Great topic! Also remember TOXIC CATERPILLARS! I got into something nasty a while back that gave me a rash that spread all over my body kinda looked like poison ivy but burned and felt like a million ants were devouring me from the inside out. I remember seeing a white fluffy caterpillar while digging in the woods a few days before the rash showed up but I’m not certain that’s where it came from. Also I’ve learned how to identify poison ivy,sumac and oak when dormant because you can still get into some trouble digging into the roots of this plants.
The caterpillars prefer hickory trees, but they can also be found on oak, maple, ash and other shrub and trees.Unlike wasps or bees, caterpillars do not sting intentionally. However, the hairs, such as those in the hickory tussock moth caterpillar, are actually hollow tubes that contain poison. The venom is released on contact. Someone recommended removing the hairs with a lint roller or tape because brushing the hairs off will break them and spread the toxin over your skin.
Great post! Also, "trigger finger", I guess rather rare, but I got it on the thumb I use for the pinpoint button on my detector. I can't confirm it's because of that, as I use that thumb for everything from loading magazines to bush craft work a lot to as well as at my work, but the timing is rather interesting. I don't have any health issues that would cause it either, so, it's some repetative motion I was doing. Same thing with bottom of my foot with driving a stick, all checked out fine and started right after driving a stick truck.
Around this time last year, I went on 2 nights overnight bug out camping and got like 30 ticks! This with deep woods off and sleeping above ground! I survived, but man, it was insane! From what I was told, is that in Florida it's not too common of disease here, but more up North like N. Carolina and beyond etc.