leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
many people curse the trash when nugget hunting. i like it, (as long as its old trash)
it means the area is not hunted out.
sometime back i was hunting an area and finding bits of iron, i thought maybe parts from a dry washer.
turns out they are from prince Albert tobacco cans.
the old timers would sometimes put there claim paperwork in the can and put it in the rock cairns marking the claims.
i have found a few over the years but this one put me on some gold.
i blocked out the name of the seller and buyer as the info is google-able and im not done with the area.
the old can has a scratched in date of 1933 DEC 5, hard to see. that was the low point of the Great Depression.
life had to be hard back then.
i like history and reading up on old mines and miners. this can and paperwork are as good as gold to me.
the miner lived a good long life, but met a harsh end. i even know where he is buried.
i hope some day when im done i can reveal his name.

Attachments

• 20210824_160842 (2).jpg
    20210824_160842 (2).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
  • 20210824_144022 (2).jpg
    20210824_144022 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's amazing! Congrats!!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree on the trash thing. If I come across an area littered with the old style of pulltabs, I know that they are hiding Gold jewelry!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
cool.i always look in those cans.nothing yet.but this gives me hope.
thanks brad

Matthews940

Jan 8, 2020
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How funny! I should have taken a picture of it, but I found a can exactly like that one yesterday on a hunt. I thought it was possibly a cigar container.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finding those old cans is fun all by itself. Your bonus is that it held a valuable clue that set you on the trail to fresh gold, how great is that!?

Love the history attached to your find, and I love the history of anyone that was out there chasing the gold when times were tough.

All the best, and thanks for the pics and the story,

Lanny

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for taking the time to share this with the rest of us. It's very cool!

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time you might find the one he stashed the gold in :)
Nice to touch the history. Somedays I wish I could have lived back then in those organic times.. Life is hard now

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Next time you might find the one he stashed the gold in :)
Nice to touch the history. Somedays I wish I could have lived back then in those organic times.. Life is hard now

Interesting story about gold in a can. Where my gold camp is, there are lots of areas not far removed where there are long rows of hand-stacks of rocks the Old-Timers set aside while chasing the shallow, coarse gold. So, one day a guy with a metal detector showed up and said he was going to detect some of the piles.

When he came back from his outing, it was a shock. He had an old Chinese tea tin he'd found in one of the piles, and inside of it was a nice fat gold nugget (don't remember the exact weight, just remember the size of the nugget). The loud signal of the can had put him on the target and the gold was a real suprise.

All the best,

Lanny

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I found many of these cans n jars some had paperwork, sometimes fuse, matches, pieces dynamite, once a big rusty can with lid, inside an empty can of cherries and tomato sauce, labels intact.
Oldest can with paper 1894....
Just never know what that bleeper gonna sniff oot
Gt....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread