Took a Deus 2 out today for a couple hours

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In our park in the 1760's and 1770's Two groups of soldiers came through this area freeing the white captives from the Indians There was like 1000 to 2000 troops in each venture.They campen in the area our park is. SO i decided to take my detector out and see what i could do. The camp area is right next to Big Sandy creek. So i first hunting the high spots nothing but trash. Went like 300 feet to 50 feet from the creek I found a memorial penny everything else was trash like aluminum can slaw down 0 to 10 inches deep. The town had to move all kinds of dirt around there. I took some pictures of the park with my drone if ya all want i will post some. If you can tell i am a bit disappointed :(

Upvote 9

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In our park in the 1760's and 1770's Two groups of soldiers came through this area freeing the white captives from the Indians There was like 1000 to 2000 troops in each venture.They campen in the area our park is. SO i decided to take my detector out and see what i could do. The camp area is right next to Big Sandy creek. So i first hunting the high spots nothing but trash. Went like 300 feet to 50 feet from the creek I found a memorial penny everything else was trash like aluminum can slaw down 0 to 10 inches deep. The town had to move all kinds of dirt around there. I took some pictures of the park with my drone if ya all want i will post some. If you can tell i am a bit disappointed :(
Can you try getting in the creek.next to where the camp was? .hope you will be able to recover some relics
Take care

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you try getting in the creek.next to where the camp was? .hope you will be able to recover some relics
Take care
Thats a great idea I will give it a go in the spring . Here are some pictures I took today How big of an area do you think they would need to camp ?

DJI_0186.JPG
DJI_0191.JPG
DJI_0198.JPG

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great idea I will give it a go in the spring . Here are some pictures I took today How big of an area do you think they would need to camp ?

View attachment 2050358 View attachment 2050359 View attachment 2050360
Gare.Thank You
I got a nice pair of insulated chest waders that I use now going out in the water .
I would try hunting all the shallows along the creek and use a long handle scoop for your rewards and balance..
Perhaps in the local library they might have maps or pictures where the activity was
Great Post and Best of Luck my friend

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare.Thank You
I got a nice pair of insulated chest waders that I use now going out in the water .
I would try hunting all the shallows along the creek and use a long handle scoop for your rewards and balance..
Perhaps in the local library they might have maps or pictures where the activity was
where are you located maybe your close enough to join me

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Never hurts to look!!! The creek is a Great idea as Billb mentioned! Good Luck!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get into the water, try it - although it will also be full of modern trash to clear.
If not, then just grid the whole area on a deep program. It will come good eventually.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonel Bouquet came through my area around 1764 . With him he had about 1500 troops and soldiers. IK understand he also had cattle to feed his troops . Back in those days it had to be amazing what they did. Bouquets purpose was to free the white slaves the indians held captive.
Now how big of an area would they need to camp. Anyone have a good way of locating camp sites ? Thanks in advance :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gare.Thank You
Good idea Bill
I have a pair that I use to use often exploring the shallows.
The one of the most important feature is a drawstring/cord at top of the waders to snug up tight.
In event of slipping into deeper water a person doesn't want the waders to fill, and then the lower leg area becomes a ballon-holds the upper portion of the body under the water.
A guy detecting years ago had it happen to him-and drowned.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great point pepper thanks :) As one gets a lot older one has a tendency to take less risks :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Colonel Bouquet came through my area around 1764 . With him he had about 1500 troops and soldiers. IK understand he also had cattle to feed his troops . Back in those days it had to be amazing what they did. Bouquets purpose was to free the white slaves the indians held captive.
Now how big of an area would they need to camp. Anyone have a good way of locating camp sites ? Thanks in advance :)
Gare get online and see if there are any historical mapping for that area.
Even early topographic, photo, newspaper articles regarding the park.

The problem is that it's as flat as a dime, the park officials say flat is good, detector folks say leave as is please.

Look at trees-large/med/small, the tree base should not look like a utility pole stuck in the ground.
The base should have a raised area sloping a tad bit away from the tree.
Utility pole look-fill
Mound look-no fill
Now take into consideration these machines have been around for 50/60 yrs.
Everyone has had the same idea-lets go to that X to find a relic from when the troops went through.

Now maybe go and sit on the bench, take a
thermos of coffee, open that sandwich bag and relax, and have a good scan of where you wouldn't go.
Too hard, overgrown, too steep, the treed areas are the place to be, overgrown areas to have a peek.

Generally folks tend to go for the easy, and leave the hard.

There's a 400 acre park in Toronto-mid 80's the word was out place had been done/nothing left.(Bad rumour)
In 2008 I still dug 100+ silvers, numerous relics/coppers/military-hunter buttons.

Just have to go where no man has gone before.
Also one has to remove the trash-to find the keepers.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pepper thank you for your interest and reply.
1st I do not think trees in my area live to 200 to 250 years old. I had thought of this but I think there life span is far shorter.
2nd when i was detecting a raised section I was finding aluminum cans lets say up to 10 inches deep They had probably dumped a lot of fill in that certain area .I have other camp sites in my area i am going to check out but thought i would get in a little practice here.
Do you think they drank water from the creek or possibly looked for springs ?

Again Thank you for your interest

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pepper thank you for your interest and reply.
1st I do not think trees in my area live to 200 to 250 years old. I had thought of this but I think there life span is far shorter.
2nd when i was detecting a raised section I was finding aluminum cans lets say up to 10 inches deep They had probably dumped a lot of fill in that certain area .I have other camp sites in my area i am going to check out but thought i would get in a little practice here.
Do you think they drank water from the creek or possibly looked for springs ?

Again Thank you for your interest
Not saying the trees have to be that old-even trees that are 50+ yrs old tell the story if fill has been dumped.

Now does that creek flood out every few years, depositing mud onto the terrain?

Type of soils also help explain the depth of finds.
I've dug a LC at 14" in one spot-a spot on the other side of the park I recovered one under the leaf litter. :dontknow:

Dug 1858 silvers in the ravines that had big trees-yet in 1850's it was a sledding hill in the winter.

Horses need water, troops need water, creek provided water for both.
What was flowing back then was a tad cleaner one would assume.

Then again if the canslaw is at 10"-and it's just a fact that the area has been messed with, and there treasures are hidden in the trash.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't answer how big, but you should at least find melted bits of campfire lead, or left over Lead pieces from repairs & bullet moulds etc...

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tip Crusader but there is so much back fill with trash all over the area. I might better find a site that is not a city park

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you think in the 1700's they drank creek water ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread