Traveling By Air - How to transport detector

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have flown SWA several times with an MD. Break it down to two parts and tape them together for support. It MUST fit in the overhead (carry-one). You will not be allowed to put it on the floor or lap. Alternate: in a hard case (I use a two gun hardcase) as checked baggage. No real big deal. (Welcome to Tnet) TTC

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Break it down and carry it on.......Matt

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i plan on taking mine wth me when we go to some islands soon. i think i will carry mine on just for safety

S

stefen

Another alternative is to place in a small fabric carry-on which is then placed inside of a larger bag with your clothes...

I've always used a small fabric bag and placed either in the overhead or below the seat...

PS...if you have a scoop, shovel or digger...carry in large clothing bag...scares the crap out of the scanning folks :thumbsup:

Jerry-Wi

Mar 21, 2009
Electronics and coil in carry on bag, poles in check luggage. One further point. When going through the security check point, put the detector, coil and pinpointer in their own plastic tub like you do with a computer. Every time I have not done it this way I have been questioned because they do not know what it is. Declaring it up front seems to show you are not trying to hide anything.

Enjoy your trip.

Jerry

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take mine on as carry on , remove the batteries (leave them at home )an when going thre security just tell em its a metal detector if asked an your good to go, I've never had a second look or any hassle .Get on the put it in the over head an have a great trip Happy Hunting :icon_thumleft:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took my machine with me last year when I flew (Southwest) and had no problems. I bought the small hard case from Whites (most machines will fit in it). It is padded and already cut out for your machine and accessories. It fits in the overhead easily and only one airport even opened it up to look at the contents. Have a great time and tell us about your trip when you get back.

luckymin

Greenie
Mar 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75, Minelab 705 goldpack, Tiger Shark, CZ21
When I travel and absolutely have to have a detector when i arrive, I put one in checked luggage and one in carry-on. I use a very large rectangular bag so each part can be well padded with clothing. But I'm actually more worried that the carry-on detector will be damaged. I've had some close calls with people cramming their stuff in the overheads. I recently flew to alaska with an F75 and an Xterra 705, both in checked luggage, and had no problems. But I was there for a couple days before I needed the machines, so if they'd been delayed the airlines could have gotten my luggage to me in plenty of time.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHen carry on any detecting stuff , tak a copy of WE&T. They see this and move you right on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions