Trails that Go Nowhere

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For all Google Earth images inserted below, GPS coordinates at the bottom of the images are for the center of each image. The red box in the first image encloses the area of interest.

I've seen many trails on the slope of this mountain that seem to indicate much human activity in the past. Because those trails took considerable time and effort to construct, but seem to begin and end in improbable places, I associate those trails with prospecting for minerals.

In the second image, notice the unusual geology, and the trail that seems to lead to it. This is most probably a volcanic blowhole, and the trail could be just a natural fissure. I see no evidence of a mine dump.

The third image shows the network of trails on the mountain, with the "blowhole" inside the red box.

When I search areas for mining activity, I give priority to following trails. Those trails could lead to prospects and mines, especially if they seem to go nowhere and end suddenly.

A.png

B.png

C.png

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Not to discourage you and I don't relish being a wet blanket, BUT (which always follows that disclaimer) most of the trails in the Superstitions are created by animals. The cattle made many and wildlife made many more, and still are creating them. It is not safe to assume that a trail must have been made by human activities.

Please do continue, sorry for that discouraging word there!

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not discouraging at all, Oroblanco. I'm aware of what you stated, but failed to mention that in my initial post. Burros have made many trails in and near the Black Mountains here in Mohave County, Arizona. I do think, however, that people searching for mining activity using Google Earth are not wasting their time by following trails, wherever they might lead.

In the third GE image I provided, I see what looks like a disturbed patch of ground near the lower left side of the image, and what could be some rocks piled to form a crude retaining wall. I suspect some human activity at that location.

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another possible mystery in the Superstition Mountains --

This path/trail is north of Peters Mesa, and if I'm reading the topo map correctly, it could be in the vicinity of Cottonwood Canyon. I don't think it's part of Peters Canyon Trail. I can't make out the trail beyond what I see in the clearing. The path probably runs through grassy vegetation, but I somehow doubt if the path was made by wildlife coming there to feed on the grass. I see no evidence of human activity nearby.

001.png

002.png

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all Google Earth images inserted below, GPS coordinates at the bottom of the images are for the center of each image. The red box in the first image encloses the area of interest.

I've seen many trails on the slope of this mountain that seem to indicate much human activity in the past. Because those trails took considerable time and effort to construct, but seem to begin and end in improbable places, I associate those trails with prospecting for minerals.

In the second image, notice the unusual geology, and the trail that seems to lead to it. This is most probably a volcanic blowhole, and the trail could be just a natural fissure. I see no evidence of a mine dump.

The third image shows the network of trails on the mountain, with the "blowhole" inside the red box.

When I search areas for mining activity, I give priority to following trails. Those trails could lead to prospects and mines, especially if they seem to go nowhere and end suddenly.

View attachment 1914425

View attachment 1914426

View attachment 1914427
Hi skyhawk

I'm with Oroblanco statement that that trail was created by animals. I made a GE image to explain this. With white colour is the trail you have mentioned and with orange is the Bull Pass Trail.
A trail created by animals in many places splits in few brances, fact which shows they a declining little from the main path in regards to graze little the place along. But in every instance , those trails lead to a permanent water source which in the summer time would save their lives.
On the GE image, I marked with a blue circle a permanent seep spring ( not that which Geronimo and Waltz mentioned ) which was/is known to very few persons. For your info, the Spanish/Mexicans knew about it and in one of their maps, they have marked it. If you look closely, you will see at the place of the spring the trail splits in many mini paths around the spring before go down in Needle Canyon.

Attachments

• trails.jpg
    trails.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 63

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another possible mystery in the Superstition Mountains --

This path/trail is north of Peters Mesa, and if I'm reading the topo map correctly, it could be in the vicinity of Cottonwood Canyon. I don't think it's part of Peters Canyon Trail. I can't make out the trail beyond what I see in the clearing. The path probably runs through grassy vegetation, but I somehow doubt if the path was made by wildlife coming there to feed on the grass. I see no evidence of human activity nearby.

View attachment 2021275

View attachment 2021276
Another animals paths. Look how many are all over the place.

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you, markmar. A wildlife trail is an absolute possibility, and I would admit more likely than human activity in that location. My initial thought was that if animals were coming there to feed on grass the trail would not be so well defined through the grassy area. I'll take another careful look at that location to find other trails and to see if GE shows any sign of a seep.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1914425

View attachment 1914426

View attachment 1914427

View attachment 1914425

View attachment 1914426

View attachment 1914427
I use google earth some times . A lot of trails on there could possibly be animal trails. Animals have used the same trails for many many years. Just saying

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to discourage you and I don't relish being a wet blanket, BUT (which always follows that disclaimer) most of the trails in the Superstitions are created by animals. The cattle made many and wildlife made many more, and still are creating them. It is not safe to assume that a trail must have been made by human activities.

Please do continue, sorry for that discouraging word there!

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:
Seeing your dog picture gave me the idea of teaching a dog to smell for gold!!!

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are more trails that go nowhere. These are real puzzlers. The GPS coordinates included in each image mark the terminus/end of the trail in each respective image. I recommend using GE to go to each location, then backtrack on each trail as far as you like.

001.png

003.png

005.png

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are more trails that go nowhere. These are real puzzlers. The GPS coordinates included in each image mark the terminus/end of the trail in each respective image. I recommend using GE to go to each location, then backtrack on each trail as far as you like.

View attachment 2030224

View attachment 2030225

View attachment 2030226
Those trails are very known trails:
1- Geronimo head Trail ( a different route than that from Tom's monumented trail map ).
2- Boulder Canyon Trail
3- Grand Enchantment Trail ( or south fork Peter's Trail )

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
any trail takes repeated voyages along its length, long or short. if not, it would not be visible and called a trail.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some times the trails are left by animals

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Some times the trails are left by animals
Agreed, and if we include man in with the animal kingdom, then a large portion of the visible trails probably are. 👍😜

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know if i look in my pasture or any pasture for that matter the animals all follow the same trails
you can see this in almost any pasture you will see the same trails

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think a good way to grade a coin is to try and sell it to a collector. Then the price he offers just DOUBLE or TRIPLE IT 11

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man use animal's and animal use man's. So, always it's a trail.

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another trail that leads nowhere, GPS coordinates 33.463275, -111.318664.

The trail follows alongside the arroyo in the canyon bottom, then climbs up a hillside. What might look like the continuation of the trail higher up on the slope is actually a long, linear rock outcropping (dike). I see no sign of mining activity.

001.png

002.png

003.png

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the known Peters Trail which connects Tortilla Ranch with Charlebois Spring. Look in a topo map to see it better.

Attachments

• Peters Trail.jpg
    Peters Trail.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Peters Trail topo.jpg
    Peters Trail topo.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 24

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread