OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
And a fine man you are for doing this! May there be more like you! We wouldn,t have all this silly ass nonsense about guns floating around.

True, and when it comes to military surplus weapons they have a story to tell if you listen.

Example my 1944 DOT 44 K98k Mauser. It's a Waffen Werke Brunn, in Czechoslovakia, made rifle. My Dutch grandfather was slave labor it the factory. So I wonder if he touched a part of the rifle back then.

My 1863 Pattern 1853 Snider-Enfield, started in British service, then Indian (India) service, and ended up in Afghanistan service. So how many battles or wars did this rifle serve in.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typical range trip is with the following. The 3 ARs, AKM, SKS, K98k Mauser, M24/47 Mauser, M48 Mauser, No 4 Mk 1 Enfield, M91 Mosin Nagant, M91/30 Mosin Nagant, M44 Mosin Nagant, M1 Garand, Type 99 Arisaka, MAS 36, Gew 88, M93 Mauser, M93/16 Mauser.

I will typically spend all day at the range, and will let anyone shoot them. Had a Lady and her Boyfriend shoot a bunch of them. The more she shot, the more she smiled. Then when done she gave me a big ole hug and asked where to buy guns like that. I also like it when kids ask about the history of the guns, and want to shoot them. Had one watching and asking questions galore. Told him if your dad says it's OK you can shoot them all. Dad showed up and asked if I had indeed said that or if maybe the kid had pestered me. Told him yes I did, and no the kid didn't. Kid got a lot of pictures taken of him shooting, he was bruised but smiling.

And that there is why I share my collection with the public at the range......

So at least 19 rifles and maybe a few handguns. You're guaranteed to leave with a bruised shoulder!
I wish you could take that trip to the local high school and let the kiddies have some fun.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, and when it comes to military surplus weapons they have a story to tell if you listen.

Example my 1944 DOT 44 K98k Mauser. It's a Waffen Werke Brunn, in Czechoslovakia, made rifle. My Dutch grandfather was slave labor it the factory. So I wonder if he touched a part of the rifle back then.

My 1863 Pattern 1853 Snider-Enfield, started in British service, then Indian (India) service, and ended up in Afghanistan service. So how many battles or wars did this rifle serve in.
That,s why I like Military rifles too, what a story they could tell. Great story about your Grandfather and the K98k.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, fantastic collection. Thanks for sharing the photos and for your service Sarge.

It’s very thoughtful and kind of you to share your rifles with others. There is no better way to expose young and old to firearms than your safe and knowledgeable manner.

Photo was removed by request.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Mo looks real familiar.... nam '69....

Yeap old school......3 prong flash hider, Type D buttstock, triangular handguards, A1 pistol grip, A1 sights, fix carry handle......Plus no forward assist or shell deflector. Basically what I shot and carried from 86 until we converted to the A2s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Retired Sarge I think God is watching out for you . You are very lucky to have a neighbor allowing you to stay with him
He is an awesome neighbor and friend, couldn't have a better neighbor.

We are pretty close, our kids, all adults now, looked up to him as an adoptive grandfather.

We helped him clean up his yard after the hurricane, and did emergency repairs on his house, and supplied generator power to his house.

Our corner of the subdivision is pretty close. Heck we have keys for 4 of our neighbors houses for emergency purposes. That alone says a lot.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, fantastic collection. Thanks for sharing the photos and for your service Sarge.

It’s very thoughtful and kind of you to share your rifles with others. There is no better way to expose young and old to firearms than your safe and knowledgeable manner.

Here’s a photo of my boys with their own arms at a session a few years ago. Quite a contrast in choice of weapons. A real fun day.
Great picture, love it!

Heck after the repairs, if you ever find yourself down our way. Give me a heads up and I'll make the same offer.

Take a slew of shooting irons out and sling lead at evil targets.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would anyone need all those guns? Maybe to over compensate for something else?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why would anyone need all those guns? Maybe to over compensate for something else?

"Need" has nothing to do with it Claire; the man collects military firearms.

I know someone that collects salt and pepper shakers..got hundreds
of pairs of 'em..still there's only 2 that sit on the table. Does she "need" them all?

Your perceptions are based on your life experiences (or lack thereof); the Sarge's are based on his life experience, which I suspect are two entirely different worlds.

No disrespect intended, but who are you to question whether he
needs them, or not? Your "over compensate" comment falls under the
passive-aggressive banner, and not worthy of a response.

That's the beauty of living in America. Providing a person stays within
the boundaries of the laws, they have FREEDOM, meaning they can live
their lives in the manner of their own choosing, and it's nobody else's
damn business.

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Nope......I'm a student of history, I have a love of military history. I collect militaria. Some of these weapons date to the 1800s, and are relics of battles that people read in the history books.

Teach a kid history from a book, it's just words. Teach a kid history and let them hold the helmet of a WWII hero, like this one in my collection https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/named-m1-helmet.588767/#post-6247966 and a weapon like he carried all across Europe, like I posted in this post https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/ww2-bayonet.666290/

Now the history is not just words on a page, it now takes a physical manifestation for them, and it comes to life!

We all have our likes, dislikes, interests, collections, quirks, etc. Mine just happens to be militaria, helmets, weapons, uniforms, etc. To each their own, it takes all kinds of people to make the world go around.

My dad spent 26 years in the USAF, my FIL 20 years in the USAF, me 23 years in the USAF, my brother 20 years in the USAF, and my oldest son 10 years in the USMC. None stop military service for my family from Jun 1962 to Aug 2017. In all those years we served, one of the many things we protected was an individuals rights to believe, live, and do as they legally please.

You may not like guns, that is your right, but on the other hand I do and that is my right. You might think one is enough, while I feel one isn't enough...........

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here’s a photo of my boys with their own arms at a session a few years ago. Quite a contrast in choice of weapons. A real fun day.

Not knowing the caliber or capabilities of the rifle on the left, I'd take that M1 any day. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The WWII Czech Mausers are very interesting. One of the Mausers I have is a G24(t) DOU 42 all matching with the original sling and intact Eagle proofs. It was shipped back to the states in 1946.

Post war, mine ended up in the Balkans where it had a long, hard life. So it's well used, with a well worn finish, interesting stock repairs, mis-matched numbers, scrubbed markings.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread