Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been meaning to post this. Not a recent find though. I was actually bush hogging a field and have a spot where the animals roll in the dust. I passed it once on one cut and when I came back around saw this lying there. I thought I was being punked.
I have found numerous Brewertons and other points on this farm but did not expect this.
I really like the double fluting on one side and the flutes on the back. I wonder if it was a transitional type?
Thanks for looking.
TnMtns.

IMG_7936.jpg

IMG_7934.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 32

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben meaning to post this. Not a recent find though. I was actually bush hogging a field and have a spot where the animals roll in the dust. I passed it once on one cut and when I came back around saw this lying there. I thought I was being punked.
I have found numerous Brewertons and other points on this farm but did not expect this.
I really like the double fluting on one side and the flutes on the back. I wonder if it was a transitional type?
Thanks for looking.
TnMtns.

View attachment 2053617

View attachment 2053618
VERY NICE :) !!!!

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know much about transitional points in Tn as to me its a new concept. I have found beaver lakes and kinda thought they were transitional.
There are a lot smarter than me on here and hope to get some insight on the flutes or base reductions.
I appreciate all the help. Chime in please. Always here to learn and discuss.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dalton haven’t seen one posted in a long time, always like to see new examples.

To be honest I do not see them like I used to. So many good sites gone and covered up.
Thank you!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
What an awesome Dalton! Older the Better is right, it seems like I haven't seen a nice personal found Dalton in a long time.

That deep indented base, and the double flute remind me of some of the examples from the Sloan site in Arkansas. (Not the cache grave points, the working class stuff.)

Fluting was apparently pretty common on Dalton preforms, but then later work and basal thinning erased the flutes. They appear to have fluted early and often, but just didn't leave much trace on the final points.

This link to LithicCastingLabs shows some pieces that broke during manufacture. The original assumption is they were Clovis, but were solidly in a Dalton deposit at Olive Branch.
Dalton Preforms

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome Dalton! Older the Better is right, it seems like I haven't seen a nice personal found Dalton in a long time.

That deep indented base, and the double flute remind me of some of the examples from the Sloan site in Arkansas. (Not the cache grave points, the working class stuff.)

Fluting was apparently pretty common on Dalton preforms, but then later work and basal thinning erased the flutes. They appear to have fluted early and often, but just didn't leave much trace on the final points.

This link to LithicCastingLabs shows some pieces that broke during manufacture. The original assumption is they were Clovis, but were solidly in a Dalton deposit at Olive Branch.
Dalton Preforms
I could not figure out the material and it had me stumped. I had it looked at and was told do not even worry about the material as the point probably traveled. I occasionally see some coastal material up the Tn Valley up on to the Cumberland but not often . Not even sure if it is coastal.Digging rock shelters we find material that was local and just usable and not always the best. I have found Paleo with in a mile of where I was cutting hay and 100 yrds away brewertons up to present. It is across the river from a well known protected site but here I am on private property. I would love to deep plow this field.
Thank you for the link.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Been meaning to post this. Not a recent find though. I was actually bush hogging a field and have a spot where the animals roll in the dust. I passed it once on one cut and when I came back around saw this lying there. I thought I was being punked.
Thanks for looking.
TnMtns.

View attachment 2053617

View attachment 2053618
Nice Big Dalton! I believe I see where a fluting nipple was knocked out. And a section of beveling on one edge. Love the material.
I’m attaching a link to a great typology study on East TN Dalton that I came across. A bit old, but it has meticulous detail.

Attachments

• An Analysis of East Tennessee Dalton Projectile Points.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 21

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread