rocks3.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,827

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Sounds like quartz type material or a poor grade of jade. Do you have any better pixs? This would help with ID.

49er

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
agit* cant spell the damn word :D

Upvote 0

DesertRat

Jun 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesero Lobo Super Traq
Gypsy,

Check in with mindat.org very good website for mineral identification. Post your pics there. They can help out alot. Buy a Geological Map Sheet for that area from the Wisconsin Geological Survey (about $20.00) and learn about the geologic formations. Then buy the National Audubon Society Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals ($20.00). It's a great field guide. Or take your samples to a well know rock person or an old time prospector in your area for i.d.. If it's Chalcedony(agate) the following is from the field guide, "its a variety of quartz (silicon dioxide) often with some iron and aluminum. Gemstone data: Apple-green chalcedony is called chrysoprase; dark red or orangd-red to reddish brown chalcedony is called carnelian; dark green spotted with red inclusions is called heliotrope(bloodstone); distinctly banded specimens, in which adjacent bands differ in color and in degree of translucency, are called agate..."

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EDDEKALB said:
agit* cant spell the damn word :D
Agate* EddeK ;D

What hardness does it have?? (check MOH's scale)

Upvote 0

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it's kryptonite.
(Did I spell that right)?

Upvote 0

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say,but i have seen "slag" glass pieces that looked similar.Are there any bubbles or inclusions ?

Upvote 0

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Looks like quartz crystal to me and only reason I say that...we picked up a few pieces from the Crator of Diamonds...we found clear, pinkish and bluish colors...real pretty!...think I have a grayish (almost smokey one)...but not sure.

I put it under the microscope...but was really hard to see if it was crystal...

Upvote 0

Naturelady

Greenie
Nov 14, 2005
Columbia Gorge, Washington
Rough pics. Looks like chalcedony. (agate without banding etc). One looks like it
might have banding - that would be agate. One of the green ones has brown in it -
is that just dirt or is it actually in the rock? If it is actually in the rock you probably
have a moss agate - if it's metal, probably copper.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Naturelady said:
Rough pics. Looks like chalcedony. (agate without banding etc). One looks like it
might have banding - that would be agate. One of the green ones has brown in it -
is that just dirt or is it actually in the rock? If it is actually in the rock you probably
have a moss agate - if it's metal, probably copper.
Yeah chalcedony is a good guess.
Gypsy what hardness?
http://www.webmineral.com/help/Hardness.shtml

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
:)

Attachments

• rocks1.JPG
    rocks1.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,457
  • rocks2.JPG
    rocks2.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 2,383
  • rock3.JPG
    rock3.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,412
  • rock4.JPG
    rock4.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 2,481
Upvote 0

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason i think it is glass is do to the bubbles.I used to have some glass slag that looked just like that only mine was blue.We used to find it along the railroad tracks when we was youngun's. ;D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Ok It doesnt break or splinter like glass. It was found away from any homes or buildings along a river that had no road close to the spot ....was about 1/4 mile through woods.....I am not saying it isnt glass slag....but then how did it get there? And there is alot more there in the river bank.

When I hold it up to the sun or light...I can see through it...its hard...I have to really hit with a hammer to try and break it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions