cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever get to hunt England, one thing you will find multiples of are buttons. I've been averaging about 15 a day in my past trips. The ones pictured are only the ones that are either complete, or, have an interesting design on the front. This batch is about a third of the total I found. The rest are left there in the trash. The more interesting ones are the large Royal Army Medical Corps and the New Zealand Force buttons. I was surprised to find 4 thimbles on my last week long trip. The one on the left is copper, there rest are silver.

Attachments

• buttons2019.jpg
    buttons2019.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 132
  • thimbles.jpg
    thimbles.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 21

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I found something similar a few years ago and actually never finished .
I must have dug well over 100 buttons of turn of the century late 1800s vintage.
The way I figure it a peddlers cart must have spilled and there was sewing supplies spilled on this cart path covering a 10' to 15' radius.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing ..I always love to learn about other countries..
My Grandmother was born there and I also-would love to bring a detector going back someday

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you go on an organized tour, if so who's?

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They needed lots of thimbles to sew on all those missing buttons. Gary
Funny:laughing7:
Thimbles are a common field find in the uk. Most are 19th C but some go back to the 14th C. Many reasons why:
They (kids as well) wore them under cotton gloves to stop the straw catching between the nails when collecting it by hand. This was not only painful but dangerous in that period.
Sew things up in the field.
Thrown out with the waste on the land.
Other unknown reasons...

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finding three silver thimbles is amazing, I've only found 3 silver thimbles in 12 years of detecting. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your UK finds with us.
Dave

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Funny:laughing7:
Thimbles are a common field find in the uk. Most are 19th C but some go back to the 14th C. Many reasons why:
They (kids as well) wore them under cotton gloves to stop the straw catching between the nails when collecting it by hand. This was not only painful but dangerous in that period.
Sew things up in the field.
Thrown out with the waste on the land.
Other unknown reasons...
This is something I've never heard before Cru, thanks for sharing this info. :thumbsup:
Dave

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you found someone's sewing kit!

ButtonUrLipsTN

Greenie
Dec 24, 2021
TN
If you ever get to hunt England, one thing you will find multiples of are buttons. I've been averaging about 15 a day in my past trips. The ones pictured are only the ones that are either complete, or, have an interesting design on the front. This batch is about a third of the total I found. The rest are left there in the trash. The more interesting ones are the large Royal Army Medical Corps and the New Zealand Force buttons. I was surprised to find 4 thimbles on my last week long trip. The one on the left is copper, there rest are silver.
Put a black light on those green buttons.. I'd like to see what happens if you don't mind?? :) High five to that find!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that’s a pile of buttons! Great dig and thanks for posting them!

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a black light on those green buttons.. I'd like to see what happens if you don't mind?? :) High five to that find!
I don't think I have a black light anymore......or any of the psychedelic posters that went with it! :laughing7: What do you hope to see doing that?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Silver thimbles aren't can easy ones to dig-to dig 3 on one hunt is amazing. :occasion14:
I got 2 silver ones stuck together, the inside one was just about worn out, as the outside one. :laughing7:

Amazing how many buttons are dug in a season, not sure if you were going over when the button comp. was going on in 2011/12. The Final total 18,890 buttons dug!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread