Tommy Thompson saga continues

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed.

While the State of Denial absolves themselves of any culpability. Convenient, isn't it?

Rest well in your condemnation, matey. I find it a poor companion, myself.

Fair skies and full sails to All..... :skullflag: :notworthy:

Boy, I would love to hear the chain of reasoning that makes "The State" the villain and Tommy Thompson the victim in all of this...

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, I would love to hear the chain of reasoning that makes "The State" the villain and Tommy Thompson the victim in all of this...

Who said Tommy was a victim? The only thing Tommy was a victim of was poor judgement.

Remember what Paul Harvey use to say..... "And here is the rest of the story"....

Tommy Thompson surrounded himself with a pack of thieves that rival almost any organization short of that is, "The Clinton Foundation!".... The actual "truth" of how the cash and capital flow got manipulated so the alleged primary or first position investors got by passed is with the Court itself and its appointed receivership - who prioritized the release of proceeds of the sale of assets... We are like Tuesday Morning Quarterbacks - without all the actual facts - pointing fingers and raving about who is the bad guy....

This treasure may never have been recovered if not for the monumental effort he was at the helm of putting together... Who wouldn't have been driven a little nutty - after recovering tons of gold to see it almost all but 500 re-struck gold coins go to ta select few of the jackals that latched on to the wagon he assembled was pulling...

To Tommy Thomson and almost ever other treasure hunters story - there is a dark side that often can emerge to consume all the positive energy that a hither too lost treasure creates... I guess Mr. Thomson feels safer in jail that in the world that has bitten him in the ass

You swim with sharks, you're gonna get bit. As I said in my first post....Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains. Tommy wasn't the only fish in that pot. As Capt. Dom pointed out in his post above....there is more to the story.

The " State of Denial " I was referring to are those who want to lay all the responsibility at his feet, when a large part of it belongs with the court and receivership. The feeding frenzy that has ensued would send anyone round the bend. Sharks don't care whose blood it is, they will eat their own if they smell it.

Yep, Tommy made a lot of bad decisions, but he also made one hell of an accomplishment. Too bad he will only be remembered for his mistakes and condemned by those who never have nor ever will accomplish a damn thing close to it.

:skullflag: wine_zpsekaln4m7.gif

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your passion and position but there are some serious problems with your narrative concerning Thompson's circumstances at the time of his arrest.

He was not busted at "a crack shack hotel with a handful of gold coins"

He was busted at a $200 at night Hilton with $437,000 in cash, 35 cell phones and 5 laptops.

Here is where he lived in Vero prior to his long sojourn at the "crack-shack" Hilton (he also rented a $1000 a month guest house at the Penwood at the same time...apparently for "storage") :

No defending him at all. He gave treasure hunting a black eye and made a perfect example of why a person should be wary of investing in treasure. I guess I should have just said that it was disgusting to watch it and it was a horrible fall from grace compounded by drugs. On the run burning what he stoled on drugs. Living day to day in hiding. Just the total opposite of how it should have been.

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Today...
By CoinWeek News Staff ….

As part of the long-running legal saga involving former treasure hunter Tommy Thompson, attorney Ira O. Kane, the court-appointed receiver representing Recovery Limited Partnership and Columbus Exploration LLC, has asked a state judge in Ohio to approve the sale of gold recovered from the SS Central America shipwreck. If approved, the gold may sell for as much as $30 million USD.

The motion was filed on October 24.
Initially valued as being worth as much as $47 million, the 16,000 items actually include gold dust and gold bullion in addition to the gold coins. Attorney Kane has an arrangement with a company called California Gold Marketing Group LLC to sell the recovered coins, which could potentially allow Tommy Thompson’s investors to see the first returns on their investments in the nearly 30-year-old drama. Quintin F. Lindsmith, an attorney for Ira Kane, said that any money from the sale will go to creditors first, as mandated under Ohio law. Any proceeds then remaining would go to the investors: Odyssey Marine Exploration and Dispatch Printing Company. The Dispatch Printing Company is the one-time owner of The Columbus Dispatch, a newspaper that has done much reporting on the Thompson case since it began.
The sale would be structured. Seventeen million would be paid to the receivership, with $15 going to Odyssey to settle all the company’s claims. The Dispatch Printing Company would receive an initial $1.75 million, and the receivership itself would get $250,000. California Gold Marketing Group would have a year to pay the remaining $13 million, out of which the Dispatch Printing Company would receive the final $5.75 million it is owed. All other proceeds would go to the receivership.
Mr. Kane has served as the receiver of Thompson’s companies since 2013, after Thompson failed to appear at a 2012 hearing and fled to Florida with his companion Alison Louise Antekeier. The two hid out in a Boca Raton hotel until they were arrested by U.S. Marshals on January 27, 2015. The 2012 hearing was the result of a lawsuit brought against him by his investors and some members of his crew to recover their share of the profits from the discovery of the SS Central Americashipwreck and the gold it famously carried on its ill-fated trip in 1857.
U.S. District Judge Algenon L. Marbley has held Thompson in jail on civil contempt charges since December of 2015. In April 2015, Thompson reached a plea deal with the court and plead guilty to criminal contempt stemming from his failure to appear in 2012. He incurred the civil charges by not revealing the location of 500 gold coins he is alleged to have recovered on his first dive in 1988 and thereby violating the terms of his deal. While Thompson’s lawyers have made several motions to free their client on various grounds (jurisdiction, Thompson’s health, etc.), it has been determined that Judge Marbley can indeed keep Thompson in jail for an indefinite period of time. Nevertheless, if Thompson’s lawyers were successful in getting his civil contempt charge dismissed, he would still have to serve a two-year sentence for criminal contempt.
Prosecutors suspect that Thompson hid the gold in a private trust in the country of Belize, but so far Thompson refuses to cooperate and give his investors the power to look into it.
Franklin County Common Pleas Judge Laurel Beatty-Blunt will hold a hearing on Kane’s motion for all interested parties at 9 am Eastern on November 30.
[h=3]Sources[/h]Sunken gold from shipwreck could be sold - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Up early today Hobbit, huh? :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditlihi and Hobbit, politics is not allowed in forums other than our politics forum, please do not violate TNet rules.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dead thread resurrection time...
Tommy and/or his girlfriend rented a house behind the Pennwood for 2 1/2 years.
The Cookout was held at the Pennwood twice during that time and I think Tom Gidus' cancer fundraiser as well.
It seems likely that he may have been in attendance.
Something to ponder.
Records from court tell of Thompson and Antekeier's life on the run - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

Latest on the story: Justice Insider: Court allows contempt appeal by treasure hunter Tommy G. Thompson - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I thought I saw him and his girlfriend in the food line.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I doubt Tommy would have been stupid enough to show his face among the select group of people in the whole world that would have recognized him. However, if someone wants to take the time, check the pics posted in the past for that period. BTW, the newspaper article doesn't permit me to view without subscribing...?

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I doubt Tommy would have been stupid enough to show his face among the select group of people in the whole world that would have recognized him. However, if someone wants to take the time, check the pics posted in the past for that period. BTW, the newspaper article doesn't permit me to view without subscribing...?

Try this one, mi amigo. Don't you know it would have been strange to know 20 friends were 100 yards away having food and rum without being able to say hello?

Justice Insider: Court allows contempt appeal by treasure hunter Tommy G. Thompson - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the event that sent him over the edge. If I were on the run & 100 close friends suddenly showed up partying next door, my paranoia would soar.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be could still retire in Belize a millionaire with no extradition

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey AZcoins why are you posting all these replys?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread