Todays find, Antique Store

outdoorsup

May 9, 2004
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900, Garrett Ace 250
Today's find, Antique Store

Picked up a book this morning, "Reports of the Inspectors of Mines of the Anthracite Coal Regions of Pennsylvania, for the Year 1879" It was an old library reference book. Original book with all the pages and maps and drawings. I have been looking on the net for it, but have only found the rewritten versions. Great pictures and drawings of old mines and mining tools. Neet reports of mining accidents and such. One report is of a 10 year old who fell into a pit and struck a nail with his head. We have come a long ways since then. Happy Hunting.

Upvote 0

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Re: Today's find, Antique Store

outdoorsup said:
Picked up a book this morning, "Reports of the Inspectors of Mines of the Anthracite Coal Regions of Pennsylvania, for the Year 1879" It was an old library reference book. Original book with all the pages and maps and drawings. I have been looking on the net for it, but have only found the rewritten versions. Great pictures and drawings of old mines and mining tools. Neet reports of mining accidents and such. One report is of a 10 year old who fell into a pit and struck a nail with his head. We have come a long ways since then. Happy Hunting.
Neat find :icon_thumright: I worked underground with some of those oldtimers that went to work as young kids when their Dad got killed and someone in the family still had to work off the company store bill to keep a place to live and food on the table .

OP
OP
O

outdoorsup

May 9, 2004
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Detector(s) used

Deffinantly a different time in history. The report on the 10 year old getting killed, stated that poverty was not an issue and that the boy should have been at school and not working in the mine. Sad but I guess a way of life back then.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

outdoorsup said:
Deffinantly a different time in history. The report on the 10 year old getting killed, stated that poverty was not an issue and that the boy should have been at school and not working in the mine. Sad but I guess a way of life back then.
Still , to some degree , here in the Appalchians . I handloaded house coal in a pony mine
at the age of 12 . We got a nickle a ton off if we went in and helped load that 45 cent a ton coal we
needed to stay warm in the winter .

Marinehunter

Jan 31, 2012
New York/Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Pro-pointer, Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am from upstate NY and don't know much about the mining industry but from what I have read child labor was just crazy.

OP
OP
O

outdoorsup

May 9, 2004
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Detector(s) used

Yea most of those who survived the child labor days, later became Marines. Just kidding, thanks for your service.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread