Today and Last Week: Colonial and 1800's Mixed Bag, WWII .50 cal

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today and three days last week after the cold spell. Neat copper alloy box that I not so smartly snapped the lid off of. Found a stirrup and three horse shoes (shoes are not pictured, I find many of them). Lots of buckles. Is the rectangular one possibly from a rifle sling? The oblong token is from one of the Expositions. The bird bands I will log into USF&WS to report and get my certificates. The lead fish net sinkers still have hemp rope fibers inside (I live near the ocean). A flattened copper bowl. An old Hubley flintlock cap gun. The .50 shell marked 1943 on the base is my third one, the other two are still live. Two amour-piercing .50 cal rounds above it. During WWII fighters would circle the Long Island coast looking for sub conning towers. They would live fire nearby so a few stray bullets around. We actually had a German sub land on our beaches and offload saboteurs. Another .75 ball and maybe a Henry.

Attachments

• tres348.jpg
    tres348.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 64
  • tres349.jpg
    tres349.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • tres345.jpg
    tres345.jpg
    811.2 KB · Views: 33
  • tres346.jpg
    tres346.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • tres347.jpg
    tres347.jpg
    852.4 KB · Views: 35
  • tres349.jpg
    tres349.jpg
    1,014 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 10

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today and three days last week after the cold spell. Neat copper alloy box that I not so smartly snapped the lid off of. Found a stirrup and three horse shoes (shoes are not pictured, I find many of them). Lots of buckles. Is the rectangular one possibly from a rifle sling? The oblong token is from one of the Expositions. The bird bands I will log into USF&WS to report and get my certificates. The lead fish net sinkers still have hemp rope fibers inside (I live near the ocean). A flattened copper bowl. An old Hubley flintlock cap gun. The .50 shell marked 1943 on the base is my third one, the other two are still live. Two amour-piercing .50 cal rounds above it. During WWII fighters would circle the Long Island coast looking for sub conning towers. They would live fire nearby so a few stray bullets around. We actually had a German sub land on our beaches and offload saboteurs. Another .75 ball and maybe a Henry.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds, congrats!
Would love to see that lock after dip in the electrolysis tank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions