🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Time period of this backmark?

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
With all the Scovill backmark variations, I'm having trouble placing this one in a specific time slot. I think it's post (Civil) War, but I would love to hear from the experts out there! IMG_0228.JPG

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's very important to note that your Scovill backmark has no circle-of-dots nor an indented ring-groove around the shank, nor around the outer edge of the back (outside the backmark's letters). The McGuinn-&-Bazelon book on button backmarks shows (in a photo) a "no rings" (nor circle of dots) backmark ALMOST identical to yours (except yours has a dot -- which is NOT a 'star" -- at the beginning and end of Waterbury). The book says that back dates from 1870 to 1890.

Now, all of that being said, your button's exact back (ringless, with a dot at the start and end of Waterbury) is shown on a World War One era US Army "Great Seal" button in the photo below.

Attachments

• backmark_Scovill-marks-overtime_1875-1901-IndianWars-and-black-finish-WW1-1923-GreatSeal-button.jpg
    backmark_Scovill-marks-overtime_1875-1901-IndianWars-and-black-finish-WW1-1923-GreatSeal-button.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Upvote 6

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It's very important to note that your Scovill backmark has no circle-of-dots nor an indented ring-groove around the shank, nor around the outer edge of the back (outside the backmark's letters). he McGuinn-&-Bazelon book on button backmarks shows (in a photo) a "no rings" (nor circle of dots) backmark almost identical to yours (except it has a dot at the beginning and end of Waterbury). The book says that back dates from 1870 to 1890.

Now, all of that being said, your button's exact back (ringless, with a dot at the start and end of Waterbury)is shown on a World War One era US Army "Great Seal" button in the photo below.

TCBG, aka walking, talking, encyclopedia of many things in for the ID!

Upvote 3

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jhamner wrote:
> Thank you very much! The various Scovill marks are always confusing to me, but you made it all make sense!

Because you said that, I absolutely MUST add a correction to the info given in the photo of 4 buttons with different time-period Scovill backmarks. The info below the second button is incorrect for the backmark shown -- which has a lower-case "o" in the abbreviation "Co." That backmark dates from 1870 to 1920 -- NOT from 1860 to 1880.

For "it all to make sense," please buy the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates." The latest edition (buff-colored cloth cover) sells for about $25. In addition to time-dating info for many hundreds of backmarks (listed in alphabetical order by button-maker or dealer name), it has many pages of excellent CLOSEUP PHOTOS showing various button-backmarks, including two pages of just the Scovill variations. Also, 3 pages of Horstmann backmarks -- plus, many other backmark photos.

The scan attached below shows one of the McGuinn-&-Bazelon backmark book's photo pages of various Scovill backmarks, with CORRECT time-dating.

Attachments

• backmarkbook_Scovill_1860-1920-backmarks_0001.jpg
    backmarkbook_Scovill_1860-1920-backmarks_0001.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 2
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Sorry for the delay-My daughter has our camera and I'm not sure how to post a pic with my phone. The front though, if this helps at all, is a standard Marine Corps eagle and fouled(?) anchor button. Update--just got the camera back!

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    984.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Sorry for the delay-My daughter has our camera and I'm not sure how to post a pic with my phone. The front though, if this helps at all, is a standard Marine Corps eagle and fouled(?) anchor button. Update--just got the camera back!
This query is SOLVED thanks to your kind replies! Thank you!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread