Todays find, and ideas??

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! I did it! I went out MDing today, for the first time since mid December!! Went to a local city park, and hit the beach, where there was no snow below the high tida line. It felt SOOOO good to get out there again. I found a beat up 2004 penny, some junk, and a 2 piece metal item that was interesting enough for me to take some pics of and ask for your help. It is covered in rust, and I'm hoping that as it dries out over the next few days, the rust will peel of easily. Its about 6" long, with a top piece that look like a handle of sorts, with a long square tapered shaft that ends in a point. The other piece is like a sheath, and the long narrow pointed end slides into a slot in the top center of it, and the pieces fit together nicely. The entire outer part is covered in rust, but the long tapered shaft part is very clean, no rust, just grooves, and some black tarnish that mostly washed right off under some warm tap water. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

John

Attachments

• DSCN1103.JPG
    DSCN1103.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 335
OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some more pics. Thanks again guys and gals!

Attachments

• DSCN1108.JPG
    DSCN1108.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCN1106.JPG
    DSCN1106.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 323
Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
treasurekidd said:
Hi everyone! I did it! I went out MDing today, for the first time since mid December!! Went to a local city park, and hit the beach, where there was no snow below the high tida line. It felt SOOOO good to get out there again. I found a beat up 2004 penny, some junk, and a 2 piece metal item that was interesting enough for me to take some pics of and ask for your help. It is covered in rust, and I'm hoping that as it dries out over the next few days, the rust will peel of easily. Its about 6" long, with a top piece that look like a handle of sorts, with a long square tapered shaft that ends in a point. The other piece is like a sheath, and the long narrow pointed end slides into a slot in the top center of it, and the pieces fit together nicely. The entire outer part is covered in rust, but the long tapered shaft part is very clean, no rust, just grooves, and some black tarnish that mostly washed right off under some warm tap water. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

Looks like a letter opener to me. The grooves could be from ferrous metals mixed with other metals in the blade.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last 2 pics. My only idea was one of those dagger tops that go on a cane, but it looks too crudely made for that. Thanks again!

Attachments

• DSCN1102.JPG
    DSCN1102.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN1104.JPG
    DSCN1104.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 0
OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Middenmonster, a letter opener is a possibility, but it seems too heavy duty for that. The metal tapered shaft is square, not flat, and at it's thickest point, is around 1/4" thick. I'm hoping to CAREFULLY chip away that rust, and when I get it looking better, I'll post another pic. Thanks, and HH!

Upvote 0
S

SASQUASH

It looks to have pretty good age to it keep looking there. Is it by that fort & river.SASQUASH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the opinions guys! Anyone have any ideas on how to clean this, and get rid of the rust and corrosion without damaging the item itself?

Upvote 0
B

buttonfinder

HI. I AM NEW HERE. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST A LISTING ABOUT HOW TO POST A LISTING. I DONT SEE A LINK MARKED "ADD LISTING" OR " POST A LISTING" OR SOMETHING SIMILAR. THIS (REPLY) IS THE ONLY WAY THAT I KNOW TO ASK A QUESTION HERE. PLEASE HELP. THANKS!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Click "HOME" top Left in blue. Scroll down, Decide what Forum you wanna post in. Best Finds, What is It, Etc. Cilik on Hedding, Look at top right & see "New Topic" Click on

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread