Today while working I found this anchor and would love to learn more about it. Any help would be appreciated. Location - New Brunswick Canada.

Kalebj1994

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2021
PXL_20211231_172529543.MP.jpg

Upvote 18

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen many cannons and ship parts around Fort Fisher area North Carolina that had a preservation TANK filled with salt water that was changed every so often till the fresh water got rid of most of the salt destruction. IT DOES take a very long time but its about the best you can do. I've seen some electrical probes put into the water at that place but I wasn't sure what that helps with.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis dissolves the encrustation on artifacts. Recently, I posted some info on this subject in another thread... maybe go copy it.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the thread.

https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/new-to-this.664829/page-2#post-6862391

Works for gold, silver, bronze, silver/nickel coins. Another process used by shipwreck hunters for artifacts is called electrolysis. Some good threads already on the subject in shipwreck forum. It is done with direct current to 2 electrodes (one is holding your encrusted find) in water with a lot of salt added. One electrode can be your find with copper wire bent to hold it. This tends to eventually start to dissolve copper wire. Don't attach a clip because it will disappear in a hurry. Of the most durable of metals, can work for the other electrode, stainless steel is on top of high end. Attach your copper wire to stainless steel object and lower down in salt solution. Depending on how encrusted your object is, salt solution could become depleted and need fresh solution added to replace it.

Any plug in AC/DC converter device will work for the direct current. The one I still have, came from Radio Shack years ago.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper wire in the salt solution to hold find, is solid strand heavy gage electrical wire (as used in new home construction).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread