pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for posting up the useful tool idea.

I often use a rare earth magnet in nail beds/sites. Cuts down on locating multiple targets in a hole.
Liking the rake idea a lot, I can see where it would be really helpful in separating small iron when digging a trash pit.

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting up the useful tool idea.

I often use a rare earth magnet in nail beds/sites. Cuts down on locating multiple targets in a hole.
Liking the rake idea a lot, I can see where it would be really helpful in separating small iron when digging a trash pit.
Yes. It really helped at an old gold camp as stated, and I was detecting an old home site where the house had recently burned down, so lots of nails right on top of the ground. Saved me lots of bending and scraping on the ground.

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea.
Why, thank you, gillious. As they say, a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

You can get the rare earth magnets fairly cheap online. I got these on ebay., I also put a small flat/round one on the top of my hiking stick. If I get back west to dry lake beds will try it out on meteorite hunting. Flip my hiking stick over if a rock looks interesting and see if magnetic.

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is my cart, 5 250 lb rare earth magnet,the sit on a thin aluminum plate.the cable pull the away to drop eveything.the big tires lets it roll easy. works great View attachment 2012799 View attachment 2012800
Great idea if you have room. Yours will cover more area mine will get a bit deeper. Both very useful tools. Thanks for sharing. I love it.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those two ideas would be great on a beach to get all the bottlecaps and other Iron junk out of the way they would just need some depth to turn the sand.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel free to modify for some kind of sand tiller.
I don't think the beach cities would like me hitting their beaches with a tractor and a spring rake with magnets attached that was my first thoughts LOL

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the beach cities would like me hitting their beaches with a tractor and a spring rake with magnets attached that was my first thoughts LOL
Hint - find a tupperware your magnet will fit in. Makes turning that ball of magnetite back into a magnet a breeze.

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
In case you are metal detecting in a trashy area with lots of ferrous junk on top of the ground or close to the top, you might consider super magnets on a rake like this. It worked best at an old gold camp in the desert, but in grass and weeds, not so well. Super magnets are cheap and can speed up digging in the right areas.
That's a great idea Traveller. I tried something similar a few years ago with cow magnets but it didn't work as well as I had hoped. They were not strong enough.

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great idea Traveller. I tried something similar a few years ago with cow magnets but it didn't work as well as I had hoped. They were not strong enough.
Thanks Nevada. Rare earth magnets fairly cheap on eBay.

I like Nevada.been there a few times.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
I built a rake around 7 years ago with $150 worth of N52 magnets. Strongest magnet you can buy at the time and might still be. Every time I use it I find more non ferrous targets no matter what. There are now N55 but only marginally stronger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread