Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is 26 mm in diameter, a little heavy and I think it is made of bronze.? The back is flat and smooth.? I found it in a mole hill about 20 feet from a stream between two old mill ruins that date to the 1600s.? The area is the oldest part of Germany so it goes way back to bronze age, I was hunting in Idar-Oberstein, I believe this is the Gem capitol of the world.? There have been master grinders here for hundreds of years.? What could this be?? HH, Mike
47b4ce07b3127cce9a8361b0324e00000016108AYsWjhy5cta

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
try looking at shield boss entries at the museum. The boss was the center point of the shield and served as both a decoration and a deflector for blows from other weapons. Look for a ding on one side and that is probably how it was detached. I know I've seen similar items in the museum at Augsburg. Should be some in your local museum. exanimo, ss

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great find!
Haven't got a clue as to what it is, but it looks old...
Looks like another piece fpr the arcie's to figure out...
Good Luck...

Upvote 0

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
No idea for sure Mike. But the first thing that sprang to mind for me, was that it looks like interlocking elephant tusks in the center. I'm going to quit reading the "What is it" section of this forum because I'm not very good at waiting to know the answers! ;D Too much instant gratification on the educational networks I guess. Please let us know what you find out...Thx~CO2

Upvote 0

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
This is a little off subject, but is there a church in Idar-obstein that is built into the rock on the side of a hill? I think this is the town I used to travel through by train on my way to Grafenvoir (spelled wrong), while I was in the army in 1986-88. My aunt was also stationed there with here husband in the 1970's.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Wayne, that's correct, Idar-Oberstein has the church built into the mountain side and a castle on top of the mountain. I was working TDY in Baumholder but work in Grafenwoehr, have been here since 1986. Believe it or not, this is one of the best kept secrets in the Army, being permanent party here was great. But for you guys coming here to train, I feel your pain, LOL! HH, Mike

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions