hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotta say, not much of a diagnosis can be made from most pictures. Is that all the refer guy had?
Short intro. I have been in the commercial end of the refer industry for many years.
Your compressor is possibly not the problem based on the fact that its' running and because of the ice it's pumping and refrigerating to a point. That doesn't let the compressor off the hook entirely though.
I don't want you to loose confidence in your mechanic and I haven't looked at the machine so I'm at a disadvantage but here goes.
To diagnose a freeze the unit has to be thawed. That's because there are two different events. One is ice and one is frost. Two different causes and sometimes hard to know the difference. Low refrigerant can cause frost along with other problems and if allowed to run can appear like ice under the correct factors.
Ice is associated with not being able to absorb heat. Things like the fan not running when it should. Anything associated with the fan could cause it to stop running. If the fan noise is due to the (ice /frost) buildup then the fan might stop and make things worse.
From here your problem could be as simple (not always) as fixing a leak and topping off the charge or as bad as what your mechanic says.
I had a problematic refrigerator and put it on Craigs List. A new one might be more $$$ but you do get a warranty probably much longer than the mechanic's warranty, and you can pick one with problems the old one didn't have.
My Bro-in-law had a furnace guy give him a price on a repair that was more than I could buy a new furnace for. A lot of high prices have to do with price structures moving from parts & labor to flat rate pricing. A flat rate charge takes in to account all the problems other fixes have contributed to it's total.
If it were mine I would wonder if finding the leak and a squirt of refrigerant might be all that's wrong. Today many service companies take a replacement price on the call with them because there is more $$$ than in fixing and having to warranty the repair. The strategy is to make the repair unattractive compared to replacing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is mine as we speak.......been puttin it off for a while, i am sure my fan blades are in solid ice, just as it was the last time i went through this. Danged Samsung is terrible.

View attachment 1796348

There is a class action lawsuit about this problem.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...g-refrigerator-class-action-enters-mediation/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1520337151601316/

This is a link to sign up for the class action suit.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeKhPSyix9UasGLxgT2SpaQ5fnTzY2uN_4970LC_lz-fTlGhQ/viewform

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Samsung appliances are good IF you don't mind cameras & mikes IN them !

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a power ade drink out of the refrigerator this morning and it was warm. The display on the door said 38 degrees but I put a thermometer inside and after 10 minutes it read 51. So, I went to Lowe's and bought a new Whirlpool. I delivered for Sears back in the 70s and early 80s and never ran into appliances as heavy as these were. I have an appliance hand truck and it was all I could do to break the Whirlpool over on it . Then, when I rolled it down the trailer ramp a wheel stuck and I almost lost it. Finally, I was able to get the old one out and the new one in but, I won't do it again. Next time I will have it delivered. The only reason I picked it up today was because the earliest delivery date would have been the 20th of this month.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a power ade drink out of the refrigerator this morning and it was warm. The display on the door said 38 degrees but I put a thermometer inside and after 10 minutes it read 51. So, I went to Lowe's and bought a new Whirlpool. I delivered for Sears back in the 70s and early 80s and never ran into appliances as heavy as these were. I have an appliance hand truck and it was all I could do to break the Whirlpool over on it . Then, when I rolled it down the trailer ramp a wheel stuck and I almost lost it. Finally, I was able to get the old one out and the new one in but, I won't do it again. Next time I will have it delivered. The only reason I picked it up today was because the earliest delivery date would have been the 20th of this month.

Good for you! I took a friend out for lunch yesterday (lobster rolls!). And she told me she just bought a Whirlpool earlier this week. Said she liked it but it was noticeably louder in operation than the old one. Hopefully, you'll get a quiet one. My own whirlpool side by side is quiet and nearly 12 years old. My other whirlpool appliances have been rock solid as well.

When I was little, not everyone had refrigerators. I still remember the horse-drawn ice wagon delivering ice to folks with iceboxes. The ice man let kids have ice slivers and feeling badly for the horse, I would offer my sliver for the horse to lick. Sorry to go off topic...

Last edited:

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your Samsung problem is a simple $20 kit to resolve.

Any repair person telling you otherwise is ripping you off. Not that a repair company shouldn't make $150-200 for the time of 1-2 trips, part, shipping labor... but beyond that...

Source- I am in the industry, won't speak beyond that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread