To ground balance and to not ground balance

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ALWAYS ground balance. ALWAYS!:occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. All soil, by its very nature has minerals in it. All soil. For instance, take sand, it contains silica, quartz that is, a mineral although a mild one but can contain metals and all kinds of other stuff.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. All soil, by its very nature has minerals in it. All soil. For instance, take sand, it contains silica, quartz that is, a mineral although a mild one but can contain metals and all kinds of other stuff.

I know this sounds crazy but I have a hard time finding something that doesn?t have trash in it maybe I?m getting impatient

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
With the Minelab Equinox, I just turn on and go without a GB. I'll do a noise cancel each hunt. If I am getting a lot of chatter, I'll try both the GB and noise cancel. So far I've never found a difference with a ground balance in my soil conditions here. i've experimented with and without a GB, one after the other, and didn't find a GB made any improvement to the zero factory setting. I also wonder if doing balances over non clean spots could actually add in errors. Jmpo

Oh, I do ground balances if I'm running any single frequency, but almost never in multi.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK I?m going to the exact same place I went to yesterday with no ground balance and I?m going to ground balance it

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the Minelab Equinox, I just turn on and go without a GB. I'll do a noise cancel each hunt. If I am getting a lot of chatter, I'll try both the GB and noise cancel. So far I've never found a difference with a ground balance in my soil conditions here. i've experimented with and without a GB, one after the other, and didn't find a GB made any improvement to the zero factory setting. I also wonder if doing balances over non clean spots could actually add in errors. Jmpo

Oh, I do ground balances if I'm running any single frequency, but almost never in multi.

My ground balance is going all the way up to 78 and 81 that just seems a little high. And you?re right it?s hard to find a good spot I?ll put on my iron Audio no sound 79 and I don?t know. What I do know it?s 97? out here and I?m sitting in my truck after an hour LOL

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
My ground balance is going all the way up to 78 and 81 that just seems a little high. And you?re right it?s hard to find a good spot I?ll put on my iron Audio no sound 79 and I don?t know. What I do know it?s 97? out here and I?m sitting in my truck after an hour LOL

That is a high GB reading. I'd likely adopt a GB routine with those numbers. Mine never got that high, the 50s or sixty sometimes, mostly the 20s. About all that you can do in finding clean spots to balance, is run with the horse show turned on and find the basic mildest tones during "small area" moves on the coil, and accept that spot and continue. Keep working on finding clean spots, just don't stress yourself out about a precise, clean spot to GB. Clean is a changing word ;-)

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this sounds crazy but I have a hard time finding something that doesn?t have trash in it maybe I?m getting impatient

Impatience in metal detecting is only plausible during organized hunts.
Like seeded club hunts.

Otherwise go slow and run all metal.
Grid off a small area and dig everything, even that crap sounding signals.
You don't KNOW what is under that shallow garbage!

You'll thank me in the end!
Your back and knees won't..lol

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Impatience in metal detecting is only plausible during organized hunts.
Like seeded club hunts.

Otherwise go slow and run all metal.
Grid off a small area and dig everything, even that crap sounding signals.
You don't KNOW what is under that shallow garbage!

You'll thank me in the end!
Your back and knees won't..lol

Hey buddy I appreciate you commenting I?m sort of what my wife calls the most outgoing loner she?s ever met I did join the club I paid the fee but never went I guess it might be a social anxiety I don?t know nothing about this I?ve been normal but that being said I got no quit on me. I did find out that leaving my 800 add zero ground balance work though the best for me. Any advice though I?d love to hear it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread