🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Today's findings any ideas?

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG-20220318-WA0006.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20220318-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20220318-WA0008.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20220318-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220318-WA0007.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-20220318-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20220318-WA0011.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-20220318-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20220318-WA0012.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 41

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the first one.

It would originally have been enamelled (much of it has deteriorated), and is an “On War Service” badge worn by employees of the Armstrong Whitworth armaments company from their Elswick works at Newcastle during WWI.

War Badge.jpg
[Picture copyright of Imperial War Museum]

These badges were issued by government and private firms from December 1914 onwards to identify that the wearer was engaged in essential war work. The badges served to protect such workers from over-zealous recruiters for the armed forces during the war and undeserved criticism that they might be ‘draft-dodgers’ or conscientious objectors.

Upvote 6
OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It would originally have been enamelled (much of it has deteriorated), and is an “On War Service” badge worn by employees of the Armstrong Whitworth armaments company from their Elswick works at Newcastle during WWI.

View attachment 2016268

These badges were issued by government and private firms from December 1914 onwards to identify that the wearer was engaged in essential war work. The badges served to protect such workers from over-zealous recruiters for the armed forces during the war and undeserved criticism that they might be ‘draft-dodgers’ or conscientious objectors.
Thanks red coat, really happy with that, I always look forward to your responses

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second one looks to be an Australian Imperial Force “Rising Sun” badge. Australia didn’t have specific metal regimental badges during WWI and all units wore the rising sun badge (approved in 1904 and in use until redesigned in 1949) with unit insignia as separate badges.

I would assume it’s a cap badge, for which there are versions with a slide back and a lugged back with a pin through the lugs. Australian badges aren’t really my thing, but I believe the type of back, the arrangement/length of the sun’s rays, and the nature of the piercing through the badge (as well as the wording of course) all help determine whether they are WWI or WWII. Note that this one from WWI has longer rays and different piercing than yours, but I still think yours may be WWI too:

AIF.jpg

You need to do some googling for comparisons but at least you know what to look for now. Note also that these badges were made as sweetheart pins too.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second one looks to be an Australian Imperial Force “Rising Sun” badge. Australia didn’t have specific metal regimental badges during WWI and all units wore the rising sun badge (approved in 1904 and in use until redesigned in 1949) with unit insignia as separate badges.

I would assume it’s a cap badge, for which there are versions with a slide back and a lugged back with a pin through the lugs. Australian badges aren’t really by thing, but I believe the type of back, the arrangement/length of the sun’s rays, and the nature of the piercing through the badge (as well as the wording of course) all help determine whether they are WWI or WWI. Note that this one from WWI has longer rays and different piercing than yours, but I still think yours may be WWI too:

View attachment 2016274

You need to do some googling for comparisons but at least you know what to look for now. Note also that these badges were made as sweetheart pins too.
Sorry I just realised I didn't post a picture of the front but yes your right it's definitely that badge that you have posted, great stuff

Attachments

• IMG-20220318-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20220318-WA0009.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Third one is a livery button. Possibly a raven or rook. Lots of possibilities, and you may need to search other birds too:

Your best bet may be to see if any of the designs throw up surnames that match to prominent families in the Tyneside area.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Third one is a livery button. Possibly a raven or rook. Lots of possibilities, and you may need to search other birds too:

Your best bet may be to see if any of the designs throw up surnames that match to prominent families in the Tyneside area.
It's unbelievable how quick you know what things are, very impressive, I really appreciate it, I hope one day I have your knowledge

Upvote 2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the Livery Button is more Dove like. The other IDs, as per norm are correct.

Upvote 3

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2016268

NICE ID Red-Coat !!1 Kierann225 NICE FIND ALSO

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread