Tracker IV beeps continously

chris_m

Jun 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

I’m brand new to metal detecting and this forum. I recently got a lightly used Tracker 4 for my son (and myself) to start out.

We’ve used it successfully to dig up tons of nails from the garden, but now it just started beeping and going crazy on us, as if by interference. But nothing has changed. I changed the batteries but same thing. My son is suspecting he may have damaged it as he dipped the coil in the sea but it’s supposed to be waterproof right?

If I disconnect the coil it stops beeping. So it has something to do with the coil I guess.

Chris

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
being that the machine is slightly used you might have a crack in the coil housing. I recommend you inspect it and also leave it out in the sun for a few days and then try it.

OP
OP
C

chris_m

Jun 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look at it tomorrow. If that's the case, are you saying there might be water inside? I suppose it will be ruined (by salt water) then? Should I get a new coil?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
give it a chance to dry out and find the crack or hole in the coil housing and repair it.

OP
OP
C

chris_m

Jun 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, thanks for checking in. No problem is not yet solved.
I realized the new batteries I put in were not alkaline, and then i haven't been back where the detector is to test with alkalines, which are apparently essential - so before that is done I guess I can't say much. I did however inspect the coil from the outisde, and there really are no cracks in the housing that can be seen with the bare eye.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all coils are waterproof, test it with a different coil if its CV oil then it will work with new coil, if it still does it, it is the detector.

geardoc

Aug 26, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem after using the coil in water. It never "dried out". To prove that it was the coil that went bad I tested a 4" coil, which works fine.

nextgen

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this problem ever solved?

I have been using mine which is a new machine and besides if it is water in the coil, it will continually beep if there is a lot of electrical interference in the area. That can be solved if you turn your sensitivity knob counter clockwise till the beeping stops or if you go out of your area and try the machine again.

If that don't work, I notices on my machine it constantly beeps if you are searching on an angle, like on a hill.

Example: Not up and down the hill but across it. Like if you are swinging it in lets say a 3 to 4 foot swing and one end of the swing is maybe a foot higher then the other end mine sometimes it will continually beep. Not all the time, I guess it can change if the ground is wet or or dry.

BUt is water did get in the coil can be shorting out or like you said " Salt Water" that can cause corrosion .

Like to hear if you fix or not. Hey Try another Coil if someone lives near you . Simple plug in and out to find the problem.

If it don't work with a working coil, then you have a problem..

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a coil cover you likely have black sand in the cover

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread