CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up this winter's side of beef on Saturday and we asked for five pound bags of suet/kidney fat for use in making tallow. It is very expensive to buy rendered tallow in stores, when you can find it.

We use it after every use of cast iron to keep the pans/pots seasoned, as a base for pan-seared steaks, as a substitute for Crisco in some baked goods.

DSC02113.jpeg

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up this winter's side of beef on Saturday and we asked for five pound bags of suet/kidney fat for use in making tallow. It is very expensive to buy rendered tallow in stores, when you can find it.

We use it after every use of cast iron to keep the pans/pots seasoned, as a base for pan-seared steaks, as a substitute for Crisco in some baked goods.

View attachment 2004391
Ok, it is now pemmican time.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what it is, but have never made it.
Not hard. I do not have my recipes with me for I am travelling, but really simple. Do a search and you will find several simple recipes. Native Americans made good use of it. If you cannot find a recipe yell back at me. I will be home in a few days.

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not hard. I do not have my recipes with me for I am travelling, but really simple. Do a search and you will find several simple recipes. Native Americans made good use of it. If you cannot find a recipe yell back at me. I will be home in a few days.
Thanks, will do. Back in the 70's I used to be a Rev War reenactor, and ran across pemmican as an Indian and frontier food in various books.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what it is, but have never made it.
I have not either. Eventually......

Given the choice , go with grass fed tallow.

Make your jerky (lean meat only ,no fat) overly dry. Pound it to powder traditionally or update the process by using food processor.
A third fat will be a start. Really just holding it together.

Fat varies. A buttery is best. Bone marrow might be better if a healthy animal is involved.

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not either. Eventually......

Given the choice , go with grass fed tallow.

Make your jerky (lean meat only ,no fat) overly dry. Pound it to powder traditionally or update the process by using food processor.
A third fat will be a start. Really just holding it together.

Fat varies. A buttery is best. Bone marrow might be better if a healthy animal is involved.
The tallow is made, I have some leftover porterhouse steaks from last year, and could dry them slow process in the oven. Think I'll get some dried cranberries one of these days and have a go at it. I have mortar & pestle but it's rather small - kitchen sized - but could use it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The tallow is made, I have some leftover porterhouse steaks from last year, and could dry them slow process in the oven. Think I'll get some dried cranberries one of these days and have a go at it. I have mortar & pestle but it's rather small - kitchen sized - but could use it.
i'd be all happy just to have rendered beef fat for frying in!

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'd be all happy just to have rendered beef fat for frying in!
Really very simple. Get a butcher to save you clean fat - kidney & innards areas - heat slowly on the stove. I had about 6 pounds of fat and it was on the stove all day. Cracklings and refuse rises to the top, skim that off and strain through cheesecloth. It should dry to a creamy white color. Good to go.

You can feed the cracklings to your dog but it will fart in most unpleasant ways.

Or, private message me your address and I'll send you a small jar.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Really very simple. Get a butcher to save you clean fat - kidney & innards areas - heat slowly on the stove. I had about 6 pounds of fat and it was on the stove all day. Cracklings and refuse rises to the top, skim that off and strain through cheesecloth. It should dry to a creamy white color. Good to go.

You can feed the cracklings to your dog but it will fart in most unpleasant ways.

Or, private message me your address and I'll send you a small jar.
I'll get inquiring of butchers.
And the market I shop at often. A gal there offered some ideas of what could be done for some pork I'd inquired of. I neglected to ask about beef. The stuff displayed now and then for suet looked nasty. I agree on kidney and inside back area.

Ground venison straight with no added fat this year. Made some summer sausage with it too. Too dry for my palate.
Shortly pre season would be a good time for rendering.

And the bulldog's farts having been tamed a bit from green to occasional ,no cracklins for him!
Maybe the other dogs could have a taste..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread