Torn between x-terra 705 & safari

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was totally set on buying the X-Terra 705 until I called a dealer & he tryed to talk me into a Safari.He did not pressure me but told me the advantage of the Safari over the 705.What am I going to md for? Well, here in Wisc. I'll be detecting for relics at old homesteads,copper indian artifacts (I surfice hunt stone artifacts),I'll be hunting in wooded areas,some coin hunting on private land & parks. If I hunt in wooded areas would'nt the Safari's larger open coil be a pain to sweep? I realize with the 705 I would need to buy other coils to take advantage of the 3 different frequencies. I do love the fact that the Safari has multiable frequency technology by using just 1 coil. This may sound stupid but my hang up with the Safari is it's large 11" open coil for areas that are overgrown. I feel the 705 would meet my needs but the dealer was right when he said that in the long run I'll be paying more with the 705 because of all the differant coils I'll be buying.Also I am new to md-ing & would'nt the 705 be an easyer machine to learn. Thanks for any input....Wisc.

OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well folks I just did a little research on coil options for the Safari & I do see there are choises out there so I am now closer to buying it.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the problem with what you've been told, is that you aren't going to buy a bunch of coils for an Xterra. You would more likely get one or two with the original purchase (Minelab now offers a 705 2-coil package), and then add one or two more that you might decide that you want. Considering that there are 12 coils available, ending up with four over time isn't a huge investment. I'm an avid 705 user and I only have 6 different coils.

That said, I also have an Explorer SE, and I have four coils for it, so regardless of which machine you buy, odds are you'll buy additional coils. So the coil cost argument is really pretty weak.

To me, the Explorer is a better coin harvester in certain situations, and the Xterra is a better field and homestead hunter that can go hunt coins with the big dogs(or even hit gold fields if you're close to them). And the Xterra is only a little over half the weight of the Explorer, meaning that if weight is an issue, an FBS machine might not be something that you'd want to swing all day and the 705 would be easier.

Each has it's advantages in various conditions, which is probably why the new CTX Minelab designed is a blending of the two technologies.

OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longhair...you make good points & I still like the 705 for it's light weight,ease of use for beginner's & also it's use for prospecting. With the standard coil (9" 7.5kHz) I'm also looking at the 3kHz 9'' concentric & possably a 18.75 kHz but not sure which one. If you were going to use your 705 for hunting ,lets say,copper indian artifacts along/in streams,in wooded areas (adjacent to plowed artifact fields),copper artifacts that could be 10"-15" down, what coil would you suggest as far as frequency goes? I know there are multiable answers to the question but is one more proficient then the others? What is the best coil for copper in general?
I looked at the 2 coil package but it comes with a 10x5 18.75kHz coil along with the standard coil. I'd rather have the package include the 3kHz 9" concentric or 18.75kHz 6" dd coil. Looks like you need to buy the basic package & then add the other coil of your choise.

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3kHz is going to hit high conductors like brass, copper, and silver hard, but will not as accurately ID low conductors like gold, lead, and pewter. In areas reasonably free of the usual park trash, the 9" or 15" LF coils would be my choice. Both are waterproof, so it you decide to hunt a stream either would be up to it.
And depth really isn't determined by frequency that much. Target response is what changes the most. Low freq's slam high conductors, and high freq's hammer low conductors. The MF coils are a nice general purpose frequency that is actually the most accurate accross the detection range.

Call around. I know that Bart had a deal that he was running for a two coil package that included a Coiltek 15". Good dealers that want your business will work with you to get you set up the way that you want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3kHz is going to hit high conductors like brass, copper, and silver hard, but will not as accurately ID low conductors like gold, lead, and pewter. In areas reasonably free of the usual park trash, the 9" or 15" LF coils would be my choice. Both are waterproof, so it you decide to hunt a stream either would be up to it.
And depth really isn't determined by frequency that much. Target response is what changes the most. Low freq's slam high conductors, and high freq's hammer low conductors. The MF coils are a nice general purpose frequency that is actually the most accurate accross the detection range.

Call around. I know that Bart had a deal that he was running for a two coil package that included a Coiltek 15". Good dealers that want your business will work with you to get you set up the way that you want.

Thanks again....I'll be calling around including Bart. Also I'll be going with the 705.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great machine. Probably the most under-rated out there.
Have you downloaded Randy Horton's free e-book yet?

OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not yet but I signed up on Minelabs site & read the article on choosing the right coil for the right job.. Also emailed Bart about a deal on the 705/3Khz coil/pinpointer & headphones. Thanks for the heads up. Will be doing alot of research on Minelab's site on the 705.

Longhair....is manual ground balancing an important feature to have? It's just something I read in a post when selecting a md. As you know the 705 has it.

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah! Sometimes with the GB Tracking on it can "absorb" a faint signal, so being able to go manual even if only when a suspected target is initially located is a good option to have. One might wonder, "Why even bother with tracking if it does that?"
Well, the answer is first that it doesn't do it often...mostly at the beach where any signal is going to get dug, especially faint deep ones that are low enough conductors to possibly be GB'd out. Another reason that I use it, is that at some sites I hunt the GB can change 10+ points in 30yds, and I don't even have to think about it. And yet another reason is that I often run my GB offset about 3 points, and GB Tracking Offset is maintaned when the tracking is on.

The e-book is in the "MEMBERS" area, is about 14Mb, and is well worth whatever you have to go through to get it.

And be aware (just in case you didn't already know) that Coiltek makes two 3kHz Xterra coils, and only the 15" DD All Terrain is waterproof. The 6" 3kHz DD "DIGGER" is only water resistant.

OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah! Sometimes with the GB Tracking on it can "absorb" a faint signal, so being able to go manual even if only when a suspected target is initially located is a good option to have. One might wonder, "Why even bother with tracking if it does that?"
Well, the answer is first that it doesn't do it often...mostly at the beach where any signal is going to get dug, especially faint deep ones that are low enough conductors to possibly be GB'd out. Another reason that I use it, is that at some sites I hunt the GB can change 10+ points in 30yds, and I don't even have to think about it. And yet another reason is that I often run my GB offset about 3 points, and GB Tracking Offset is maintaned when the tracking

The e-book is in the "MEMBERS" area, is about 14Mb, and is well worth whatever you have to go through to get it.

And be aware (just in case you didn't already know) that Coiltek makes two 3kHz Xterra coils, and only the 15" DD All Terrain is waterproof. The 6" 3kHz DD "DIGGER" is only water resistent.

Thanks....I already downloaded the 705 e-book. I looked at the 15" Coiltek but man is that expensive.....I'll stick to the Minelab 3kHz & I also looked at the Digger,to bad it"s only water resistent.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the 15" Coiltek but man is that expensive.....I'll stick to the Minelab 3kHz & I also looked at the Digger,to bad it"s only water resistent.
Don't just look at advertised prices!
Talk to Bart (by phone...it's way better than e-mails). The two coil deal that he had was unbelievable!

That said, there's nothing wrong with the Minelab 9". I have one and still use it even though I have the 6" & 15" Coiltek's.

OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't just look at advertised prices!
Talk to Bart (by phone...it's way better than e-mails). The two coil deal that he had was unbelievable!

That said, there's nothing wrong with the Minelab 9". I have one and still use it even though I have the 6" & 15" Coiltek's.

Just talked to Bart about a package that includes the 705, 3kHz coil,Garrett pinpointer & headphones. Very good price so I may end up buying in the coming week. Still unsure about headphones.....what do you use with your 705?

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went wireless with both of my Minelabs.

Just don't go cheap. You can get good ones w/o breaking the bank.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uhmm, whose Bart?? I'm looking into a 705

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, Bigboys. I tried 3 times to talk to someone down there but no luck, just voice mail. He's just down the road from me in Oklahoma. No luck reaching anyone. I don't play phone tag so rarely leave messages. Never know when I'm gonna be here to answer - - and round and round it goes. He must be real busy.

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
foiler, are you sure you had the right dealer? Bart is usually very quick at responding on the phone or emails. Certainly one of the best to deal with.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, it was Big Boys Hobbies. I click on the banner ad because people where talking that place up and saw he was not that far from me. Called 3 times on 2 different days during business hours but got the recording. Wanted to talk about a Minelab 705. Thinking I might go with that instead of a Whites DFX. Still havent made up my mind. Never used a digital machine before so, might look into a used one for starters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread