finds.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some really great, old finds xcopperstax! Were these items found down in the water or up on high ground? Love the military buttons and the W&M half cent is awesome. Its such a treat to hunt in a part of the country where you can actually find items from the 1600's and 1700's. Congrats to you and your fellow hunters!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. I like to check around other dig holes because the tendancy is for people to dig a hole, recover the target, fill the hole, then resume swinging a foot or two form the hole. The button back you are showing in the caliper jaws. Is the the back of the eagle button or the other button? Is the eagle one or two piece? I'm thinking it's a militia button.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. I like to check around other dig holes because the tendancy is for people to dig a hole, recover the target, fill the hole, then resume swinging a foot or two form the hole. The button back you are showing in the caliper jaws. Is the the back of the eagle button or the other button? Is the eagle one or two piece? I'm thinking it's a militia button.
Hi Steve! Yeah It's a common mistake for me to make and I'm starting to lose track of how many times it happens... I def need to be more thorough! The photo's are two different button fronts. The eagle has no markings on the back and it's a one piece button. If you count the shank as a piece it's a two piece button. The other one with the wreath has a blank back so I'd also call that a one piece button. Thanks for asking!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some really great, old finds xcopperstax! Were these items found down in the water or up on high ground? Love the military buttons and the W&M half cent is awesome. Its such a treat to hunt in a part of the country where you can actually find items from the 1600's and 1700's. Congrats to you and your fellow hunters!

Hey thanks for checking it out! I agree it's a treat but it's not easy to get into the 1700's and I am guessing I only have one find that is probably 1600's... and definitely no coins of that vintage yet!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh I forgot to say the location of these items was on higher ground but still definitely submerged by the tide at times. Sorry I don't have pictures of the coins. They were in pretty nice condition given the environment they were in.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt... well done.

I also like the bronze ship spike head.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve! Yeah It's a common mistake for me to make and I'm starting to lose track of how many times it happens... I def need to be more thorough! The photo's are two different button fronts. The eagle has no markings on the back and it's a one piece button. If you count the shank as a piece it's a two piece button. The other one with the wreath has a blank back so I'd also call that a one piece button. Thanks for asking!
Shank doesn't count as a piece lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread