Took a chance and SCORED!!!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a local Thrift during their 50% sale. I’d never gone because the crowds are usually too big for my test. Checked out the jewelry section and ended up with some good pieces that surprised me with the pockets all around. But this necklace was sitting on the bottom shelf for $7.99. It had no marks but I hoped it was gold filled because of the intricate detail. Took it my scrap guy and he tested it. 14K. I listed it on eBay for a week or two and had an offer for about $2900. The guy then started going back and forth about guarantees and since there was no mark (clearly mentioned in the listing), it made me nervous. I have experienced to big purchase returns in the last few months and didn’t want to take a chance. So I took it to my guy and he did a scratch test and then cut into it a bit and I sold it to him for $2300 right before gold started rising again. About 82% of spot. It was a win/win! Deals are still out there to be found!

Attachments

• C16516D4-9EEC-4B8D-82DD-C57154F4F19F.jpeg
    C16516D4-9EEC-4B8D-82DD-C57154F4F19F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 197
  • B7E6D9DC-EF4C-4A54-9AE9-A676EFB0D7CB.jpeg
    B7E6D9DC-EF4C-4A54-9AE9-A676EFB0D7CB.jpeg
    861.7 KB · Views: 197

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks good in the picture. That's what it's all about in the search of one person's trash. I did picked up a gold chain that was unmarked once. It had the clasp changed on it, but the chain looked good to me and I was right. It was nothing like what you scored. It was 5 grams if I recall and I scrapped it to pay towards some new tires, which ain't cheap these days.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say... that is one of the coolest necklaces i have personally ever seen.
The links are stellar in workmanship.
And just to give my opinion a little "weight"...
I have personally handled and seen countless amounts of rare and unusual chains... starting from my youth with this one in my avatar / profile / album picture... which started it all for me.
<---- look

WITH THAT said... this / your chains value is 2+ times that of scrap / melt... and perhaps even more if it can attributed to a known maker... which it very likely could have.

PS... Don't hate the messenger... i merely am pointing out something you should consider and to educate those who read this and are interested... for things found can be waaaay more valuable than scrap crap.

PSS... Next time you find something like this you might want to seek an opinion other than a scrap gold buyer who probably will profit quite well from this buy IF he has any sense (and if he did he might have ripped ya)... so posting here would be my suggestion.

PSSS... might want to ask for some more money as well.... OR the chain back. heh

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread