To Buy or Not To Buy? Minelab Safari?

deerflyguy

Jun 27, 2013
Rome, NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter BFO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will most probably make a purchase of a Minelab Safari metal detector, from Kellyco, perhaps as soon as tonight. I am basing this decision on the recommendation of a sales expert from Kellyco, and the reputation of past performance of the Minelab Safari, and customer reviews found on various websites of the internet.

Tonight, I serfed the net to find out where the detector is being manufactured? I guess it was originally manufactured in Ireland, but now in Australia and Malasia (for a major USA company.

In short, I want to purchase a quality detector, in the $1,000 price range, made in the USA, if possible. The USA has lost too many manufacturing jobs, and I am curious as to why Minelab USA has sent the manufacturing jobs to Malaysia? It has to be the bottom line involving profit, and that is understandable, however not very patriotic.

I own a Garrett Master Hunter BFO, which was high tech when I bought it, and 100% "Made in the USA", at that time. I like the Garrett GTI-2500, but it has been around so long, I am concerned that it will soon be replaced by an even better design, and become obsolete soon after I buy it? I heard that Garrett has just discontinued the GTI-1500, so it is a possibility that the GTI-2500 might be next to go?

I know that there are several companies that profess to manufacture their detectors in the USA, but is that really true? Are they 100% "Made in the USA", or are they put together in the USA from parts made in other countries, or some other manufacturing ploy that puts profit ahead of homeland job security?

Just suppose, I decide to buy the Minelab Safari, anyway? The Minelab Safari has a reputation which was developed, and deserved, when it was being made in Ireland. What about now that the company is under different ownership, and no longer being made in Ireland, produced instead in a 3rd world country - Malaysia? Does anybody know if the product quality has suffered during this transition, or has it improved? I even heard that the world is being flooded with counterfeit metal detectors - the Minelab Safari being one of them! I've seen other quality brand named devices (ie. Leupold rifle scopes) that are Chinese knockoffs, so I believe the rumors. What is a guy supposed to do? I need help with this issue, and I need it right now! Can anyone supply any information that will make my decision any easier? ???

deerflyguy

"Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People In Large Numbers!"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet deerflyguy :icon_thumright:

I didn't do the research on where the Safari is actually made since imo it has no bearing on
anything except politics. (please do not bring Politics in, Thank you )
If it needs repair there are places in the U.s. for this so
sending it out of the country at higher costs is not an issue

If you fall in love with a woman, is the place she was born going to affect that love ?

if you decide on or against the Safari, you should decide on it's ability
to give you what you need.

Just saying, Not buying due to misguided principals,
may cause you to regret having those principals in the long run 8-)

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a safari in January and I absolutely love the machine, you wont regreat it. I'm pulling silver outta spots that I was it was huntes out.

I bought mine from millerMDZ detectors. One heck of a guy to deal with and excellent prices.

Last edited by a moderator:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you fall in love with a woman, is the place she was born going to affect that love ?
Horrible horrible analogy!

Just saying, Not buying due to misguided principals,
may cause you to regret having those principals in the long run 8-)

So you are dictating which principals are misguided too? C'mon!

OP - You also mentioned the Garrett GTI 2500. It's a really nice solid unit too. I witnessed one in action the last couple of days and I was pretty impressed. Have you considered the AT Pro as a possibility? It's a great machine. I promise it will keep pace with Safari no matter what the owners of Safaris say to the contrary. I've owned an E-trac in the past and MUCH prefer the ATP. Plus it will come in well under $1000.
And if "Made In The USA" stills matters to you...The Garretts are. Peolple can try and spin their justification with "some components are made in blah blah" , "it's global economy whaa whaa whaa!"
But if you want a US made machine with great customer service (Lets see that from ML), they're a option for your consideration.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dictating ? what craweld up yours & died ?

just giving a personal opinion on the topic this thread is about.
This is a forum :thumbsup:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, if you want the best, buy a Minelab. If "Made in the U.S.A." is important, buy a Whites. If beep-and-dig, no tone ID, and a lifetime warranty trips your trigger, look no further than Tesoro. If getting off cheap is important, and you don't care that you're getting the shortest warranty from any major manufacturer (an indication of their confidence in their equipment), consider a Garrett.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently own 2 excals, sov gt, an etrac and i use to own a safari as well as another excal and a custom waterproofed sov gt.. Love Minelabs...

Safari is a good detector, I only sold mine because I found a mint condition etrac for $900

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If "Made in USA" was the deciding factor, I'd get a White's....hands down. If you want the best, Minelab is right up there with anyone. It originally was an Australian company but at one time they had a U.S. plant.....in New York if I remember correctly. Even though I've heard various opinions on quality from their various countries of manufacture, I haven't seen any proof that one source is better than another. Like Treasure Hunter, I found a mint used E-trac for less than a Safari so I jumped over that model.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just shop around kellyco isn't always the best prices.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horrible horrible analogy!

So you are dictating which principals are misguided too? C'mon!

OP - You also mentioned the Garrett GTI 2500. It's a really nice solid unit too. I witnessed one in action the last couple of days and I was pretty impressed. Have you considered the AT Pro as a possibility? It's a great machine. I promise it will keep pace with Safari no matter what the owners of Safaris say to the contrary. I've owned an E-trac in the past and MUCH prefer the ATP. Plus it will come in well under $1000.
And if "Made In The USA" stills matters to you...The Garretts are. Peolple can try and spin their justification with "some components are made in blah blah" , "it's global economy whaa whaa whaa!"
But if you want a US made machine with great customer service (Lets see that from ML), they're a option for your consideration.

The only people that go from a minelab to the at pro is someone who couldnt learn the minelabs

Your gettin a much better detector In a minelab.

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have bought many detectors used on ebay, for good prices, never had a problem with any of them. I have owned garrett ace250, fisher f2, fisher f70, fisher f75,whites dfx, fisher gold bug2, minelab explorer se, and now minelab ctx3030. All find metal!! If you are looking for american made whites dfx, v3i, or fisher f70, f75. Isn't the safari made by minelab? I still love my fisher f75, but when it comes to depth and iron and coins in the hole, I prefer the ctx3030! Good luck and happy hunting!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mention minelab and at least one hater will show up, mostly the same ones. I've never dealt with customer service but have a thirteen year old explorer and 5 year old sov that still work like new. Minelabs build quality is outstanding as is performance. I love my explorer and couldn't care less where it was made .

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only people that go from a minelab to the at pro is someone who couldnt learn the minelabs

Your gettin a much better detector In a minelab.

Fact (supported by?) or opinion (based on)?
Or just thumpin' your chest in front of the ML audience? Much safer that way I suppose!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or just thumpin' your chest in front of the ML audience? Much safer that way I suppose!

Fella,

I have been using ML for 6 years, also owned whites, fisher and Tesoros. I have had fantastic performance from all my Minelabs, that is based on personal experience....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I havnt been hunting as long as treasure hunter but I used garrett before. Go look through some post I'm not affaird to bash them any where.

Minelab is the best detector I have used in my short hunting career. I just know guye that couldn't learn them and ran to a at pro and I know guys that had at pro, got bored and went to minelad.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few great detectors and no matter which brand or model you have, something can go wrong. Maybe the person putting the parts together didn't get the morning cup of coffee. What matters most to me is Great Customer Service.

Sent by SANDMAN

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mention minelab and at least one hater will show up, mostly the same ones. I've never dealt with customer service but have a thirteen year old explorer and 5 year old sov that still work like new. Minelabs build quality is outstanding as is performance. I love my explorer and couldn't care less where it was made .

:thumbsup:

like anything else, haters are allowed their opinion as long as it's from personal experience ,
and done in a family friendly manner.

mmjjbb

Greenie
Jun 1, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
White's Goldmaster, Prizm IV, Spectrum, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my safari...great price, and loads of FUN

I would buy it again!

super Detector