Tips for Finding Rings in Ocean City MD?

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I'm looking for some tips and tricks for fishing up rings in Ocean City Maryland. I've been hunting now for 10 years and I have yet to pull up that first gold ring. I've had some good success along the dune line and towel lines pulling up my best find ever last year as a bracelet on the towel line but that first gold ring still eludes me.

I graduated to winter beach hunting 3 years ago. I found my first gold of any kind that year during a winter hunt down at the water's edge. I've been down 4 more times in the winter since that hunt and come up short in the gold field. That said I know there are some real gold hounds lurking around the forums that hunt in this area as well so I was wondering if anyone was willing to help clue me in.

Do I need to get in the actual surf to increase my chances? I've got an Excal and a huge scoop so I can do that if people find more success that way. I normally hunt the low tide line without actually being in the water. I'm not sure how to really "sweep" the coil when it is in water. I'd be willing to buy a hand scoop and weight belt to snorkel the surf as well if I'm missing out by not being down there. I tend to go to the beach once a quarter so I can set up in either cold or warm weather.

I try to time my hunts to low tide though I haven't had much luck timing it to bigger storms or full moons. I'm planning on heading down if there are any larger storms that roll through this year though timing with work is tricky.

I appreciate anyone's insight or experience. I love to hunt and any day I come off the beach with clad is a good day but if there is anything I can change to help give me an edge for that first ring I would be willing to try. Thank you!

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
real gold hounds lurking around the forums that hunt in this area. Thank you!

Years ago OC MD was call the Gold fields of the Northern Territory, But it really has changed.

Best I can tell you On OC MD, I hunted it for about 7 years. (2008 -2014) Averaged about 25 gold rings a year, (except 2012, sick) 98% of the gold rings found were from July 14th to Sept 14..Reason ...warm water................ Rest of the year.......... unless you have a major Hurricane I really don't see it being good. I hunted Bill in Sept 2009 and got 6 or 7 gold rings. Things have changed since then, Replenishment every 3 years and People are not wearing the gold they use too. Last time I found gold there was 2018, went down for a few days and got 2 and that was Aug....and I've not been back since.

When I did hunt there it was at mid to lower bottom of the slope, OR I would hunt under the black sand vain.............from Division street up to 12th street. ...... Three of my friends hunt there year round, One is always deep in the water, the other two slope/wetsand. All do about the same on gold...6 to 7 gold rings a year... Had many Great Memories of the place, summer time the view can be worth finding nothing. Do the dates I told you and gold will come.

One side note, I do find a lot of treasure where I hunt but my "best find" ever was in OC..2 carat emerald cut. Plat ring..23/27 grand, Always that chance of finding something stunning.... Wish you Best of Luck

OC MD VIDEO

Last edited:

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I go down every year several times but usually as OBN said only during peak times. I hunt mainly on the slope and get in when conditions allow, which isn't very often. I can usually muster up a gold ring or two, but it's hard work. Probably 100 or more coins to each ring. Also, a lot of competition. I mainly hunt there to enjoy the scenery! Good luck!

OP
OP
Trokair

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply OBN. I did some forum scrapping and youtubing but didn't see those two videos. I'm planning at least another 3 trips out this year so I will try to concentrate on warmer times if a storm doesn't present an opportunity. I live a few hundred miles away in VA but come from and have family on the Shore so it is easy for me to stage out of there. Sad to see OC isn't what it once was, I ran into a few videos from the 2010 timeframe with multiple gold finds down here. There still has to be something out there, hopefully with your advice I make it my year.

Anyone else with advice is still appreciated in chiming in. The more information I can get the better. Thanks.

OP
OP
Trokair

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DJ, glad to see someone is hitting here still. I keep my eye out for other hunters and run into quite a few in the warm weather, much less in the cold. I usually leave with 20 to 30 finds, mostly clad and the odd item like fishing weights.

I tend to hit an area for an hour or so and if I get targets I will run 4 hours or more. I will relocate if it is a total blank. I keep a headlamp and stay out nights to catch the tide or continue a hot streak so I will put in the work. Thanks for the information!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never got to hunt OC yet - drove thru a few times - hope you dont crank the discrim.
youll miss gold that way
articles I wrote - don't know if any will help - some may inspire

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/[/FONT]

OP
OP
Trokair

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, thanks for the info. I will take a read through as soon as I can. For discrim I only discrim out ferrous targets, I dig everything that comes above that. I expect I'm in the right area digging tabs and nickels, plus all the aluminum trash that comes in at just above ferrous. I'm using my equinox 800 most of the time though if I get in the water I'm going to break out the Excal.

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a nice 14k engagement ring with a 1/2ct diamond last summer ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580119806.867796.jpg

OP
OP
Trokair

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rykroll, that is a great find! Hopefully on will be in my future. Was that down in the surf or along the towl line if you don't mind me askin.

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in OCMD right now! So far not much. I have been hunting here on my family vacation every year since ~2012. I used to be able to walk the beaches and pull up plenty of targets. These days, I can swing for 30 minutes without even a blip. As random finds dried up, I started hunting at the pier - this got me back up to the point where I could barely take a step without finding something. Once again, those days have passed - I did the entire pier area in about an hour with maybe 2 finds? It was bad. I've heard about beach replenishment - I'm assuming that's the culprit. I did find a nice silver pendant with a small diamand and two sapphires. I've got another week of hunting left. We'll see what else I can find.... :)

Kev

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread