Today I figured out what’s more valuable than a good machine or an old map.

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m new to this hobby, and just today I figured out that I’m blessed to have an early advantage.

I grew up farming the 120 acres I live on, as well as the 80 across the road, and the next 120 to the west, and the next……I know how the land lies. I know how the water flows as well as how it previously flowed. And I’m 62 years old, and learning a fabulous new hobby.

I learned from my Dad, now 86, who I have lunch with every day. I learned from my Grandpa who passed in 1996. Dad told me today where an old house used to be on the acreage I live on. He also shared where the house and barn across the road used to stand, and where there was a way station a mile to the west of me before we had roads. He shared where it was rumored to be wagon trails and camps set up as the prairie was settled, at least the best he could remember the stories told by the elders when he was young.

I just finished my first year which my Minelab 540, just found my first silver last weekend, and have many years of searching just within a few miles of my home. And I’m reminded that the most valuable research I could have done, the best investment that I made, was time I spent talking to Dad and sadly missed Grandpa to learn of the history where I live.

So I might suggest, if you veterans are out of ideas, swing out to some of those small rural towns, stop by the diner for a cup of coffee, or that hole in the wall bar or pub for a beer, and strike up a conversation. Like me, you might be surprised at what you learn.

(Oh, and thanks for this great forum! I’ll post and talk less than I read!) CB35B264-1712-470E-BD70-ED512B8598BF.jpeg

Upvote 19

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent suggestion.

Most of my permissions have come about in such a manner - conversing with older generations (now gone) and taking an interest in their memories.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you wonder how a silver Rupee from India ended up in a farm field in Iowa......nice find.

OP
OP
J

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you wonder how a silver Rupee from India ended up in a farm field in Iowa......nice find.

Indeed it does, and I do give credit to crashbandicoot for prodding me to think a little deeper about all of this. It was some of his inquiry on one of the sub forums here that gave me the inspiration to really interview Dad.

I know my Great Grandpa came from Norway, as did my Grandpa as a very young child, but why did they come here? How did they, and others get here? Did they stop along the way, set up camp, or go for a swim in one of the narrow creeks and rivers here?

How, indeed, did a 1944 Indian Rupee end up as as shallowly buried prize on a camp ground that was established in the early 1970’s?

This is fun stuff, fellas. I’ve been toying with what might be my pursuit in my soon to happen retirement. I’m a lifelong firearms enthusiast, I refurbish and repair old axes and hatchets, I passed tests and set up my ham radio shack, but this hobby…………..you got me!

OP
OP
J

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely an asset, but as a few threads recently on the forums have demonstrated, the most valuable asset in metal detecting is your health.

Oh, no question! Staying as fit as I can as I grow older is one of the reasons I want to pursue this. At least it keeps me moving!

And a knee surgery that went a little sideways a few years ago is a constant reminder to avoid digging deep holes. I don’t get that far down without laying flat on the ground.:help:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread