Tomato Sauce

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived in Missouri I used to make all my own tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, and salsa. I planted over 150 tomato plants usually, made it then canned it in jars for the winter months, especially the salsa. I canned dozens of each one in quart jars. LOT OF WORK.
I struggled with plus 50 tomato plants last year and can’t imagine plus 150 plants.
So far my favorite salsa is Mrs.Renfro .I would love to learn how to make it also.
I have to work on finishing space downstairs for a freezer
Thanks again and take care

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I struggled with plus 50 tomato plants last year and can’t imagine plus 150 plants.
So far my favorite salsa is Mrs.Renfro .I would love to learn how to make it also.
I have to work on finishing space downstairs for a freezer
Thanks again and take care
I had a large walk-in cupboard in my basement in Missouri where I stored the foods I canned.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy:Splendid! Our tomatoes this season mostly consist of sun scald and blossom end rot.
Thanks for your reply..
I use egg shells and Tomato Tone it works great and marigold flowers around the borders help to keep the pest out.
Try to water the base of the plants when possible and spacing the plants help also
I hope it works
Take care
Bill

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply..
I use egg shells and Tomato Tone it works great and marigold flowers around the borders help to keep the pest out.
Try to water the base of the plants when possible and spacing the plants help also
I hope it works
Take care
Bill

Thanks! The yard is so deep in shade, we have to plant in containers. They tell you to fit way more tomatoes in each than you should. The weather's been beating us up a little, too.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you can this sauce, do you just pour it into jars until it seals?
Thanks for the reply..I don’t know how to use jars and was always concerned with spoilage..I guess I should learn someday but for now we cool it in the refrigerator then use freezer bags.
Once I finish a room downstairs I’ll get another freezer
Good luck

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! The yard is so deep in shade, we have to plant in containers. They tell you to fit way more tomatoes in each than you should. The weather's been beating us up a little, too.
Thanks again for the reply..perhaps ask the garden center what soil mix and tomato variety is best for containers
The tomato tone and egg shells will help also.I’ve never seen so many plus 90 F days and it also set our garden back
Take care
Ta

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bachelor days, Heinz spaghetti sauce from a can, cut slices of Polish sausage, crock pot all day. Some spaghetti noodles & good to go.
In the lean days our go to was ramen noodles Alfredo sauce from a jar half a can of parmesan.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply..I don’t know how to use jars and was always concerned with spoilage..I guess I should learn someday but for now we cool it in the refrigerator then use freezer bags.
Once I finish a room downstairs I’ll get another freezer
Good luck

We never canned tomatoes either. One year, we had so many extra tomatoes we just threw them whole into zip bags to freeze. Believe me, it was great taking them out in November to make sauce. And they were easier to sieve.

T L Kott

Sep 20, 2021
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Considering my options at this time...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today took a total of 160 tomatoes which were a combination of Roma and San Marzano variety from the garden..
Put them thru the mill and added spices.
Their on the stove now.
Thanks again for looking …
No Tomato kitchen is complete without a Victorio grinder. You are BLESSED to have such a nice garden.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Tomato kitchen is complete without a Victorio grinder. You are BLESSED to have such a nice garden.
Thank you T L Kott..we are continuing to have a good harvest but the extremely 90f plus days are setting things back.I never did to much gardening due to my work schedule so I’m still learning
Take care
We never canned tomatoes either. One year, we had so many extra tomatoes we just threw them whole into zip bags to freeze. Believe me, it was great taking them out in November to make sauce. And they were easier to sieve.
In the lean days our go to was ramen noodles Alfredo sauce from a jar half a can of parmesan.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So whens supper? I'm Starved just looking at that!
Riverbum Thank you..I wish you lived closer as I could bring some over.
So far the harvest is better than I expected and will try to do better next season.
Try to plant a few items and let me know how it works take care

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today took a total of 160 tomatoes which were a combination of Roma and San Marzano variety from the garden..
Put them thru the mill and added spices.
Their on the stove now.
Thanks again for looking …
Awesome-sauce Bill enjoy I grew some Italian Oregano this year turned out good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread