Tobacco related injuries

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Monday I woke up at 0400 with plans to go goose hunting. I got out of bed and realized I was having extreme difficulty breathing. Could not get air in but not like asthma. Go to the E.R. and come to find that one of my lungs had collapsed completely.

So the Doc punched a hole in my chest to put in a plastic check valve. It allows the air to escape the chest cavity so the lung can reinflate. Mine did not. So, the doctor hooked up a vacume to the hose coming out of my chest to force the unwanted air out so my lung can reinflate. It did not. Theyleft the vacume on a couple days to see if my leaking lung might seal up. Did not.

So, they punched a bigger hose into my chest (first they doused me with narcotics, then push a stake the diameter of dime between my ribs) then off to the O.R. . After surgery the doc explained-"Looks like you have been hanging out with the Marlboro Man!"

"Is it time for us to part ways? " i asked. He nodded then added that I am no longer a smoker trying to quit but a quitter that's still smoking- whateverthehell that means.

So I have not lit up since Sunday night. Not sure how long I can stop on my own but with God's help I got a good chance of stopping all together. And, God willing I will stop, maybe even before it kills me.

I don't want go through this again. I'm still in hospital so not smoking is not to difficult. Any quitters got any advice for me? I got plenty of tobacco at home. Heck I got a plot in the garden growing it. I want to be a quitter that does not smoke. I am open to any suggestions other than Chantix. Thanks.

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Monday I woke up at 0400 with plans to go goose hunting. I got out of bed and realized I was having extreme difficulty breathing. Could not get air in but not like asthma. Go to the E.R. and come to find that one of my lungs had collapsed completely.

So the Doc punched a hole in my chest to put in a plastic check valve. It allows the air to escape the chest cavity so the lung can reinflate. Mine did not. So, the doctor hooked up a vacume to the hose coming out of my chest to force the unwanted air out so my lung can reinflate. It did not. Theyleft the vacume on a couple days to see if my leaking lung might seal up. Did not.

So, they punched a bigger hose into my chest (first they doused me with narcotics, then push a stake the diameter of dime between my ribs) then off to the O.R. . After surgery the doc explained-"Looks like you have been hanging out with the Marlboro Man!"

"Is it time for us to part ways? " i asked. He nodded then added that I am no longer a smoker trying to quit but a quitter that's still smoking- whateverthehell that means.

So I have not lit up since Sunday night. Not sure how long I can stop on my own but with God's help I got a good chance of stopping all together. And, God willing I will stop, maybe even before it kills me.

I don't want go through this again. I'm still in hospital so not smoking is not to difficult. Any quitters got any advice for me? I got plenty of tobacco at home. Heck I got a plot in the garden growing it. I want to be a quitter that does not smoke. I am open to any suggestions other than Chantix. Thanks.

Have you asked him about vaping?

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t smoke but a guy that works for me quit by using nicotine toothpicks. Not sure how bad they are for you though. Good luck

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, transitioning to chewing tobacco then weaning off that might work well enough. Oral tobacco is ~1/3 as dangerous as cigarettes (no direct lung issues, decreased cancer risk) so that is an improvement. Part of the draw of smoking is the repetitive movement and stimulation to the mouth and hand which is why patches often don't quite fill the gap and why chewing gum is a common suggestion, but I've cut down my smoking significantly by taking a pinch of dip instead when the craving strikes, and while it doesn't give your hands anything to do it sure does occupy the attention of one's mouth.

That said, if you've been free from the Devil's weed since Sunday (and have abstained from other sources of nicotine) then you should be through the woods already as far as withdrawal symptoms go. From observing others it seems the first 3 days are the worst, but after a week your brain chemistry should be more stabilized and it won't be as difficult to abstain. I'd say you should clean up your house and property of any reminders. Give good stuff to smoker friends, and if you already are in the habit of growing/curing/smoking homegrown tobacco then ya might want to get rid of the plants too as they will be calling to you from the garden. Get rid of stray butts, ash cans/trays, and other "triggering" paraphernalia, then grab your bootstraps and ride this out for a few more days because you are probably through the worst of it already. Good luck and take care of yourself, hope you get well soon!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing, if you have a morning routine/ritual, like taking a cup of coffee and a smoke and sitting outside to greet the morning, you will want to "redecorate" and make the old smoking spot uninviting while creating a new space not already hardwired in your brain as the spot you enjoy a smoke in the morning. Not sure if that makes sense or is relevant, but quitting smoking longterm will require a reconfiguration of your routines/rituals and the spaces you occupy, otherwise they will serve as a great temptation and reminder.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man sorry you had to go through this! I smoke and have since I was around 15 but not really heavy until about 18, I'm 42 now.

I've tried welbutrin(spelling) , the tablets you chew on, the patch, etc... I hate the smell of it, I don't smoke in my vehicle or the house. Can't stand smelling it on other people or my clothes. I constantly change clothes because of it.

I didn't go through anything like you did. In my 20's I was coughing bloody stuff, I was coughing so hard at night I thought I was dying, went to the hospital, doctors, and was put on an inhaler, told to quit doing what I was doing. I also worked in a body shop at that time, we didn't wear masks, we sand blasted equipment and full dump trucks with sand, real sand not the slag they use now. We painted industrial primers and paints with no masks.fiberglass, etc....

I did quit smoking at that time, just put them down. also quit that job. Just put the cigs down. I felt great after about 6 months or so and decided I was going to buy a pack, "I'll just smoke one." That worked for about a week, just smoked one here or there. Went to a party, we were drinking, I chain smoked that night while drinking and haven't put them down since. It sucks, It's the worst thing I've ever picked up in my life!!!!

The only advice I have is? Don't pick it back up, "I'll just have one" doesn't work. not at all!! Just don't pick it up! My uncle just went through lung cancer, he swore he would never quit smoking. After going through what he went through, he said nothing will make him pick them up again.

The best thing that I've heard and I haven't given it any real effort. They say to switch up the routine. Which sounds impossible. But if I keep myself busy, hang out with people that don't smoke, etc...I notice I don't even think about it and can go all day without even thinking about it at times. Until....Someone lights up or I see it, then it hits and I have to have one too!!!

Recently, I've switched to pipe tobacco and roll my own. It doesn't seem to have the same pull on you. after a while I notice I'm not really wanting one as bad and don't smoke nearly as much as I use to. So...I'm hoping it will be easier to drop. No clue.

But if you've already set them down? It doesn't get much worse. What your feeling now is about as bad as it's going to get. Just don't fool yourself into "just one".My wife quit for 2 years and fell into it again and regrets it. Same with her, she was sneaking one of mine here and there hiding behind the house, I had no clue, and she knew I'd give her hell. After, a couple weeks I noticed my cigs were missing because by then she was back to a pack a day. She thought she was just going to have one here and there and it sucked her back in to 2 packs a day within a month or so.

People that haven't ever really smoked have no idea of how nasty this stuff is. My dad told me "All you have to do is.. every time you want a cig, just eat a piece of candy". I told him "The next time you want a piece of candy, smoke a cig and tell me if it's the same?":laughing7:

You made it this far! Don't pick it up! The mental pull doesn't get that much more than what you feel now, or made it through. Don't do it!

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why did you smoke? When?
(I need to quit again too.)

Many of those smokes were "reflex" ciggs. To be on the phone a while. To start the vehicle. To go with morning coffee. For a nightcap . After a meal. Ect. Not needed ,just habit.
How could a cigg pick you up ,but also be used to calm you down? Can't do both ,but we say they did...

You are over the physical habit ,dependency. You are not over the habit.
48 hours and you are good to go. So do not smoke. You no longer smoke.(!).

You likely need a substitute for a while. What to do with your hands? Your mouth. Taste ect. Squirming and twitching ain't the answer.
I used tiny peppermints one time. Should have gone with sugarless ,l.o.l.. Didn't need them ,but needed something.

To enjoy the advantage of not smoking , notice your energy coming back. Do something! Knock out those delayed projects.
Taste will improve to. As will smell. To the point you will be near a smoker and think , dang ;I smelled like that? !!!

You used to smoke. Now you do other things more. Always something to do. Do it.

Do not relapse. You don't have to. Don't light up with a friend or associate ,or stranger. You are in charge of you and you already broke the addictive chemical bond by going 48 hours. Don't lite up when you have a drink.
You used to smoke. Yes you are vulnerable to tobacco.
That does not mean you have to indulge.
Where has that gotten you?

Maybe look into deer habitat plants that are desired in your area.

I am becoming a Miscanthus giganteus fan.
If you live long enough ,in a few years you could be wheelin and dealin the stuff.
Dividing plants. Lifting rhizomes to sell individually. Planting in varied sized pots for two year olds ,maybe three years old?
It has decorative uses for non hunters too.

Keep scratchin in the dirt. Just find another crop is all.

Be in charge of you. You used to smoke. Say it!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't Considered myself a Quitter !

Habitrol Patches made me stop.

I stopped the 2nd step Early
and the 3rd Step Early.

Got Boring Putting Patches on Each day.

I still Miss Smoking :(

Sorry To hear of Your Complications. Dang Heredity Gets allot of People

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't Considered myself a Quitter !

Habitrol Patches made me stop.

I stopped the 2nd step Early
and the 3rd Step Early.

Got Boring Putting Patches on Each day.

I still Miss Smoking :(

Sorry To hear of Your Complications. Dang Heredity Gets allot of People

I don't know how you guys did it with the patches. I had horrible nightsweats, nightmares, and even smoked with the patch!:laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smoked with the Patch for The First Few days.
Not allot. 2 to 3 Half Cigs a day.
the Combination Worried Me.

Verses the 80 or so cigs I smoked a Day.

I Bought Pounds of Loose Tobacco & made my Own.

I Didn't want to Stop Smoking.

I used to be able to Walk 4 Mile Up the Mountain I live on, Smoking all the way.
My Detecting Days were Longer & Pain Free.
I would Start Detecting at dawn & stop at Dusk.

I weighed about 125 & Wore size 20 Jeans

I wear size 38's Now :(

Stopping Smoking may have been the Worst advice I ever Got from a Doctor.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smoked with the Patch for The First Few days.
Not allot. 2 to 3 Half Cigs a day.
the Combination Worried Me.

Verses the 80 or so cigs I smoked a Day.

I Bought Pounds of Loose Tobacco & made my Own.

I Didn't want to Stop Smoking.

I used to be able to Walk 4 Mile Up the Mountain I live on, Smoking all the way.
My Detecting Days were Longer & Pain Free.

I weighed about 125 & War size 20 Jeans

I wear size 38's Now :(

Stopping Smoking seems to Be he Worst advice I ever Got from a Doctor

Same here, I worked real active jobs. So it never really bothered me. I use to run on a treadmill at night, the neighbors would laugh because I get off the treadmill after running a few miles and go on my front porch and smoke.:laughing7: But lately...I'm not as active so it's catching up fast.

I had a Dr. tell me..If your real active, and you can get it down to 10 a day or less, it's not really all that harmful for you. Basically your body has time to work it out. But.....I could never do it. :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Tobacco Related Injuries are Hereditary.
It's not the Tobacco it's The Genes.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Tobacco Related Injuries are Hereditary.
It's not the Tobacco it's The Genes.

It may be, My Great grandfather lived until 97 and smoked and drank his whole life. But He was also from the farms and was so old they worked behind horse plows. So I often wonder if the hard work played a part in that.

It's horrible , wish I would have never started. I'm the worst person to give advice. I think I smoked 4 or 5 while in this thread.Garage computer....:laughing7: So, I just walk out the door.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I quit in 1988. Smoked for about 10 years. It got to where every time I lit one up I got a headache. So I quit. Now I have "cluster headaches". Worst pain known to medical science. Oxycodone don't even affect it. I have to have special medications to stop the pain. This disease usually affects smokers and the pain is incapacitating. It is that BAD. I will provide a link from wikipedia about it. Doctors call them "suicide headaches" because they all have a patient that killed themselves over it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, and he told me all about how vaping can cause brochiolitus oblterans which is sometime called popcorn lung and about ten times worse than the COPD that smoke causes. Vaping just ain't for me.

I wondered if they were going to find out that breathing vapor with chems in it was worse for you. Pneumonia was always a wonder of mine. breathing that vapor all day long.

I forget what I have from putting all of the junk in my lungs, Sand,fiberglass, rust, cigs, breathing chems, etc..... I threw the inhaler away years ago and haven't been to a Dr. in years. Acute,,,,,......Something or another.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a couple of people who kicked the habit with nicotine gum. Might be worth a shot.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about the lung collapse.
I was working as a respiratory inhalation therapist at a local hospital and I was a 1-1/2 pack a day smoker at that time. After treating the patients for various lung ailments, I was taking a break catching up on paperwork and had lit a cig which I set aside in the ashtray.
I soon became distracted with writing and I noticed that the cigarette burnt all the way down and was just an ash with a filter by the time I thought about it again.

That was the key to quitting forever for me. I realized my habit was only seconds long. Long enough for me to reach into my shirt pocket, grab a cig then light it up. I would then go about my business and not really dwell on me smoking it.
With that, I knew if I didn’t have them on me or around me, I would soon, seconds really, forget about them.
So every time I wanted one I knew I would soon forget about it and move on to my activities.
I never smoked again.
Best of Luck!

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped cold turkey from a pack a day about 15 years ago. Put on 20kg that I never really lost (up and down). My wife was pregnant so it was time. For a long time I still liked the smell of smoke. Things change though and now I cant stand the smell of smoke. I read that smoking was a sign that you dont want to take in life.

When Im out detecting in nature and breathing in that fresh mountain air I cant believe I ever took that filth into my lungs. My sister has been desperately trying to give up for 20 years. Patches, gum etc etc. Still on a pack a day.

Try and go through a day. Then another then another. It sounds lame but thats what I did. After about three weeks I stopped the craving completely.

Its not easy. Stay strong.

chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread